[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm too stupid for Arch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: VVHXCCd.png (117KB, 1465x1007px) Image search: [Google]
VVHXCCd.png
117KB, 1465x1007px
After 6 months of constant struggle, I've grown to hate Arch Loonix, i3wm and everything related to it. Configuration takes a shitload of time, everything needs to be fucking learned from scratch, drivers mostly don't just werk and everything is fucking buggy.

I can't even figure out how to set up Ardour. I can't even get it to play a fucking note. I can't take this anymore /g/ please recommend me a non-meme Loonix distro.

Preferences:
- has a Just Werks(TM) DE/WM with a dark theme that ain't hard on the eyes
- easy to set up a DAW and audio drivers
- has a repository with security-oriented stuff (scripts for skiddie wifi leet haxor) and wifi drivers for rt2800
- Just Werks(TM)

Feel free to derail the thread and start a flame war over which distro is the best. I know it's gonna happen anyway.
>>
>>59674152
To unsubscribe from the blog, please reply with 'op is a fag'.
>>
op is a fag
>>
>>59674152
Debian
>>
>>59674196
This guy>>59674224
is too.
>>
Debian you skiddie shit
>>
>>59674152
Why didn't you just install a just werks DE on Arch? No configuration involved, literally just
>sudo pacman -S GNOME (or whatever just werks DE is your favorite)

Also,
>has a repository for security-oriented stuff
Not sure why you'd want it in a separate repository, but Arch has most of that stuff in its main repository.

As far as drivers go, it's the Linux kernel that handles hardware recognition. So if you can't get something to work on Arch, chances are it won't work on another Linux distro.
>>
>>59674152

Manjaro if you want Arch that Just Werks and won't break whenever you update.
>>
>>59674239
Spoke like a fag
>>
>>59674299
Yes, indeed you did.
>>
>>59674152
Install gentoo.

Once you get your keyboard working again after the first reboot, it's less than 100 wiki pages before you have a DE working. It's simpler than Ubuntu, really.
>>
>>59674152
most of the shit you mentioned is self-inflicted by using 1337 hacker shit like i3wm.

I've always used Xfce and KDE on Arch with little to no problems. maybe twice per years, an update will break something.

>I can't even figure out how to set up Ardour.
I use Arch to record guitar and bass and demo songs. install jack2 and qjackctl and it becomes trivial to make this shit work. in fact, jack is so god damn powerful that every other platform feels like a pain in the ass in comparison.

add properly polished audio tools and fx plugins to Linux and it'll be the best platform for music production by far.
>>
>>59674272
hahahahha

Manjaro is Arch with cinnamon pre-installed but with more bugs

>won't break whenever you update
Manjaro uses the same package manager as Arch, and their repos follow the same "bleeding edge" philosophy, so you're basically getting the same thing as Arch when you update but from a more niche distro that's less popular and has less devs working on it.

OP please do NOT go with Manjaro, or Antergos, or Linux Mint, or Elementary, or any other meme distro that is based off of another. 9/10 times you will end up with a broken glitchy system.

There are a few main distros to choose from: Debian, Ubuntu (still based off Debian but with enough work and manpower behind it to be considered an independent effort), Arch, Gentoo, and Fedora. Literally everything else is just memey "based off of" and guaranteed to be buggy.
>>
>>59674372
I forgot to mention older distros like Slackware. But I'm mainly referring to popular modern distros.
>>
>>59674366
Enjoy your ransomware.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1060828.html
>>
>>59674397
W E W

I now have a significantly lower opinion of gentoo
>>
>>59674429
dude ran firefox as root

would have happened on any distro
>>
>>59674397
>running Firefox as root
>running anything at all as root unless it actually needs root privileges

Let's face it, that's not Gentoo's fault.
>>
>>59674429
What the fuck would even possess someone to do that
>>
>>59674372
Antergos is fine, their only change is adding a repo for their changes to the DE.I have an install that's been running for a couple of years.It's nothing but Arch with some visual mods and an installer.
>>
>>59674397
I'm amazed this retard was able to install Gentoo, but didn't have the brain cells to not run a browser as root. Mods should have banned this idiot immediately.
>>
>>59674439
Are you saying that I shouldn't be running JAVA® applets that I get in chain emails as root? I was wondering why my computer ran so slowly.
>>
>>59674372

>Manjaro is Arch with cinnamon pre-installed

Manjaro comes with XFCE, you fucking retard. There's a cinnamon flavor, but it's not official or supported at all.

>Manjaro uses the same package manager as Arch, and their repos follow the same "bleeding edge" philosophy

Except their updates are delayed by two weeks for testing to ensure they won't fuck anything up.

