[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 41

File: K&R hime2.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
K&R hime2.png
1MB, 1280x720px
old thread: >>59645949

What are you working on, /g/?
>>
Thank you for using an anime picture.
>>
what kind of music or noise do you use for concentration?
>>
>>59649213
"The most powerful programming language is Lisp. If you don't know Lisp (or its variant, Scheme), you don't know what it means for a programming language to be powerful and elegant. Once you learn Lisp, you will see what is lacking in most other languages." -Richard Stallman
>>
>>59649225
Hardcore techno
>>
>>59649226
>Richard Stallman
Kept reading there.
>>
>>59649225
Any non-free jazz or drone.
>>
>>59649232
like what?
>>
>>59649213
I'm making my own chan with blackjack and hookers: 4kev.org
>>
>>59649225
Nigger rap
>>
Apart from computer algebra systems what real world software uses a Lisp dialect?
>>
>>59649264
emacs
>>
>>59649248
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDWMqwXU9dQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAkPbXwsii4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNG6ZBzVBvQ
>>
"The C programming language was a terrible mistake whose consequences continue to plague us 40-some years later."

Jon Carmak, 2016
>>
>>59649264
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Common_Lisp_software
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Lisp_software
>>
>>59649281
I meant for the source
>>
>>59649318
I read that it's why I excluded CAS.
>>
>>59649337
CAS isn't the only thing on there you liar.
>>
Can I get away with putting C++ on my resume and write only C with classes?

I'm trying to make myself more employable and everyone here asks for java and C++.
>>
>>59649302

Carmack would never say that. He still loves C.
>>
>>59649364
u gon git fuked with template questions
>>
>>59649373
It's a quote from Jon Carmak though.
>>
constexpr auto operator[](std::ptrdiff_t n) const
{
switch (dir)
{
case up: return matrix_iterator<right, M> { *this + n };
case down: return matrix_iterator<left, M> { *this + n };
case left: return matrix_iterator<up, M> { *this + n };
case right: return matrix_iterator<down, M> { *this + n };
}
}

what the fuck am I writing
does any of this even make sense?
>>
public class Exam{
private Float [] grade;

public void setGrade (...)
(...)
}

how do i set values for this type of array?
>>
>>59649373
He took the functional pill years ago.
but
>I do think "good C++" is better than "good C" from a readability standpoint, all other things being equal.
>>
>>59649407
>"good C++"
I've yet to see such a thing.
>>
>>59649380
templates seem simple enough, I'd be willing to learn that, I just don't want to take a C++ job if I'll be expected to write idiomatic C++ all the time
>>
>>59649418
the madman did it
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/169296/Indepth_Functional_programming_in_C.php
>>
>>59649302
FAKE NEWS
>>
How do I pass int pointers (arrays) to functions, manipulate the int pointer, and be able to use the modified array outside the function?

void getFractions(const int numTerms, int* numArray, int* denomArr)
{ //Runs Fine
std::vector<int> A(numTerms, 0), B(numTerms, 0);
A[0] = 1; A[1] = numArray[0]; //b
B[0] = 0; B[1] = 1;

for(int i = 2; i < numTerms; i++)
{
A[i] = numArray[i]*A[i-1] + denomArr[i]*A[i-2];
B[i] = numArray[i]*B[i-1] + denomArr[i]*B[i-2];
}
std::cout << A << std::endl << B;
}

int main(int argc, const char * argv[])
{
int *nA, *dA;
createPiContFracArrays(5, nA, dA);
// std::cout << nA[0]; //This line throws an error (Bad Access)
getFractions(5, nA, dA);

return 0;
}
>>
File: midna.jpg (417KB, 624x567px) Image search: [Google]
midna.jpg
417KB, 624x567px
What interpreters does /g/ like to use on ipads/iphones?

I want to try some programming on the device itself.
>>
>>59649447
>Indepth_Functional_programming_in_C
>Open link
>It's about C++
Fuck you.
>>
File: Asuka Watermelon.jpg (474KB, 1619x1725px) Image search: [Google]
Asuka Watermelon.jpg
474KB, 1619x1725px
Best books for Data Structures in Java? I'm in an introductory class and it's kicking my ass.

