[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else is luddite here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 7

File: luddite-books.png (1MB, 1109x1556px) Image search: [Google]
luddite-books.png
1MB, 1109x1556px
>>
>>59653168
>>>/l/eddit
>>
>>59653174
shit, no /l/
>>
you left out my favourite:
>>
>>59653168
Nobody who has ever been immunised, vaccinated, treated, seen by a doctor, had a family member fall ill or been in an accident and needed medical treatment.

If you still are after having basically any interaction with medical science then you're a hypocrite and a moron, and need to be culled from the gene pool immediately.
>>
File: 6d2.png (567KB, 600x651px) Image search: [Google]
6d2.png
567KB, 600x651px
>>59653421
>no one who has ever benefited from technology in any way is ever allowed to think that certain advances in technology are not beneficial to society
>>
File: 1490415735233.jpg (41KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
1490415735233.jpg
41KB, 600x457px
I think we've long since passed the point of diminishing returns when it comes to the effect of computers on our lifes.
>>
>>59654295
I have a real problem with how much faith people are putting in it. People have an almost messianic view of computers and believes that they and what's on them will last forever, so much so that people are entrusting their entire lives to them when they would have before kept all photos in an old dusty album and all letters in a drawer.

I'm very pessimistic about computers as they now exist, as well as the internet and how it exists. Not so much because of government spying and suchlike (that's more of a philosophical concern than anything else), but how fragile it all is.

I keep thinking more and more about Neil Postman's three questions to ask about technology:
1. What is the problem to which this technology is a solution?
2. Whose problem is it actually?
3. If there is a genuine problem that this technology solves, would the use of this technology create more problems?

It's easy to have the opinion that the internet has been some huge liberator, and there are arguments to be made about that, but I just feel that the dream of the internet as an "information superhighway" no longer applies to the users themselves gaining information, but rather companies that control the web collecting the information of the users.
>>
>>59654235

Look up the real definition of Luddite. There's a big difference between a Luddite and a hipster.
>>
File: 1475561143527.png (562KB, 1080x1075px) Image search: [Google]
1475561143527.png
562KB, 1080x1075px
>>59653371
>>
File: 1479822275713.gif (753KB, 200x86px) Image search: [Google]
1479822275713.gif
753KB, 200x86px
>>59653168
>continental philosophy
god damn they are fucking retarded.
>>
>>59654600
>It's easy to have the opinion that the internet has been some huge liberator, and there are arguments to be made about that, but I just feel that the dream of the internet as an "information superhighway" no longer applies to the users themselves gaining information, but rather companies that control the web collecting the information of the users.

This is true in the sense that you need capital and knowledge to truly utilize the web to it's maximum information gathering potential.

However the average user's access to information isn't really diminished (especially compared to pre internet days). The average pleb mostly sticks to his facebook feed and bubble but no one's stopping him from reaching outside of that.

It's just that most people are lazy and don't care.
>>
File: 1484119712681.jpg (155KB, 956x856px) Image search: [Google]
1484119712681.jpg
155KB, 956x856px
rousseau was extremely contradictory, self-serving, and actually brought significant destruction and a long dark period for europe to dig itself out of, read him to understand why it happened but he was and is objectively wrong
>>
>>59654787
I know, I was just highlighting the change in what The Point of the internet is.

I also remember when things were much more based on printing out text (on very cheap to run line printers) rather than consuming animated content (like video) rather than static content (like a written document), and I think moving away from this is a poor mistake. I've noticed that in general things have gotten much shorter and quicker to consume. I've read articles by the same people in their archive that are easily twice as long as what they write now on subjects on equel complexity.

I know you can just copy and paste into a text editor and save it onto an e-reader, but it's the change of intent on the part of the content creators that I was trying to highlight.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.