[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Galaxy s8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 12

File: s8.jpg (43KB, 782x444px) Image search: [Google]
s8.jpg
43KB, 782x444px
This is what Innovation looks like. Not "slightly modified from last year", not taking away headphone jacks, not merely making the phone a few centimeters larger, not minutely tweaking the Operating System to change how many apps you can fit into a folder, and not iPhone 2013S but with a cool new trailer. This is Innovation, switching up the fundamental way that you use your phone by dramatically altering screen size, honing the cameras to perfection, changing the home button to be as convenient as possible, several new ways to unlock and navigate your phone, a voice command system that actually adapts to best benefit the user, new tech to accompany your phone like VR, DeX, 360 cameras, fingerprint scanners, and enough to actually take your breath away and make you say "this actually looks like the future." I feel like I'm in 2040 where anything is possible now, and that's just something that Apple hasn't been able to do in forever. They deserve their comeuppance for stalling the industry and making everyone believe that there's nothing they can change about their phones, but in reality Samsung and everyone at the Open Handset Alliance have been pushing the boundaries and innovating constantly while Apple's just been sitting greedily and lazily with their iPhone 5 - err - 8. It's time the people are shown the next step in smartphone technology.
>>
File: 2324241.gif (495KB, 194x172px) Image search: [Google]
2324241.gif
495KB, 194x172px
>>
>>59649384
How much are you being paid?
>>
>>59649384
>fingerprint reader next to camera
>>
>>59649437
The fingerprint scanner is just an extra, since Iris unlocking is safer and faster.
>>
>>59649384

It looks stupid. the curve edges is stupid. the display with the round edges is stupid. i don't mind some bezel. this shit seems like too much display. the finger print sensor is positioned in a stupid place.
>>
>this is what innovation looks like
>a screen with no side bezels

wew lad
>>
>tfw can't tell if satire or not
>>
File: patrickhook.jpg (28KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
patrickhook.jpg
28KB, 600x600px
>>59649620
>>59649576
>>59649421
apple shills are in a tour de force today after the whooping that was samsung's event
>>
>>59649654

I'm more of a NOKIA guy actually.
>>
>>59649384
Ill take the bait.
What would you say might have some merit, IF Samsung could actually deliver all on those points. Fact is, they do not. Many of those features are poorly implemented and barely work. Or they have no support outside of Samsung's software etc.
Samsung and Apple have completely different ideas about how to bring their products to market. They are only barely related anymore, other than that they both run apps and make phone calls. What either company is trying to make is diverging.

Also, several are your points are exactly what Samsung is doing
>not merely making hte phone a few centimeters larger
Yea they pretty much did exactly that, granted with only the display

>not slightly modified from last year
Yea, they pretty much did exactly that. In fact, they kept the same size, and slightly modified the edges, and display size, button location etc
They also slightly modified the OS. Its not fundamentally different from the version on the GS7, just more features, polish etc.

You have some points, Apple has been a bit lazy the last couple of cycles, but the disparity is no where near as severe as you are making it out to be.
>>
>>59649384
>Giving the botnet my retina
>need to have huge hand to reach the fingerprint scanner
>same fucking camera as last year
ok shill whatever you say. also
>palm rejection on no bezels is fucking horrible
>>
File: image.jpg (247KB, 801x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
247KB, 801x640px
>>59649620
Who the fuck wants bezels?
Nobody wants bezels.
All you guys ever do is complain about how fucking ugly bezels are.

I don't even like Samsung you can all suck my fucking dick.
>>
>>59649384
is that like a 100:9 screen?

If it wasn't so slender, it'd be okay.
As it is though, it's fucking awful.

16:9 is the limit. 16:10 is usually ideal for phones.
>>
>>59649384
>innovation
>the screen is bigger

this is what fagdroids believe
>>
>>59649744
> same fucking camera
the selfie camera is now 8MB, a revolution to the selfie quality.
>>
>This is what Innovation looks like.
there's a reason samsung is always mentioned next to iphone

they were the first one to really challenge the monopoly with similar quality products
>>
>>59649769
I would generally agree with you but I am thinking that these narrower aspect ratios actually make more sense for phone, because they are not tablets.