I need to learn more about:
Time Complexity

Lists
Stacks & Queues
Trees (Binary/Red-Black Trees)

And how to search through the aforementioned data structures.
>>
>>59649466
Don't learn it for Java. Learn it in general, then apply the theory to whatever language you want. Also, CLRS
>>
File: Milo.jpg (94KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Milo.jpg
94KB, 640x360px
>>59649474
>CLRS
I've seen this recommended a lot, I'll check it out thanks.

And I'd prefer Java books just because I need to get this shit down pat relatively soon, and I feel that it'll be easier using a book that's Java oriented.
>>
>>59649407

I know he's a functionalfag now, but C and C++ still have a special place in his heart.

I mean, he even described Java as a 'fully specified C.'
>>
>>59649503
Well, the pseudocode in it is pretty easy to read, so you shouldn't have much trouble translating it to Java.
>>
>>59649524
it's sunk cost fallacy. He knows what's right but he's shackled down by the chains and weights of C and C++
>>
>>59649364
You need to understand C++ OOP syntax and understand OOP well, but not specifically have a bunch of experience in C++. While it is an OOP of sorts, implementations vary and the syntax can be asinine.
>>
>>59649225
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyUMHEua7-A
>>
>>59649552
>C and C++ are bad

bokay
>>
>>59649364
modern C++ is a bitch, mate

lots to learn besides C with classes
>>
File: OOPs.png (315KB, 1680x740px) Image search: [Google]
OOPs.png
315KB, 1680x740px
no wonder they call it OOPs
>>
>>59649849
I think the issue with OOP is that it is object ORIENTED when it should just be object permitted. Most things in a program are not fit to be objects.
>>
>>59649888
It's also taught very poorly. Big mistake I see all over the place with OOP users, that most OOP critics fail to point out, is the tendency to make superfluous superclasses. This ends up wrecking their architecture because they think they need to use their superclass for polymorphism, rather than a generic or just making multiple methods, or else the class would be useless.

This is especially bad in game programming where a lot of people try to make a superclass for every single game entity and then work with these entities only through the superclass.
>>
>>59649225
somafm.com

space station groove salad or def con radio
black rock fm if you refuse patrician status

illinois street lounge if you're a lesbian with a dick
>>
>>59649573
but they are
>>
File: strong static functional GC.png (89KB, 568x269px) Image search: [Google]
strong static functional GC.png
89KB, 568x269px
http://web.cs.ucdavis.edu/~filkov/papers/lang_github.pdf

>Haskell.png
>>
>>59650004
>Haskell
Trash.
>>
>>59649992

bokay
>>
>>59650037
back to /o/ turd
>>
>>59650074

no!
>>
>>59650034
boy i sure can't wait for you to post that copypasta
>>
File: programming help.png (31KB, 817x931px) Image search: [Google]
programming help.png
31KB, 817x931px
I'm trying to get a job, the language is c# I'm missing something simple here, I'm just trying to read through a file line by line to search for something in particular then print it out. but I'm missing something here.
>>
>>59650085
replace "C:\\FINIS_IT.txt" with reader

