[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I lost 300gb of data yesterday and I need to find the cause.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: 1445295141527.png (377KB, 502x400px) Image search: [Google]
1445295141527.png
377KB, 502x400px
I lost 300gb of data yesterday and I need to find the cause. I downloaded crystal tools which says my HDD is in a good state.

The data I lost was all from 2017, not a single file still on the drive is from 2017.
I ran a data recovery program, and some of the files recovered show a "recycle bin", which has some of my lost folders in it. Meaning it was put in the recycle bin first.
Most of the data lost were movies, isos, roms, some phone recordings, a bunch of wallpapers. my resume, my gamedev project, all my webms.
Also 2 people have called my phone and got a "wrong number", one of them being from out of the country. I've literally not had this happen in years. One of my neighbours who I share a network with sometimes talked about how he was being hacked constantly, and had to get a new phone number every once in a while.

I need to step up my security and want to find out who's doing this. Any advice?
>>
What do you mean by "lost"? Did you format your disk by accident or you turned on your PC once and it didn't boot?
>>
>>59670507

Read your auth logs. If they got wiped too, change your setup to also log to a remote host.

Probably nothing weird actually happened, so just restore your data from backups.
>>
File: 1490931371611.jpg (78KB, 578x467px) Image search: [Google]
1490931371611.jpg
78KB, 578x467px
your files was in the middle of gettng encrypted by a virus. ain't getting them back since it was in progress.
>>
>>59670944
I was playing a game, and recording on other drives than the drive affected, it started stuttering, i quit out the game. ANd then i saw my files were missing.
>>
>>59672774
mind you i didn't do anything to delete them, format the drive, or anything. Just various folders and files are missing, and it doesn't make any sense which ones are gone. only that no 2017 files exist anymore and it's mostly media, pictures, isos and txt files
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.