For the Note range 16:10 is the best for sure. But I think the physical size is too much for the standard handsets now, not the ratio, because so much content is scroll down on a phone and making it wider often doesn't increase the amount of content on the screen due to app scaling or layouts.

I say, keep the ratio, reduce the device size a bit, change the dpi to maintain the same scaling and we would really be on a winner.
>>
>>59650007
Narrow is easier to hold as long as not so thin, but it still makes it difficult to display meaningful content on.

16:9 video, which is the norm, becomes tiny on it. While with 16:10, you display it fine AND with room for controls.

How do you view a web page? Vertically, everything is so fucking narrow.
Horizontal? You get 5 lines of text per scroll.

>>59649982
Well sure. I'll admit they innovated a ton, and added new features to android that were nice, while everyone else was making Chinese knockoffs with basic old android in it.

But I don't like this phone.
>>
>>59650038
lmao fag
>>
>>59649384

I wanted the note 7 desu but I'm gonna have to deal with this. Nice that the special edition of the s8 comes with a tonne of shit for cheap, but, still, I wish they hadn't fucked up the note so much because I love the stylus. I'll have an s8 for my personal life and my note edge for business.

For what it is worth though, there really isn't anything innovative about the s8. It is an iteration like any of the other s phones. None of its features are actually 'new to market'. It's just the most up to date package of all the new-ish features on the market at this moment.
>>
There is no reason to buy it over the Galaxy S6 Edge.

If this is what innovation is to you I hate to see what stagnation looks like.
>>
>>59650038
>How do you view a web page? Vertically, everything is so fucking narrow.
Scaling is the issue here. The dpi setting is important.

And 16:9 video doesn't become tiny, you just get black bars on the sides instead of top/bottom as you would with 16:10, which means you can put controls on the sides instead.
>>
>>59650333
>I hate to see what stagnation looks like.
Take a look at the iPhone.
>>
from a current samsung user

>why is it so long
>why is the sensor on the upper back of the fucking phone when the phone is that long
>why is it curved by default
>why no dual fucking front facing speakers WHEN THERE ISN'T PHYSICAL BUTTONS ON THE FUCKING FRONT OF THE PHONE
>dedicated Bixby button on the phone when nobody is going to use it
>Samsung UI still in full force ugly
>No dual rear camera innovation
>Unibody non removable battery

Please fucking try, Samsung. This is awful.
>>
File: tumblr_o47xjaJsIJ1u7vbh3o1_1280.jpg (165KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o47xjaJsIJ1u7vbh3o1_1280.jpg
165KB, 1280x960px
>>59650180
show me your dick
>>
>>59650333

Well, I mean, there is. The camera for one. The s6 had a pretty shitty camera for lowlight.
>>
>>59649384
Looks like shit. The best part about LCD over CRT is the perfect corners, and Samsung fucked that up for another shitty gimmick.
>>
>>59650808
*AMOLED, but same concept
>>
>>59649384
Why is the faceplate black if the backplate is blue?
It just looks like permanent letterbox that you can't do anything about.
>>
>>59650444
Trips of truth. Samsung is shit.
>>
>>59650444
>from a current samsung user
>>why is it so long
>>why is the sensor on the upper back of the fucking phone when the phone is that long
>>why is it curved by default
>>why no dual fucking front facing speakers WHEN THERE ISN'T PHYSICAL BUTTONS ON THE FUCKING FRONT OF THE PHONE
>>dedicated Bixby button on the phone when nobody is going to use it
>>Samsung UI still in full force ugly
>>No dual rear camera innovation
>>Unibody non removable battery
>Please fucking try, Samsung. This is awful.

I agree with everything but the camera bit, dual cameras is gimicky shite
>>
>>59650444
>why is the sensor on the upper back of the fucking phone when the phone is that long
Because it is in range of where your forefinger will sit on the back of the phone while holding it but not where you will accidentally touch it, unless you hold it in your left hand.
>why no dual fucking front facing speakers WHEN THERE ISN'T PHYSICAL BUTTONS ON THE FUCKING FRONT OF THE PHONE
No space and I don't think Samsung has ever done the dual front speakers.
>dedicated Bixby button on the phone when nobody is going to use it
Because Google requires their shit to be default in Android so this is Samsung's way of making Bixby easy to access.
>Samsung UI still in full force ugly
Opinion.
>No dual rear camera innovation
Few people care.