source: i don't know C#
>>
>>59650081
*whips out dong*
suck it jungle boi
>>
>>59650004
>>59650083
- Just like C++, Haskell is very hard to learn, and takes years to master. Things like Monads, Functors, Monoids, Higher-Order Types and a myriad of morphisms are hard to understand, especially without mathematical background. So most programmers probably don't have the ability or will to learn haskell. By all means, Haskell is not ā€˜simpleā€™ or newbie friendly. Learning its syntax, its libraries, functional programming techniques won't bring you closer to understanding. The true path to understand Haskell lies through Monoid-Functor-Applicative-Arrow-Monad. And even if you mange to learn Haskell, programming it still hogs a lot of brain resources, which could have been put to something more useful, than just showing off about how clever you can be. "Zygohistomorphic prepromorphism: Zygo implements semi-mutual recursion like a zygomorphism. Para gives you access to your result Ć  la paramorphism." -- HaskellWiki
- Haskel is slow and leaks memory. GHC's slow stop-the-world GC does not scale. A good understanding of evaluation order is very important for writing practical programs. People using Haskell often have no idea how evaluation affect the efficiency. It is no coincidence that Haskell programmers end up floundering around with space leaks that they do not understand. "The next Haskell will be strict." -- Simon Peyton-Jones
>>
>>59650113
- Haskell's API lacks higher levels of abstraction, due to absence of variadic functions, optional arguments and keywords. Macros aren't possible either, due to overly complex syntax of Haskell. API documentation is very lacking for newbies: if you want to use regexes, you start at Text.Regex.Posix, seeing that =~ and =~~ are the high level API, and the hyperlinks for those functions go to Text.Regex.Posix.Wrap, where the main functions are not actually documented at all, so you look at the type signatures, trying to understand them and they are rather intimidating (class RegexOptions regex compOpt execOpt => RegexMaker regex compOpt execOpt source | regex -> compOpt execOpt, compOpt -> regex execOpt, execOpt -> regex compOpt where). They are using multi-parameter type classes and functional dependencies. The signature really wont give you any clue to how to actually use this API, which is a science in itself. Haskell is a language where memoization is a PhD-level topic.
- Haskell programming relies on mathematical modelling with type system (a version of mathematical Set Theory). If one does not use the type system for anything useful, it obviously will be nothing but a burden. Programs are limited by the expressiveness of the type system of the language - e.g. heterogeneous data structures aren't possible w/o reinventing explicit tagging. All that makes Haskell bad for prototyping and any new situation, due to need of having design document with all types beforehand, which changes often during prototyping. Any complex project have to reinvent dynamic typing. For instance, Grempa uses dynamic typing because the semantic action functions are put in an array indexing rule and production numbers (Ints) to functions, and they all have different types and so can not be put in an ordinary array expecting the same type for each element.
>>
Daily reminder that probability distributions form a monad
>>
>>59650113
>>59650123
- The IDE options cannot be as good as those of dynamic programming languages, due to absence of run-time information and access to running program's state. Haskell's necrophilia forces you to work with "dead" code. Like other static languages, Haskell isn't well-known for its ā€œreload on the flyā€ productivity. No eval or self-modifying code. Haskell code can't be changed without recompiling half-of application and restarting the process. GHCI - is the best Haskell's interactivity can get, and still wont allow you to change types during runtime. As said Simon Peyton-Jones, "In the end, any program must manipulate state. A program that has no side effects whatsoever is a kind of black box. All you can tell is that the box gets hotter."
- Type system and compile-time and link-time errors are distracting and make it harder to run and test your code. And type-checking isn't a substitute for testing. Type-checking is about correspondence to mathematical model, which has nothing to do with correctness - i.e. two numbers can be integers, but their quotient can still result into division by zero. Even though you may hear strong static-typing advocates say, ā€œWhen your program type-checks, youā€™ll often find that it just worksā€, this is simply not true for large, intricate programs. Although type-checking may help you find model-related errors, it is not the same as testing. Thus, it is not a suitable substitute for testing.
>>
File: 1484099528997.gif (3MB, 355x201px) Image search: [Google]
1484099528997.gif
3MB, 355x201px
>>59650123
>variadic functions, optional arguments and keywords
>>
>>59650113
>>59650123
>>59650142
- Absence of dynamic scope, implicit open recursion, late binding, and duck typing severely limits Haskell, since there are things that can't be done easily without these features: you can't implement dynamic scope in general (and be type-safe) without converting your entire program to use tagged values. So in this respect, Haskell is inferior to dynamic typing languages.
- Haskell makes it easy to write cryptic programs that no-one understands, not even yourself a few days later. Rich, baroque syntax, lazy evaluation and a tradition defining an operator for every function - all help obfuscation a lot. As a general rule, Haskell syntax is incredibly impenetrable: who in their right mind thought up the operators named .&., <|> and >>=? And, just like with Python, indentation based syntax makes Haskell unusable for CLI.
>>
File: 1400380655998.png (127KB, 257x250px) Image search: [Google]
1400380655998.png
127KB, 257x250px
>>59650142
>Type-checking is about correspondence to mathematical model, which has nothing to do with correctness
>>
File: r-badge.png (75KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
r-badge.png
75KB, 220x220px
R is a functional language
>>
>>59650097
It didn't work unfortunately.
I'm trying all kinds of stuff. i was hoping another set of eyes could see where I'm messing up.

