[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How useful is a network+ certification for someone who has no

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 20170128_213031.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
20170128_213031.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
How useful is a network+ certification for someone who has no degree or technical schooling to put on a resume?

Do you know of good resources to study for it?
>>
>>59654968
on one hand, you gotta start somewhere.

on the other hand, a cert with no degree is only worth anything combined with other certs and experience.
>>
>>59654968
any current, relevant cert is good to put on a resume as long as it's applicable to the job you're applying for
>>
>>59656432
so far I can only think of network+ being applicable to the sort of work I am starting in, to help advance me elsewhere after gaining experience here.
What else would be wise to pair with a network+? Certainly not A+?
>>
Certs show you know something at all if no experience.

A+ is mostly worthless it's like putting grade 12 on your resume
>>
>>59657488
This is the conclusion I've come to regarding A+. I am not sure what else would be worht pursuing alongside a network+ cert. Linux?
>>
I'm 27 with 10 years of experience (I'm the asshole kid they show in movies running a department) and the IT Director for a company with 2,000 employees.

I don't have a college degree, but I did get an A+ when I was 15 and felt it was a good foot in the door. I got a N+ when it launched in 2015 and felt like it was a great introduction for someone that has basic computing skills but really no knowledge of technology. It is a good skillset to have if you're looking to get into level one/helpdesk somewhere.

I'd watch some videos online, or find a community college with an agreement with Lynda.com or Pluralsight as both of those sites have training videos for the CompTIA classes.

I'd also recommend getting your CCNA and MCITP. There's a couple of Apple certifications you can take online without any studying as well for $50 each or so that are good for padding resumes. They have fancy titles but are glorified certificates stating that you know how the desktop operating system works.

Honestly though I'd probably be getting into security if I was starting now. Infosec is the future. Get a Security+ as a start and then CEH or GSEC or both.
>>
>>59657909
I've just recently gotten into a helpdesk type job. I Was wondering if the network+ cert would help accelerate me into the next step from there, if I don't really want to invest a year or more in this job.

Would security+ be at all relevant to work in a helpdesk environment? I am trying to etch some continuous/coherent path with job exp and certs, with the goal of advancing myself quickly.
>>
>>59657909
>MCITP
Seems to be becoming irrelevant/outdated?
>>
>>59658081

N+ is more just to help yourself rather than make you more valuable. Consider your company though. Is there a path to advance further? Ask your superiors what they value. If there isn't any growth, consider another company unless you're really happy.

>>59658138

It is, but a lot of companies are really familiar with it and therefore expect you to have it. I don't have it despite my company listing it as a requirement for people under me (don't tell my staff that though).
>>
net+ is awful, but it could land you an internship
it might get you an HR interview, but it will not get you through your technical interview for a job

go with an entry level vendor specific networking cert, so you can practice and have an idea on how to demonstrate a level of knowledge

net+ is basically "oh, yeah, i heard that you can do that, i have no idea how to do it though"
you'll be completely lost with it, it's ridiculously barebones
>>
>>59658555
>vendor specific networking cert
Examples?

>>59658471
>N+ is more just to help yourself rather than make you more valuable
So utilising study material for it wouldn't be a bad idea, but generally not worth paying for the test/certification?
>>
>>59654968
it's a liability...

i could shit in a box, and certify it, it's still a certified piece of shit..

it might get you the job, but you wont know much more than the next guy.. maybe a little
>>
>>59658606
cisco is the most recognizable path if you're serious about networking, a CCIE proves what most would agree to be a doctorate level of knowledge
you'd be starting with CCENT/CCNA with them
it's pretty much mandatory if you're looking to climb any metaphorical ladder

juniper is more relaxed (not "easier", just less stringent), the competition is less fierce, the businesses that use it are generally smaller than who would be using cisco equipment
you might need a bigger skillset than just networking though, you'll probably have to accept more responsibility and have less chances for on the job training, but it may be better payout right off the bat
>>
>>59658606
>So utilising study material for it wouldn't be a bad idea, but generally not worth paying for the test/certification?

Yep. I did that with the A+. Had a class where we were taught the material, got an internship from that, used it practically then took the test.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.