I am with you on the battery. I like the curved. Long style is coming in. You can't please everyone.
>>
Still UAF tasteless design though. Wouldn't buy.
>>
samshits so insecure lmao
>b-but muh iphone
>>
jesus, a fuck ton of paid shills in here. Reminder that the Mi Mix had no bezels and was made far before the S8.

inb4 S9 has a ceramic back wooahhh
Maybe the $100 annual price hike will give poor Samsung enough money to do it
>>
>Pixel C oh FUCK bezels
>S8 we want bezels back!
>>
>>59649488

>giving a corporation your fingerprint

nuh-uh
no way

also battery might be tad too small
need to see projected usage then actual real-world usage
>>
>>59649761
>I hate usability: The Post
>>
>>59652793
Never got the whole bezel bullshit.

Who gives a single fuck? If you are not doing a multimonitor set up, bitching one way or another is stupid as fuck.
>>
>>59649437
I'm holding my Z3c right now with my index finger to the right side of the camera.

I usually hold phone that big that way, where is the finger print scanner on the s8 again?
>>
File: 1291271595479.png (3KB, 185x185px) Image search: [Google]
1291271595479.png
3KB, 185x185px
>wanted either the blue coral or the arctic silver colour
>neither of them is available in my country
>>
It's too tall and I don't want a screen that can be touched just by me holding it. Curved screens are honestly a terrible idea, look great in the promo photos but shit to actually use.
>>
>>59653230
Keep us posted, your personal preferences are very important for us.
>>
>>59653243
The fact that you either have to hold it really awkwardly or accidentally touch the screen all the time is not an opinion. It is objective fact and shit design.
>>
I have an s7 edge, great phone and very good looking. The curved edges and how they hinder input though are annoying at times, as other have said already. Going back I would get the regular s7.
>>
>>59653230
I used someone's edge recently, I had to conciously hold it so I didnt touch the sides. It felt really awkward to use. Back when I got my S6 I even got a slightly thicker case so I'd have something to hold because it's so thin already. And I still sometimes accidentally brush the screen with a finger tip.
>>
>>59649654
Anon, it's called the tour du France...
Just in case you didn't know :)
>>
>a bigger screeen

it's fucking nothing
>>
>>59649384
>gimmicky rounded screen corners
>gimmicky rounded edges

they out-apple'd apple
>>
>>59652793
you need bezels, especially on the sides. they don't have to be huge, though.
>>
>>59649384
>feel like I'm in 2040
I don't. I see zero flying cars outside my window.

>>59649437
I too immediately wonder how many of those phones will be taking garbage pictures because the camera lens is smeared after being touched a thousand times.

>>59649761
>Who the fuck wants bezels?
>Nobody wants bezels.
They are actually quite practical when you play games, you can rest your fingers there.

Honestly, I'd absolutely forgive bezels, even big ones, if they were stereo speakers and had a front-facing camera which is as good as the back camera.

My use is probably different from others but I do a lot of video calls and I use the front camera a lot more than the back camera, almost to the point where I would be fine with not even having a back camera. Sadly most phones have a great back camera and a garbage front camera.

>>59649810
>the selfie camera is now 8MB
A few cheap cameras out of China has 16MP on both cameras now. These few are doing something right. Some also have a front camera flash.

>>59650444
>this
all this
>>
>same camera from last year
>thought that the pixel had the most retarded fingerprint scanner position, samsung proved me otherwise
>only one anemic speaker which can be easily covered
>iris scanner for when you want to look like a retard in public for making faces at your phone
>screen grossly huge it's like you want to compensate for something
>2:1 screen with the anemic speaker, rounded corners and bent screen makes it objectively the worst flagship for media consumption
>dedicated assistant button
>headphone jack

Samsung made the top and bottom bezel a little bit thinner and yelled innovation a few times. What they didn't realised is that they sacrificed a lot of user experience in order to achieve this.
>>
>>59653412
>only one anemic speaker which can be easily covered
The earpiece at the top also works as a speaker.
>headphone jack
Oh you're just goofing. Nevermind.
>>
>>59649810
The OP3T has a 16MP camera with OIS.
>>
>>59653840
> What is a selfie camera?
>>
there is any chance of buying an unlocked version of S8 in the first week of launched?