First line sets up the stream reader for the file

2nd line reads through the filw line by line and adds it to the list
the third line reads through that list for a certain word to ass to a new list

4th line prints out the list of sorted words.
>>
Anyone from here frequents >>>/vg/agdg/ ?
>>
>>59650193
Nope.
>>
>>59650193
No. Your kind is not welcome here.
>>
>>59649460
You are actually passing numArray and demonArray pointers by value, and thus go out of scope and are deconstructed. Since this is C++, pass in the pointers by reference, int* &numArray ect (also, why not use vector<int> instead of int arrays?)
>>
File: 1463285950309.jpg (36KB, 600x564px) Image search: [Google]
1463285950309.jpg
36KB, 600x564px
>>59650193
you're in the wrong part of town, buddy.

keep moving
>>
>>59650193
I went there looking for an artist, but after telling him which engine I used, he said he wasn't interested
>>
>>59650257
You have to go back.
>>
>>59650257
I was wondering if it was as infested with meme spouters as /dpt/. I mean just look at the replies I got and factor in barely anyone shows anything non trivial in here.
>>
https://youtu.be/NbAjiLz26zM
This
>>
>>59650279
If you're bothered by such things you will likely not find satisfaction anywhere. Take the good, ignore the bad. /agdg/ has some great discussion, some interesting games, some people work on their own engines, even some work on their own languages. But also a lot of memery and shitposting. But for the specific programming topics that come up in gamedev, it's a fine resource, just don't expect too much.
>>
>>59650319
I see, thanks for the feedback.
>>
>>59650004
I think that functional languages are used by people who give a fuck. OOP is used by pajeets
>>
File: ex_mahcina_sieve.png (600KB, 1282x568px) Image search: [Google]
ex_mahcina_sieve.png
600KB, 1282x568px
What is the licensing of code in media like films? Pic related, from Ex Machina. It's a really slow sieve, apparently written in Python, but reusable instead of a generator.
>>
>>59649213
Trying to learn python here but I have no idea why this code isn't working. The text file contains days. Trying to take the first line in the text file and put it in ReadLines label.
from Tkinter import *

def Last():
Read = open('filename.txt', 'r')
firstLine = Read.readline()
ReadLines.config(text=firstLine)
Read.close()

def main():
root = Tk()
root.title("Sayings")
root.geometry('500x230')
w1 = Label(root, text="Line")
w1.pack()
ReadLines = Label(root, text='', width=50)
ReadLines.pack()
LastButton = Button(root,text="Last", width=9, command=lambda:Last(firstLine))
LastButton.pack(side=LEFT, padx=5, pady=5, anchor=SE)
root.mainloop()

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()
>>
>>59650085
using System;
using System.IO;
using System.Linq;

namespace FileSorter {
public class Class1 {
public static void Main(string[] args) {
try {
using (var file = new StreamReader(@"c:\finis_it.txt")) {
foreach(var line in file.ReadToEnd().Split('\n').Select(line => line.Trim()).Where(line => line.Equals("start"))) {
Console.WriteLine(line);
}
}
} catch(Exception e) {
Console.WriteLine(e);
}
}
}
}

I'm going to hell for this.
>>
Can I pause a Javascript function until a condition is changed, rather than pause the function for a specified time?

The problem is that there's an animation I run with recursive requestAnimationFrame, but the function that began the animation doesn't wait for the animation to finish to continue, resulting in things finishing in the wrong order.
>>
>>59649364
no, write a few small applications in idiomatic C++ and do all the C++ challenges on hackerrank. You'll be less fucked during interviews.
>>
>>59650519
ReadLines in main isn't in the scope of Last. Also make regular variables lowercase.
>>
>>59650526
>using System;
>using System.IO;
>using System.Linq;
>namespace FileSorter {
> public class Class1 {
> public static void Main(string[] args) {
> try {
> using (
>
> } catch(Exception e) {
> Console.WriteLine(e);
> }
> }
> }

awful boilerplate
>>
>>59650566
Yeah, I'm fucking retarded. Is there a way I can make the last button switch to the next line every time clicked?
>>
>>59650606
don't hate on brackets, blocks are important to denote
>>
You just saved my life wtf how.

I'm really sorry to ask but
could I possibly get a 30 second explination of this?

Why does the try and catch make such a huge difference? The rest of the changes I think i understand.

