[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

server parts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1489332827689.png (611KB, 598x495px) Image search: [Google]
1489332827689.png
611KB, 598x495px
where can i find some used severs/server parts? im looking to put a cheap server together for email and possibly a NAS.

1st time here on /g/, thanks in advance
>>
ebay
aliexpress
install gentoo
>>
>>59692470
didnt even think about aliexpress

why gentoo over windows server?
>>
>>59692456
eBay. But honestly you don't need a real actual server. I would pick up some older PC parts for cheap and put something together. A server is just a PC.

This is coming from someone that used to have a full blown lab. Replaced with two older PC's and virtualization. Quieter and better for the power bill.
>>
>>59692456
I dont understand why you would want to build your own server if you only need it for stuff like mail. You can rent a vps which is capable of doing this for 15$ a year.
>>
>>59692595
power bill isnt much of a problem

>>59692618
i want the expandability. i am gonna need 50-100tb of storage when i set up the nas, with cloud support.
>>
File: 1490905111376.jpg (10KB, 234x250px) Image search: [Google]
1490905111376.jpg
10KB, 234x250px
>>59692700
>i am gonna need 50-100tb of storage
so you have ridiculous storage and hardware requirements but you don't even know were to buy parts come the fuck on
>>
>>59693078
ive never bought server parts. i shoot alot of video(4-12hrs a week) in 4k60 and need the storage
>>
>>59693205
If you do this professionally you shouldn't build your own. Get something with support.
>>
>>59693205
Also, what are you planning for backups?
>>
>>59692562
It's better than genone
>>
Ebay for used servers, every now and then you get some decent cheap hardware, but don't trust the drives. Hard disk sentinel is your friend.
>>
>>59693205
You could also look at a Freenas from IXSystems. They've got professional nas builds for decent prices.

Also
>install gentoo
>>
>>59692700
>i want the expandability. i am gonna need 50-100tb of storage when i set up the nas, with cloud support.
If I'm really optimistic and say that you are just going to use WD Red instead of real (or god forbid SAS) server drive, 96TB of HDDs with a mirror would be 7800€ just for the drives. Are you really asking 4chan for this?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.