[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are VPNs actually any good for protecting privacy or are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170331_082137.jpg (201KB, 1080x820px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170331_082137.jpg
201KB, 1080x820px
Are VPNs actually any good for protecting privacy or are they just a 'meme'?
>>
Host your own vpn for 5$/mo through amazon or digital ocean or

Swiftonsecurity is blowing hot air out his roleplaying asshole.
>>
File: tf.png (50KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tf.png
50KB, 1000x1000px
Tay is just being a contrarian edgelord. I can't really blame her for it since there are many autists out there who believe VPNs are a magic bullet, but writing all VPNs off as "you just want to feel like a leet haxor" is asinie.
>>
>use VPN
>flags up
>they use hardware backdoor to just track you from your end rather than the network's end

Not totally a meme, but not the cure-all people make them out to be.
>>
>>59668143
the whole idea behind a vpn is your isp no seeing what your looking but you should also use tor for extra protection
>>
>>59668122
This.
>>
>>59668239
I think you're not familiar with how VPNs / network connections work. Which is fine, it's not easy stuff and marketing / services don't make it easier.

Normal internet usage is like sending a ton of envelopes out in the mail. Some go to netflix, some to 4chan, some to google, a bunch to youtube, etc.

Using a VPN is like sending crates of unmarked packages to a single address. And when that address is a business that sells re-distribution, people start to put two and two together.

Someone sending mail to a few address? No one bats an eye. Someone sending out tons of crates to a single address? People get called.
>>
File: tmp_819514824432604771429544096.jpg (35KB, 385x375px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_819514824432604771429544096.jpg
35KB, 385x375px
>>59668298
The is one of the most retarded things I've ever we read on /g/. Your ISP would only see your traffic leaving via an encrypted tunnel and exiting at the VPN provider. That only tells them that you subscribe to a VPN provider, big fucking deal. Use a VPN provider that doesn't store logs, such as pia. All they can tell anyone who inquires is that you use their service, they have no logs to turn over.
>>
>>59668352
??? Yes that was my point. That the ISP would still know that you're using a VPN and that the point >>59668143 was making is valid.
>>
>>59668352
>VPN provider that doesn't store logs, such as pia
>they have no logs to turn over
Proof?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>59668352
>Use a VPN provider that doesn't store logs

You're using a VPN to get around ISPs storing logs.

So riddle me this - where do you think VPNs get internet access from?
>>
>>59668373
Using a VPN doesn't send a red flag. Millions of people with jobs use vpns from home every fucking day. If you honestly think you're less secure (via raising a red flag) by using a VPN than not using one at all, you're a retard.

>>59668382
https://torrentfreak.com/vpn-providers-no-logging-claims-tested-in-fbi-case-160312/
>>
>>59668389
You have no idea what a VPN tunnel is do you? Stop posting.
>>
>>59668373
many jobs require using a vpn like in the banking industry and even if you do not use a vpn at home many use them in public areas
>>
>>59668391
>proof!
Well, colour me pleasantly surprised!
>>
>>59668391
>Using a VPN doesn't send a red flag.

It can be differentiated against normal traffic and then backdoored. The NSA would only need to have the data warehouse to store what they collect. Do you even automate?

>>59668399
Explain what's wrong with my analogy.
>>
>>59668382
you need to research the vpn provider in order to see if they comply with the laws in your country
>>
>>59668422
I'm not going to explain encryption and authentication to a normie
>>
>>59668418
The point put forward by >>59668143 still stands.
>>
I don't know about privacy but they let me use youtube / etc from here in China...
>>
>>59668389
>>59668399
you use a fucking vpn that is not hosted in your county or a country that complies with your county's laws or the eye's program.
>>
>>59668428
He is going beyond that, my good niglet. You will want to discuss traffic profiling instead.
>>
>>59668428
What is there to explain? The data packets are sent through an encrypted tunnel to a third party who then forwards those packets on to their destinations. Responses are sent to the third party who sends them through the tunnel back to the original sender.

It just exactly like sending crates full of letters to someone to redistribute. If you are caught up in the encryption and actual authentication schemes then learn how to compartmentalize concepts you autist.
>>
>>59668453
Thank you anon.
>>
>>59668460
You're a retard or a shill. I really don't care if you spew misinformation, I'm unaffected.
>>
>>59668444
Expect a visit from your good neighbour the officer shortly
>>
>>59668431
alright then we should all be paranoid about unknown cars outside of our houses then
>>
>>59668477
Put up or shut up bitch. I did my putting up, looks like you can't.
>>
>>59668488
Is not paranoia is they are in fact out to get you
>>
>>59668422
so what about all the banking employed that use vpn to access the banks internal networks. do all those connections get compromised. or what about other government employees that use a vpn to connect to internal networks
>>
>>59668493
>muh Bill Nye the scientific goy tier explanation
>muh if you use a VPN the government will think you're suspicious!!! Better go completely unprotected instead

Literally not worth the effort
>>
>>59668418
Do take a look at the Aquafresh branch of OpenVPN
https://openvpn.fox-it.com
>>
>>59668526
You too
>>59668529
>>
>>59668527
>Better go completely unprotected instead

I never said that. My point is that there is no difference between the two. So it's not better to go unprotected. It's that there is no protection.

