[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

a FOSS software better than proprietary?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1490352028392.jpg (21KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1490352028392.jpg
21KB, 960x540px
>>
>>59687326
Vlc or mpv
>>
>FOSS software
>free foss software
>free open source foss software
>>
>>59687344
MPC-HC you mongoloid
>>
>>59687344
also firefox or chromium
>>
>>59687326
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
>>
>>59687364
also obs and gparted
>>
>>59687359
How are nightly updates holding up?
>>
>>59687326
Qbittorrent and deluge

Linux ,BSD
>>
>>59687352
automated teller machine ATM teller machine
>>
>>59687326
i'm more of a bsd guy myself
>>
>>59687326
yeah, I know what you're thinking. It's FOSS, how can it be better than proprietary? I know proprietary is supposed to be more professional, but you know what they say: once a cuck, always a cuck
>>
in no particular order,

clang
gcc
nginx
kvm/xen
linux
any filesystem
lvm
luks
nmap
dd
vim/emacs/notepad++/nano
winscp
rsync
deluge/rtorrent/qbittorrent
audacity
ffmpeg
mpv/vlc
foobar2000
mumble
blender
gimp/paint.net
chromium/firefox
hexchat/irssi/weechat
calibre
keepass
openvpn
openwrt
7zip
retroarch/pcsx2/dolphin/mame/most emulators
>>
>>59687344
mpc -hc
>>
File: 1266126008249.jpg (68KB, 305x196px) Image search: [Google]
1266126008249.jpg
68KB, 305x196px
>>59687648
>kvm
Yeah, that's definitely better than esxi or hyper v
>>
File: laughinggirls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
laughinggirls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>59687715
>Yeah, that's definitely better than esxi or hyper v

no complaints with xen then? :^)

hyper-v is the only sane solution for windows, nobody is going to dispute that, and while vmware is a ridiculously good choice for support/tools/community and not having to roll your own anything it comes at an obvious premium - again, there's nothing wrong with this, different needs for different tasks, however the focus shift from the hypervisor to those really nice management tools et al that make vmware a really polished product has let kvm fill a huge niche in the heavy linux/nix market which is why you'll find most cloud companies tend to use kvm and why you'll find huge established companies dropping vmware in favour of rhev or other kvm solutions when they find they don't need the ease of setup or polish that vmware is known for, never mind that nesting hypervisors is a thing and is why esxi and hyper-v and esxi and kvm tend to work well together

apple and cisco are some of the companies that switched to kvm over vmware (this doesn't imply that they're only running rhev/kvm), british airways uses rhev/kvm, and huge cloud and storage companies like datadirect networks use kvm, I'd have pasted links here but spam filter is picking it up

at the end of the day, if you subscribe to the idea that one solution fits all problems you deserve everything you get
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.