[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IP contract clauses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: hi-tech_slave.jpg (60KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
hi-tech_slave.jpg
60KB, 1024x768px
Hi /g/

I'm negotiating an contract with an 'employer' that I contract to.

They're putting a shit 'we own everything you create' clause in it, even though I'm a contractor not an employee and the contract is with my incorporated business, not personally.

What's the worst IP ownership clauses you've had in your contracts?
What are the best?

I've had to put my foot down once before in a job and got something kind of watered down but this time, I'm not really in a position to argue since I actually have a very sweet deal except for this and can get around this clause in various ways.
>>
If your company is small you can usually just incorporate another and sell the old one to the new.
>>
>>59667855
If you actually plan on doing any work just get them to sign an exclusion or something
>>
>>59667908
>If your company is small you can usually just incorporate another and sell the old one to the new.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. I might do that, or I might register IP ownership with my company as a personal asset that my company just manages for me. So I can rent webservers through it (i.e. before tax) but it doesn't actually own anything that I do on them.

>>59667983
>If you actually plan on doing any work just get them to sign an exclusion or something
Sure but I just don't want to. I'd have to do that for every repo that I do a PR on, or even just say, workshop content that I release on Steam.
>>
>>59667855
Isn't that illegal in the first world?
>>
>>59669007
Only in some parts of it but it varies by jurisdiction.

I believe it's not-enforceable or overridden by legislation in California but Texas lets the bosses do whatever.

Commonwealth countries mostly support it though I think UK itself has some protections. If the clause is too one-sided then it *might* be nullifiable in some states of Australia but you couldn't count on it.
>>
>>59667855
Just put conditions in the code where the program will crap itself unless you are there to "fix it". Then you either keep getting paid to fix it, or you can charge them extra to use a version that you own which has a permanent solution.
>>
>>59670398

don't do this, it's a stupid idea and you will get sued for doing it
>>
>>59670548
>don't do this, it's a stupid idea and you will get sued for doing it
Don't worry, I wouldn't.

Anon has never heard of commit logs and in anycase, some future dev would just find whatever you did and report it. Blaming stuff on the last guy is the default position in IT and if it's actually deliberately your fault, then you're super-fucked. At the very minimum, you'd never get a good reference from them.

Of course, forgetting to set a cron job to clear diskspace is another matter but regardless, I like the job, want to keep it and just want to not have to tell them everything I do outside of work.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.