[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Xenforo Installation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: logo.og.png (1KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
logo.og.png
1KB, 200x200px
Hey /g/. I'm not much of a software guy and I've never set up a website before so I don't really know what I'm doing. I was wondering exactly what the process was to set up a Xenforo forum.

I've always loved Xenforo and now I think it's time to set one up myself, but they don't include hosting with their license so you have to use a third party. I was thinking GoDaddy since they have cheap and fast hosting and I've used them before for domain names.

GoDaddy supports Cpanel (whatever that is) and Xenforo mentions stuff like mySQL and PHP and all this other stuff I don't really understand. I would have no clue on how to install it and tutorials I've looked up don't really explain exactly what their doing.

Will GoDaddy work? What exactly would the instillation process look like?

Thanks in advance.
>>
File: peps.jpg (35KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
peps.jpg
35KB, 780x438px
>>59695480
>their
Fuckin hell I am a dumbass.
>>
>>59695480
GoDaddy is literal cancer, please avoid this company at all costs (google em, plenty of hate with good reason). I don't know shit about the shared hosting market as I host my shit on a VPS but I suggest you take a look at http://namecheap.com

As for setting it up, normally after buying and gaining access to the control panel you want to get access to FTP (you might get this already, check the email you'll probably get after ordering). Use a program like FileZilla to upload the contents of this Xenforo to a folder which is probably named httpdocs or www or something along those lines (differs per host). Once you have uploaded everything you want to visit your domain in a webbrowser and you'll probably have to go through a setup process. You'll need a database at that point and you can create one in the control panel of your host, get username, database name and password and enter it in the setup, follow instructions and you got yourself a forum.
>>
Also why would you want to buy forum software, there's plenty of free stuff out there like SMF and PHPBB. (those 2 will probably be super easy to install on namecheap as they have some magical shit there that can install that shit for you)
>>
>>59695593
Since you whittle it down like that it doesn't sound so hard. I have hardly any coding experience beyond basic css customization and am really not a software guy so I wasn't sure if people were scripting their own stuff in tutorial videos and leaving out that part of the process.

Filezilla, yes I remember most tutorials mentioning that will be required. I have used godaddy in the past and they've been fine, but as I said that's only for a few domains, I will look elsewhere for hosting.

Thanks a lot.
>>
>>59695634
I've tried it all mate. Excluding installation and customization, I've admined and help run all sorts of phpBB, zeta/zif boards, forumotion, freeforums, proboards forums and nothing beats Xenforo. The first time I tried xenforo was incredible and I was sure it was a totally custom design since I couldnt find any copyright or hosting notices (turns out they bought the removal of that stuff) and contacted the lead developer only to be told their forum was largely stock Xenforo with minor cosmetic changes. Coupled with the shoutbox thing for sale on the community forums and it was the best community I've ever been apart of, not because of the people involved or the subject or age range or anything like that, because those factors in this case could have created a cess-pool of childish shitposting and hate, like it has elsewhere on the same subject. Because of the great tools and opportunities the environment provided, it allowed it to blossom into what it was.

It's like a whole social network once you get just a couple key features imported, and with that shoutbox thing I mentioned, quite a few people I knew started becoming inactive on their twitters or facebooks or whatever these kids are on nowadays and spent most of their time on the forum which I haven't seen anywhere else.

Anyway, thanks for the 2nd recommendation of namecheap. I will check them out. Also haven't heard of SMF so I will check that out too as I only would like Xenforo for my main popular forum which I plan to pour a good chunk of effort into, I have other less important forums lined up so I am looking at free alternatives.

Thanks for the help so far guys.
>>
>>59695634
The forum I was part of has moved to some gay ass paid registration shit and non-users can't even see the site (dumb admin change over and decline in ad revenue did this).

But check this new one out I found the other day from Xenforo. It's more or less the same we had with a slightly different theme and layout.

https://nv-mp.com/forum/index.php
>>
phobb3 is piss easy to install
>>
>>59695480
15 seconds in google: https://xenforo.com/help/installation/

you are retarded OP. pay me to be your admin to install, configure, and maintain this shit for you
>>
File: namecheap.jpg (137KB, 1261x789px) Image search: [Google]
namecheap.jpg
137KB, 1261x789px
>>59697172
Yeah I read all that but it seems to contradict what some people say in tutorials in how to install it and people have said it leaves some stuff out. I just wanted to make sure. I have really bad luck with software. I am always going wrong with it. Because I don't have very good internet and it's capped I end up downloading and trying to install something only to download the wrong thing or have to download all these other things and it's just a headache.

Trying to get C++ to work with this one program was such a pain to figure out what was wrong that I just gave up.

But anyway, yeah I am liking this namecheap. They have options that I can't seem to find anywhere else, all this protection shit for a couple bucks really. Don't really like the idea that I can only pay for 1 year at a time but that's more than halved my upfront cost I suppose and the forum might end up paying for itself before then anyway.

I wasnt expecting you to be this helpful /g/ because I am a hardware man and suck at software, I wasn't expecting much besides "just google it". Thanks.
>>
>>59697301
I agree namecheap is a good registrar, i use them myself. might not be the cheapest but they are really good according to everyone.

what contradictions are you worried about? i mean the tutorial on their site is basically just a standard install, just like installing any other complex software im sure there are tons of more things you can do. if you fuck something up, wont be any harm in uninstalling and reinstalling to try again.

and yeah unless that forum you want is some crazy high level shit, a shared cpanel hosting plan will work fine.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.