[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think of SeaMonkey? Since firefox is going to die

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: SeaMonkey.png (306KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
SeaMonkey.png
306KB, 2000x2000px
What does /g/ think of SeaMonkey? Since firefox is going to die soon and palemoon isn't good enough for a replacement, I say SeaMonkey will become the next firefox.
>>
It looks like ass.
Why would anyone use this specific fork over the millions of other ones?
Why not icecat of seaweazel or waterfox or Cyberfox or palememe?
>>
>>59687155
It's not a fork, it's its own separate browser that's based off the old mozilla browser suite from 2005 and earlier. When firefox dies, forks like icecat, waterfox, cyberfox, etc all die too. PM is lucky enough to be independent enough that it can survive on it's own, but the team is too small and updates come out too slowly.
>>
>>59687075
I think it's awesome
>>
>>59687075
Will switch to this when FireFox 57 comes out.
>>
>>59687314
this
or palemoon, not entirely sure yet
>>
I heard that since thunderbird is considering leaving mozilla to become independent, seamonkey might do the same.
http://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/10/seamonkey-thunderbird-to-join-forces-after-mozilla-split/
>>
>>59687314

>FireFox 57
jesus christ is that what we're up to?
I've been ignoring firefox since 4
>>
It's fantastic as a productivity suite for work, since it allows you to bundle your email, contacts, calendar, and browser all in one convenient package. It's not very good as a browser, though, which is undoubtedly what 99% of people switching will use it for.
>>
>>59687075
I like it. Feels like Firefox before SJWs got to it.
>>
>>59687175
>PM is lucky enough to be independent enough that it can survive on it's own

That isn't at all true though. SeaMonkey is on life support as it is due to a lack of interest, both from users and developers. The current project is entirely reliant on the Firefox one to continue developing Gecko, new versions of which are integrated into SM. If Mozilla blinked out of existence, Gecko would get no more development and SeaMonkey would be left without a layout engine. The handful of developers working on SM can barely cope with their current workload, let alone maintaining Gecko as well.
>>
>>59687685
he said "PM", as in PaleMoon
PaleMoon has forked off the layout engine as well (gecko > goanna), unlike seamonkey (SM)
if any of these can continue without mozilla, it's palemoon
>>
>>59687759
As long as the furry main developer doesn't shove politics or his furry crap into the browser, I think it'll succeed.
>>
I unironically use Adblock browser.
>>
>>59687777
not all furries are overtly loud and faggy about it
just the ones you hear about most are, since they stand out more

i haven't seen anything furry in the browser itself, so i couldn't care less what his fetishes are. it's not like mine as any less weird
>>
>>59687607
They moved to chrome's versioning, where every month you release a version and increment the version number. Fucking stupid.
>>
>>59687607
Have you been living under a rock? This version numbering has been a thing since around 2011.
>>
>>59688639

>This version numbering has been a thing since Firefox started going downhill
really makes you think
>>
>>59687607
I used Opera v12 until support was dropped (I actually used it even a year after that) and then moved to Fx. Now I'll move to SeaMonkey. Chrom* browsers are resource hogs (not just RAM, but CPU as well) and have shit h/w video decoding, so they're a no go. Fx was good, but shit choices like Australis, Hello and Pocket while annoying, they could be removed (or avoided in case of Australis), but XUL removal and the new non customisable interface are just unacceptable.
>>
>>59687075

I have always liked it. using it now.

The new adblocking/tracking stuff built in to it seem very impressive.

I think the struggle for seamonkey is to continue to be built on the firefox infrastructure: many changes to the html engine are causing problems rendering the ?xul? UI.

The danger if you abandon the web engine is you loose a lot of shared developers.

That was my impression the last time I browsed the mailing list.

I am probably talking out of my ass, please correct if wrong.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.