I was trying to use a lambda equation to shorten it to 3 lines. But I guess thats a nono?
>>
File: 1490058588433.jpg (54KB, 1024x575px) Image search: [Google]
1490058588433.jpg
54KB, 1024x575px
>>59650085
>Open image
>Oh guess someone is asking for help with their babby's first assignments again, cannot even read the errors
>"I'm trying to get a job"
>There's even another bigger retard here solving that shit for him
THE STATE OF THE INDUSTRY
>>
File: programming help 2.png (32KB, 868x923px) Image search: [Google]
programming help 2.png
32KB, 868x923px
>>59650659
was meant for
>>59650526

but now I'm getting this error.
Currently googling the error.
>>
>>59650719
Well, help me out.

C# isn't my language.
I picked it up literally yesterday.
I do python and c++ and java ruby and sql

This job wants c# so I'm going to give them C#
>>
File: 1452471092796.png (372KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1452471092796.png
372KB, 1280x720px
>>59650730
>>59650526
>6 levels of indentation just to print some shit
>>
>>59650755
welcome to oop son
>>
>>59650755
Well teach me.
Its not like C++ or python like I'm used to.

I wan't to learn this stuff, and I'd like to learn it right. But youtube/Google can only take me so far.
>>
>>59650755
this was an excellent anime btw
>>
>>59650755
It's called OOPs for a reason
>>
>>59650752
>i do many programmings yes sir
>cannot even tell what's wrong when the fucking IDE is telling you exactly what's wrong
>literally cannot read
Fuck off deadweight pajeet, if you get stuck with trivial shit i don't want you anywhere near anyone's production codebase
>>
>>59650860
Yes the IDE tells me whats wrong, but the IDE doesn't give a specific solution. it just gives me an error and a description.

but "the name 'file' does not exist in the current context." isn't exactly a solution now is it?

Thank you to everyone that actually provides the help. It means a lot.
>>
>>59650888
>The name 'file' does not exist
yeah, thats a solution pajeet.
>>
File: 1405383715460.jpg (66KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
1405383715460.jpg
66KB, 380x380px
>>59650888
>Argument 1: Cannot convert from 'String' to 'System.IO.Stream'
>the name 'file' does not exist in the current context
I don't even, how the fuck do you jump from that conclusion from that first line?
>>
File: ph3.png (33KB, 786x853px) Image search: [Google]
ph3.png
33KB, 786x853px
>>59650955
I've been trying to fix the problem.
Came to this.
>>
>>59650929
I had a stray semi colon.
Where in the IDE did it tell me I forgot to delete a semicolon?

'File' does not exist doesn't sound like "unexpected semicolon"
>>
>>59651022

Because that was not the error. The format
using (/* variable declaration */);

is completely legal. Of course, it creates a variable and does nothing about it, but it's still legal. When the compiler then came down to your block, the file variable had already left scope, and so the compiler complained of a lack of a variable in that context.
>>
File: 1438895787267.gif (2MB, 331x237px) Image search: [Google]
1438895787267.gif
2MB, 331x237px
>>59650994
>>59651022
>That "Solution"
>/g/ wonders why no one wants to hire them
Hopefully someone who knows basic syntax will take the job
>>
File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
foreach (string s in File.ReadAllLines("fn.txt"))
{
Console.WriteLine(s);
}
>>
>>59651058
Whats with you and your shitty people skills?
I didn't notice the semi colon.

>>59651045
It was legit just the semicolon. after I deleted the extra one it compiled perfectly fine.
>>
>>59651096
Tell me more about this interview, is there a meeting with technical staff somewhere in the process?
>>
>>59651092
The assignment is to read through a file
Parse and sort the data.

I learned C# 2 days ago and I'm just trying to practice and get the syntax down before the test tomorrow.

If I pass the test, I get the job.
I'm not the best programmer but I'm trying to start somewhere.
>>
File: 1434491359876.jpg (103KB, 678x960px) Image search: [Google]
1434491359876.jpg
103KB, 678x960px
>>59651135
If you're ever in trouble just keep slapping and removing semicolons until it gets fixed, already worked once for ya
>mfw all in all you'll probably get the job
>>
>>59651135
>If I pass the test, I get the job.

You don't deserve it.
>>
>>59651125
10am tomorrow I get the assignment described here
>>59651135

If I complete it and they like it they call me in to review the code. After that they make a job offer.

Programming concepts I do pretty well with, but This is a language I've only been working with for 2 days. And Honestly I'm just really trying to do something with my life here and stop being a family disappointment.