If not, it is a good idea to buy it with a carrier and try to unlock with those procedures online?
>>
WHAT APPLE INNOVATES, SAMSHIT COPIES & STEALS BUT IT EXPLODES AND BURNS INTO HOUSEFIRES
>>
shit looks like more of a disaster than the galaxy Splosion, enjoy getting an easy to crack screen and clunky size.
>>
File: 1482805157098.jpg (266KB, 1002x1737px) Image search: [Google]
1482805157098.jpg
266KB, 1002x1737px
>>59649384
Here's 50 Rupees for your troubles, Pajeet.
>>
>>59649384
FUCKING DEX

THE ENTIRE THREAD BITCHES ABOUT BEZELS AND CAMERA MEGAPIXELS AND SHIT

FUCKING DEX PEOPLE
>>
>>59654106
the 16MP is on the rear and front you dumbfuck.
>>
>>59650268
Rumors say the new note is still launching late summer or early fall
>>
>>59649384
my adblocker must be off
>>
>>59649810
>>59653840
I have $120 phone with 16Mpx camera and it's shit
I had Canon G6 with 7Mpx camera and it made photos that these phones never could
so take your:
> only 12Mpx, %phone%'s 16Mpx is more
> only 8Mpx, that's too low for instagram selfies
..and shove it up your ass
>>
>>59649384
>innovation
>still using a proof of concept: edge displays
>>
>>59649384
>Slightly bigger screen compared to the bezel
>WOW IT'S INNOVATION

It's actually fucking nothing
>>
>>59652853
ever heard of palm detection? no? fuck off.
>>
The human eye cannot see more than Samsung and iPhone.
>>
>>59649384
>not merely making the phone a few centimeters larger

>switching up the fundamental way that you use your phone by dramatically altering screen size
>>
>>596496240
Obviously, because S voice i mean Bixby button
>>
Does anyone else think that 'Bixby' sounds just stupid? I mean Siri and Alexa is more of a name. And Google Now somewhat a description of what it does. But what the hell is Bixby? A name? Is it supposed to sound similar to Siri to draw in Apple users?
>>
back to bed, mr. Neistat
>>
>>59650444
Fucking this. Also, the edge display is a fucking meme, I hate this gimmick, it fucks with the keyboard and doesn't sits comfortably in my hand.
>>
I just realised the reason they are taking away removable battery is so you cant take it out when the thought police want to track you down
>>
>>59649384
>I feel like I'm in 2040 where anything is possible now
proof that you never walk outside
>shitty roads
>cars from the 80s
yeah 20 years in the future!
>>
>>59658868
I'm not saying that you're a retard but you're a fucking retard
>hurrdurr my camera with a huge sensor is better than my phone!!! SHOCKING
mate, I'm not paying full retail price for a phone with recycled sensors. I'm going to buy a G6 for the dual cameras and waterproofing
>>
is it worth grabbing an s7 for a decent price when the s8 comes out

upgrading from a near dead s6
>>
>>59663370
The s7 is goat if you don't want to root your phone.
>>
>>59649384
>i need innovation for my whatsapp memes sir....
what the fuck do you care so much about a fucking facebook device you massive mongoloid

go masturbate to smartphones somewhere else
>>
>>59649421
>paid
>/g/
>>
File: 1487625013972.jpg (48KB, 759x635px) Image search: [Google]
1487625013972.jpg
48KB, 759x635px
>>59649384
>even samsung are doing the software buttons now
FUCK. Unless there are no bottom bezels this will -N E V E R- be acceptable.

What decent manufacturer remains that doesn't do this shit? Decent as in no indieshit or chinkshit.
>>
I've actually held the galaxy s8 in my hands.

To all the people who say it feels uncomfortable to hold. Shut up, you haven't held it, I've held it and played with it, the phone feels so ergonomical and solid in your hands, the screen resolution blew me away too, it has Bluetooth 5.0. It had an audio jack, they claim the battery is more efficient, minimum capacity is 64 gigs so that's better than last year's 32 and the camera.....the camera...the people in this thread who at the camera is the same are shills, the camera is just so amazing, the selfie camera has autofocus, the selfie camera, not just the main one.

