[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can someone redpill me on lambda calculus

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: godess.jpg (72KB, 512x667px) Image search: [Google]
godess.jpg
72KB, 512x667px
does knowing this make you a god at software development or what?
>>
>>59697681
It's only of historical interest.
>>
think of lambda calculus as pseudo code
except you need to define literally everything yourself before you can use it
it's machine pseudo code written in algebraic notation
it's a meme
>>
>>59697681
Lambda Calculus is a world in which logic, programming, and mathematics are unified, in which every proof corresponds to a program, every program to a mapping, every mapping to a proof. Lambda Calculus is the central organizing principle of a theory of computation that integrates, unifies, and enriches the language of logic, programming, and mathematics. It provides a framework for discovery, as well as analysis, of computational phenomena.

Types are the specifications (theorems) of a program, and the rest of the code is the proof the theorem is correct via induction. Yes it will make you a 'better programmer'

I was going to post more to this but HitlerHiroMoot thinks gists on github are 'spam'
>>
>>59698071
>it's a meme guys pay no attention

There are two important models of computation, the lambda calculus and all the others.

The "others" are all machine models that differ from one another in uninteresting ways; they are all based on the idea of a program acting on data by modification. The lambda calculus is the sole language model. It is markedly different from machine models because it is based on one of the most important inventions of the human mind, the concept of a variable in mathematics (which is not at all related to the concept of a "variable", a misnomer for assignables in imperative programming languages and machine models). In the long run the only model that matters is the lambda calculus. Church got it right from the get-go, before the machine models existed, and it has not changed since
>>
>>59698099
Let me rephrase. From a theoretical/scholarly point of view, it's one of the most powerful models ever created and is very much worth of merit and study.

From a practical/"I'm going to videogames in html" codemonkey point of view, it's a meme
>>
I bet she smells of strawabewwies :3
>>
>>59697681
good thread. I too wanted to learn about it
>>
>>59698072
>>59698099
Do you suppose it's more relevant the more you deal with functional programming?
>>
File: taylor-swift.jpg (983KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
taylor-swift.jpg
983KB, 1200x1200px
>>59697681
>actual image
lel
>>
>>59697681
There was a guy who applied for a developer position who had a Masters in CS but still couldn't come up with a satisfactory solution to a simple technical challenge that involved only basic arithmetic.
>>
>>59699809
she looks like a fucking alien.
all tall and lanky like one
i bet her and trevor are related
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.