It's comical that you think a VPN would protect you. But so far you've shown no knowledge of VPNs, basic networking, or computer security.
>>
>>59668488
Think of it in terms of surveillance. THen you might see what I mean.
>>
>>59668527
Not him, but raw VPN may get you some attention. Instead of dismissing it or surrendering, try a way around it. An option could be to wrap it in HTTPS for example in addition to using TCP:443.
>>
>>59668122
Got a dmca through my digital ocean vpn, torrents are against their terms
>>
>>59668574
HTTPS / TCP 443 isn't going to protect much. The VPN connection is already encrypted - there is no seeing in. The bigger problem is that all traffic leaving your home connection will have the VPNs IP address. The encrypted packets still need an address to get to the destination.
>>
>>59668431
so what everyone is fucked regardless
>>
>>59668143
what hardware backdoor are they using then
>>
>>59668529
>>59668536
>>59668143
according to last post i linked it does not matter if you use that you are fucked
>>
I use it to prevent ISP and copyright faggots when I'm torrenting movies/tv shows/games, not government. I feel like the government won't reveal that a VPN provider is being watched over some fucking movie being downloaded, I'm sure they're looking for more severe shit before blowing their load.

If the government wants, they will get access to your shit so no point fighting it. Just don't be a terrorist fuck or a pedophile fuck that should be shot at sight then you'll be okay.
>>
>>59668658
> be arab
> love lolicon

shit.
>>
>>59668595
>The VPN connection is already encrypted - there is no seeing in
Indeed, it is useful for obfuscation and layer4 firewalls, but deep packet inspection will show you aren't using https itself. You can verify that on Wireshark, it's quite educational!
That's why you want to use an https proxy with, yes, a second layer of SSL.
Example: https://snikt.net/blog/2016/12/01/openvpn-over-https/

It will be most useful when you are indeed browsing http[s] as the traffic will genuinely look like https and have allegedly the same (or negligibly more) bandwidth.
>>
>>59668678
>be loli
>love arabcon

:^)
>>
>>59668657
Of course, it's not a matter of whether but of when. Fortunately, you can research the tools to delay it.
>>
>>59668681
How does https hide the destination address smartypants?
>>
>>59668681
> he thinks he's hot shit because he's heard of wireshark and he googled the first vpn/ssl link he could find and posted it even though it's basically not relevant
>>
>>59668700
It will indeed look like you're browsing one server all day long. A more elaborate setup could involve multiple servers and round robin, and before you realise it you are de facto making a tor or i2p clone.
>>
>>59668714
read the thread faggot
>>
>>59668729
Unfortunately traffic to that can also be profiled. And that's before we get into things like Deep Packet Inspection
>>
>>59668714
I'm just sharing what works for me for escaping a layer 7 firewall and what I learned in the process, which does come in very handy here if you do take a moment to read
>>
>VPNfags still think VPN providers don't log them
>>
>>59668750
That's why I mentioned https tunneling previously: >>59668681
>>
>>59668784
>not reading the thread
>not hiring a molvanîan vpn in shuffled bitcoins
>>
>>59668657
if i needed that level of security, i wouldn't use my home connection
>>
File: reaction_barn_xmradio.jpg (120KB, 645x525px) Image search: [Google]
reaction_barn_xmradio.jpg
120KB, 645x525px
>>59668780
>>59668790

HTTPS does not hide or in any way obfuscate the TCP/IP headers with the VPNs address. Firewall bypasses don't apply because whether a firewall blocks or allows a connection - it still sees it. And that's what the concern is, the connection being seen.

What's important is that you both(?) think this will actually protect you. While they're arresting you it'll give me more time to download in peace.
>>
>>59668842
That is indeed one shortcoming if you don't have access to a proper gateway into which to vpn. Do share what is your solution then. Tails? Living in a jurisdiction with lax torrenting laws?
>>
>>59668842
It hides the fact that you're using a vpn. The connection will be seen, but unless someone checks who the IP belongs to, it will look like you're just browsing another https website.
This is definitely useful if you're not allowed to use a vpn and can for example be used to circumvent the great firewall of china.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.