If get this phone if I didn't already have an LG v20
>>
>>59666321
who uses bluetooth
>>
>>59666376
I'd love a phone with Bluetooth 5, I use it all the time. Too bad there aren't going to be any good phones with it.
>>
>>59666387
>I use it all the tim
for
>>
They perfected the home button? LG has had it there since at least the g2, probably the original G also. It's fucking awesome on the back but Samsung did not think that up.
>>
>>59666410
Internet
>>
>>59666321
>To all the people who say it feels uncomfortable to hold. Shut up, you haven't held it, I've held it and played with it, the phone feels so ergonomical and solid in your hands,
ever noticed that different people have different hands?
> the screen resolution blew me away too
not in a good way.
lots of apps don't support it and you get black bars:
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2017/03/update-your-app-to-take-advantage-of.html
>>
>>59667357
>ever noticed that different people have different hands?

these people with """different""" hands have never held it
>>
>>59649384
aesthetically sure, it looks awesome.

but thats about it. It's mostly the same as the S7 edge.

Kill yourself pajeet.
>>
>>59649421
He is actually right though.
I still think the phone is trash. Add removable battery and we then talk.

> inb4 muh IP68
I have been using phones for a fucking long time and I never felt the need of submerging MY FUCKING PHONE.
> inb4 pool
Yeah, nothing is better than losing your phone in a water park for example.

BONUS POINT: The Galaxy S5 was waterproof AND had removable battery.

I would not even care if I could only replace it like once a year. That is plenty enough.
>>
I love the S8, but the Moto Z is my choice. Too many possibilities to pass up, and Moto is actually fostering the dev community.
>>
>>59652853
My LG G Pro 2 hardly had any bezel and it was never a problem. Fuck off.
>>
>>59666078
It's 2017, bruh. I think HTC may still do hardware home buttons, but face it: going to software keys gives more design freedom, and in most cases, is probably cheaper to manufacture. Hard buttons are going the way of the keyboard.
>>
>>59664495
>implying billions of people don't use their phones to edit work stuff, play hardcore games, run a virtual Linux server, and watch HD movies
Git gud at smartphones, social media scrub.
>>
>>59666078
I fucking hate hardware buttons.
They suck SO FUCKING MUCH.

On-screen ones just... poof, instant registration, instant action.
On my S3/Note 2? Press the button, 500ms delay AND THEN action.

FUCK YOU.
>>
>>59669687
>play hardcore games
what is that?
>>
>>59669670
I would pay 200$ more for a keyboard version of any current flagship phone, especially the G5/V20
>>
>>59669670
>>59669724
then rid of the fucking bottom bezel which serves no purpose
>>
>>59669933
I am pretty sure it is there for a reason.
>>
File: 1488427248646.jpg (23KB, 980x457px) Image search: [Google]
1488427248646.jpg
23KB, 980x457px
>>59669966
yeah, probably to save me some money until they do it properly
>>
>>59670678
dropping the front camera is failure
>>
>>59670857
that's why I've said BOTTOM BEZEL like 3 times in my posts
>>
>>59649384

So, this """"innovation'''''''' is just a slight redesign of an existing product with most significantly a different (if we ignore the edge models) way of terminating the screen.

such new.
much innovation.
wow.
>>
File: 1479022170972.png (7KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
1479022170972.png
7KB, 420x420px
>>59671013
>such new.
>much innovation.
>wow.
is this 2012? or am I on 9gag? reddit?
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 960x638px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 960x638px
>>59670942
>BOTTOM BEZEL
why bottom camera though?
>>
>>59671029
>actual screen starts 1/4 into the phone
can you not
>>
>>59671029
>>59671048
wait I changed my mind

if you software mod it to flip the screen upside down, this phone's top bezel would actually be acceptable for software buttons
>>
>bixby is useless
Looks like they have image recognition/computer vision, and that alone is a step forward for digital assistants.
Google Goggles hasn't updated in years, they had a photo input option in Google search app for a very brief period of time. Basically, they don't do anything in that field anymore. You can't even search by image from Google app, you have to use Chrome or desktop version of Images to do that.
Cortana and Siri don't have anything like that, and Alexa is a fucking boombox.
Thread posts: 110
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.