[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on tiling WMs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: tuah.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tuah.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Redpill me on tiling WMs
>>
>>59671100
no
>>
File: 1488090055164.png (425KB, 589x539px) Image search: [Google]
1488090055164.png
425KB, 589x539px
a literal meme
>>
used by basement dwelling neets
>>
>hurr derr its so efficient!!!!!
>hol up let me create a keyboard shortcut in the terminal!!!!
>pedo movies with no borders and a anime girl wallpaper with the girl focused in the right corner!!!!!

frig off
>>
>>59671338
That's not how the Linux kernel works, but that is how Gentoo Linux works.
He would know if he ever
>installed gentoo
>>
File: Selection_599.png (312KB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
Selection_599.png
312KB, 1919x1079px
>>59671100
more efficient for work, if you actually do that

not useful for the majority of people who use /g/ though, they just want a cool riced anime girl desktop

pic related is my computer, using a tiling WM. No anime girls, no floating windows, no wasted space. Just a text editor on the left for writing code, and a terminal on the left for compiling/debugging/pushing to bitbucket.

It really IS more efficient if you actually have work to do, like university projects or an actual career in software/web development.

this guy>>59671403 is lying, you don't have to create keyboard shortcuts in i3, I haven't done that at all, everything works out of the box. Press the windows buttton + Enter to open a terminal, windows + Shift + Space to enter floating mode if you need to, Windows + D to open a program, Windows + Shift + Q to close a program, Windows + Shift + E to logout. Very convenient and efficient workflow

Windows + left arrow to focus on the program to the left, windows + right to focus on the program to the right, up and down to focus on programs up and down if you have those open.

The nicest thing about it for me is that I rarely ever have to take my hands of the keyboard, and that the keyboard shortcuts are very convenient, and that there's no wasted space; when you open a program it automatically tiles it for you to fit the screen, though you can enter floating mode if you need to. The "no wasted space" is actually a lot more important than you'd think, that extra screen real estate is very nice to have and once you've worked that way for a while you don't want to go back to having start menus and task bars take up precious space. I even disabled program window titlebars to give me even more extra space.
>>
>>59671551
>terminal on the left
*terminal on the right
>>
It's good if you want to get work done, or just look cool in front of your friends.
>>
>>59671100
the main idea is that preventing partial window overlaps, your workspace isn't a virtual clutter simulator.

tiling + tabbed interfaces work great, although nested tabbing does not seem useful/intuitive for most people beyond one or two levels, including counting workspaces as effectively a tabbed interface.
>>
>>59671446
>Linux
*GNU/Linux
>>
>>59671635
CUK/Fagot
>>
Instead of Ctrl+tab tab tab tab tab to get to the window you want you just have everything full screen automatically started on its own workstation with alt+1-0 to swap between them.
>>
>>59671551
>floating windows
Isn't the basis of a tm in first place not having floating windows?
>>
>>59671551
>Just a text editor on the left for writing code, and a terminal on the left for compiling/debugging/pushing to bitbucket
You can do that without much effort with any decent stacking WM though, even Windows.
>>
>>59671551
>using Atom
what's up with /g/ lately?
>>
>>59674625
the point is at least not to have things floating by default.
but unless every application gets its GUI reworked to have things be usable and look good in arbitrary WM-imposed dimensions, a fallback is pretty much mandatory.
>>
>>59674651
Right, but then you're using Windows. Fuck that
>>
>>59674716
I said any decent stacking WM, that includes GNOME and KDE.

Also Windows is superior to Linux.
>>
>>59674651
yeah but it's inconvenient to open two programs, then drag them to the left or right to start split view.

with a tiling manager you're already guaranteed to have each program automatically sized and split accordingly. And if you want to use more than just the left-right setup, for example you want to open a third program, you can Windows+V to tell it that the next program you open should be tiled vertically rather than horizontally, then Windows + D to open it.
>>
File: Blue-Screen-of-Death-Windows-10.png (35KB, 650x373px) Image search: [Google]
Blue-Screen-of-Death-Windows-10.png
35KB, 650x373px
>>59674747
>Windows
>superior to anything
>>
>>59674747
>>59674807
kek
>>
File: pooinloo.png (184KB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
pooinloo.png
184KB, 659x609px
>>59674747
>Windows
>>
>>59671100
I use i3 and I like it.
It has several features which I find useful.
You should try a tiling wm and see if you like it.
Maybe you will, maybe you wont, but you should try it yourself and get your own opinion instead of relying on memes.
>>
>>59674814
>probl W (0
neat
>>
>>59671100
most efficient use of screenspace if you actually use them right, which 90% of /g/ does not
>>
>>59671100
you'll loose all the flexibillity you had with window management.
Such as freely rezisable windows
>>
>>59674807
well at least windows secures the contents of you RAM when it crashes

linux is just stuck until you pull the powerplug, when it's actually stuck.

Also: I haven't encountered a BSOD wich I wasn't able to fix almost immediately
>>
>>59671100
If I want a window to take 2/3 of my screen and another to take 1/3, it's already done. If I want floating windows, it has that too. I like i3 very much.
>>
Is there any solution to the tab problem? I want to use a browser, but then I get two sets of tabs. I want to use Emacs, but then I get two sets of buffers. I have to switch between programs and the tabs or buffers within my programs.
>>
>>59675901
Don't use tabs. Use separate workplaces instead. By default META+0-9 for your workspaces and shift meta+0-9 to move a window there
>>
>>59671338
>censoring yourself
what a cuck
>>
>>59675770
>it's just werks
Haha, i know that meme.
>>
>>59675822
>>>59671100 (OP)
>If I want a window to take 2/3 of my screen and another to take 1/3, it's already done. If I want floating windows, it has that too. I like i3 very much
>>59675822

Yea but you seem like someone who does real work, most of them just play gayms and browse the web.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.