>niche distro that's less popular

#3 on Distrowatch. WOW, SUCH NICHE

Why the hell are you even commenting about Manjaro when you obviously know absolutely fuck all about it?
>>
>>59674610
because it's buggy shit
>>
>>59674690

You'll have to forgive me if I don't take your word for it, since literally everything else you said about it is objectively and demonstrably wrong.
>>
>>59674152
>- has a Just Werks(TM) DE/WM with a dark theme that ain't hard on the eyes
>- easy to set up a DAW and audio drivers
>- has a repository with security-oriented stuff (scripts for skiddie wifi leet haxor) and wifi drivers for rt2800
>- Just Werks(TM)
Sounds exactly like Windows 10.
>>
What's the problem with i3wm? It works pretty well for me.
>>
>>59674372
>Manjaro
can confirm, is shit

Downloaded and installed the XFCE version. Looks and feels great at first, but after a few weeks the cracks start to show

Just get a real distro OP
>>
>>59674152
You are looking for manjaro.

Everything WERKS and you get some not too shitty looking pre-riced desktop.

It also dies a lot less often then arch, but still gives you access to the AUR where you will fond all the software you need.
>>
>>59674372
>arch with more bugs
Hit the nail

>Elementary
This. These distros based off of other distros always feel incomplete and sloppily glued together

The Linux community would probably be a lot better in terms of quality if people stopped making shitty Ubuntu/Debian based distros or Arch based distros and instead put their efforts towards improving the main distros
>>
>>59675030
>dies a lot less often than Arch
when the fuck does Arch "die" and what does "die" even mean you goddamn tech illiterate lol
>>
>>59675096
>>59674372

SAMEFAG
A
M
E
F
A
G
>>
>>59675157
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>59675368
Idk man maybe he's just retarded
>>
>>59675378
Thanks me too
>>
>>59675398
thanks me too
>>
>>59675404
thanks me too
>>
>>59674152
Go download Korora and use the Gnome3 version
>inb4 anti-systemd/redhat/gnome3 shills
>>
>>59675437
>needing a fedora spin off

fedora itself works great out of the box and you only need to add a single repo to get access to non foss
>>
>>59675800
OP asked for JustWerks
not JustWerks after you configure it and hunt down non-free repos and install everything you need
>>
>ctrl f ubuntu studio
>no results
The fuck, /g/?

Also sage for no real time kernels.
>>
>>59674152
>>59674160
>OP is a fag
>>
>>59674152
If you like arch but not the configuration that's why distros like Antergos and Manjaro
>>
Stop wasting time and just install Windows 10.
>>
>>59674746
Just some of the shit their team has pulled over the years:
http://web.archive.org/web/20150409040851/https://manjaro.github.io/expired_SSL_certificate/ (this has happened twice)
Also, you get updates way behind arch (think weeks) leaving you a lot more insecure.
This coupled with the incompetency of the developers should be more than enough reason not to use it
>>
>>59674467
+1
>>
File: Screenshot_20170331_180038.png (968KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170331_180038.png
968KB, 1920x1080px
>>59674450
>Yeah, I'm guilty of running FireFox as root. Shame on me - I should have known better.
lolololololol

I'm trying out openSuSE tumbleweed desktop

I'm liking everything except for the arbitrary capitalization in a case sensitive OS.
>how intuitive that the firewall is managed with "SuSEfirewall2" and it has no manpage.
>no yast can't do it all
>>
>>59674152

Arch is brilliant. Just use Ubuntu if you lack the ability to read the wiki page.
>>
>>59678917
How the fuck did you setup i3 like that??
>>
>>59679015
as impressive as i3gaps is in screenshots I removed it as it's wasted pixels.

also for a scatterbrain like me maximum productivity is achieved when I can only see 1 thing and nothing else.
>no transparency
>no taskbar/clock
>if 2 apps are open they snap/left-right and relate the the same task

I really like base i3wm for this.

>t. employed
>>
Antergos. What Manjaro wants to be when it grows up.
>>
>>59679217

You implying it's unproductive to have a 30px border around the windows? It makes absolutely no difference to my workflow.
>>
>>59679217
Do you still have the configs for it? It looks super comfy.
>>
>>59676202

This. Ubuntu studio is just what OP needs.
>>
>>59679356
the loss of pixels is nothing
the loss of focus is everything

>I don't pretend I can watch TV while I work
>I don't pretend I can listen to music with audible words
>I hide notifications for everything except select applications

It's not the pixels wasted on the gaps but rather the fact the gaps make themselves and the wallpaper known at all times. Even win can hide the wasted taskbar space and distraction

if there was a toggle gap button that would be cool
>>
>>59674152
Check out Ubuntu Studio, it's built for multimedia production, so Ardour works right out of the box. It uses xfce4 if im correct so the interface shouldn't be a hassle.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.