[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FSF asks to support DRM-Free Internet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: saintignucius.jpg (31KB, 321x445px) Image search: [Google]
saintignucius.jpg
31KB, 321x445px
https://twitter.com/fsf/status/847499463165755392

Well, are you guys going to call this guy up?
>>
>>59696014
This autism again? No, I'm not going to ask TBL to oppose a goddamn plugin system. Normies want their Netflix, and it's trivial to disable if you don't want it and doesn't harm you in any way.
>>
>>59696014
So basically its the absolving of the isp so that everyone can have access to the internet? My only issue is wouldn't this cause a massive strain on bandwidth which ruins the quality of the internet for user. Or no?
>>
>>59696183
It's against Encrypted Media Extensions that provide baked in ways to utilize DRM on the Web.
>>
>>59696208
Oh ok. Is this a good or bad thing? Is there any cons on it?
>>
>>59696032
Well of the campaigns FSF was rooting for I most wanted to support would've been this:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workstation
>>
>>59696232
Apparently according to
>>59696032
you'll be able to disable it, but that's not to say it won't become massively prevalent in the future to where it would be defeatist to disable it. It's also a stepping stone to more DRM.

Cons are this: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/06/call-security-community-w3cs-drm-must-be-investigated

Basically if you value control over software you'll hate the DRM.
>>
>>59696014
DRM is completely unnecessary, because intellectual propriety management is a fucking joke.

(Regionalism above)
Before Netflix became mainstream, most normies were trying to get into torrenting stuff to fulfill their normie needs, now Netflix is mainstream and what they do? the same thing that brought people to torrenting in the first place: no access or crappy service.

If IP people actually gave a shit about their product we wouldn't _NEED_ DRM on the internet. Yes I said Need because we absolutely need a proper DRM implementation and I think that if the Free Software Foundation thinks freedom and security are important to the normal user, then they should have implemented one ages ago.

While I don't fully agree with the document, DRM would solve a lot of issues( while creating others, but that's software engineering in a nutshell) that are caused by poorly implemented DRM engines. (Security wise, that javascript shit isn't secure at all).
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.