>>59651160
Thanks i guess.
>>
>>59651179
>Programming concepts I do pretty well with
Lying to yourself like that only hurts you in the long run
>>
File: fug.jpg (16KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
16KB, 600x450px
>>59651092
args[1].slurp!string("%s").each!writeln;
>>
>>59651216
I'm not lying to myself.
Like I said, I'm not the best programmer. but I understand concepts. and I'm learning a language in 2 days. My syntax isn't going to be perfect. My syntax isn't even perfect for languages I use often.
>>
File: b7d.png (66KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
b7d.png
66KB, 1000x1000px
>>59651220
>slurp!

this dicc

>>59651179
>Thanks i guess.

I'm sorry, but it's the truth. What will you do when you are on the job and you don't know anything about C#? They will fire you.
>>
>>59650227
>why not use vector<int> instead of int arrays?
I'm going to take a computer architecture class in the autumn that uses C and I want to get more practice with pointers/memory addresses

> int* &numArray
Oh wow that's ugly... But hey, whatever works, right?
>>
>>59651256
Well I'm learning and its an entry level job with other entry level programmers. Not to mention I came here specifically because I got errors. not because I didn't know where to start.
>>
Trying to make a working RPN calculator. My previous implementatino couldn't do something as easy as " (5+ 1) * (8 - 2)" because I assumed all my calculations could be writen in the form
n1 n2 n3 n4 op1 op2 op3

But now I know I need to do:
n1 n2 op 1 n3 n4 op2 op3

In my implementation, however, I'm running into a problem. I have a stack of ints and characters, but when I try to add it to a string, the characters become their ascii equivalent:

string RPNRepl = "";
cout << operators.top() << endl;
while(!numberPermutation.empty())
{
int n1 = numberPermutation.top(); numberPermutation.pop();
int n2 = numberPermutation.top(); numberPermutation.pop();
char op = operators.top(); operators.pop();
cout << "OP: " <<op << endl;
RPNRepl += to_string(char(n1)) + " ";
RPNRepl += to_string(char(n2))+ " ";
RPNRepl += to_string(char(op));
RPNRepl += "\n";
}
RPNRepl += operators.top();
cout << RPNRepl;

I'm thinking of using streams, but I feel like there has to be a better way of doing this
>>
>>59651256
also what the hell do I do? Just sit here and not even try?
Go back to school spend more money just to get a masters?
Or continue working this dead end minimum wage job while I take months to become an expert at every language and development technology?

I see you pointing out all the flaws but offering no solutions.

If I had a choice I'd just work a job with python/c++ but they're far away.
>>
>>59651304
probably because you store them as ints
>>
>>59651328
I'm storing the numbers (from the numberPermutation Stack) as ints, but op (from the stack operators) as a char, or is there something weird going on?
>>
>>59651313
>I see you pointing out all the flaws but offering no solutions.

I literally gave you a shorter solution.
>>
>>59651338
A solution to the code or the job situation?

Because Like I explained earlier. I don't just output the file they give me line by line.

I have to parse and sort it.
Even the code I was working on in this thread was me searching for a particular word in the file to print out. not just print out the file itself.
>>
>>59651354
>I have to parse and sort it.

Okay, that's also easy, but File.ReadAllLines is a much better way to get all the lines in the file.
>>
>>59649213
Why the fuck does it seem like C is actually far easier to develop and maintain than C++ for everything except GUIs and maybe async shit?
Seriously, all the interesting stuff involves C libraries like libcurl and opengl and you just end up writing a fucking God awful C++ wrapper which itself will fucking break and clutter your codebase. And if you use an open source wrapper lib then you have another dependency, and if it's a header library then you have to update those headers and hope to God the indian shits who developed it will continue to develop it.
Everyone keeps saying OOP is useful but for me it only ever got in the way. Not bashing on the language, I'm just not seeing what's so good about it.
>>
>Asking help from the elitist pricks of /dpt/
>Not searching for a simple solution on stackoverflow
>>
>>59651390

bepis
>>
>>59650279
Programming is trivial.
>>
>>59651381
You seem to have reached enlightenment.

>>59651390
You are not entitled to an answer.
People will post snarky shit in reply to any of your posts for any reason, and there is nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>59651402
I am not the one asking questions because I know better than to trigger you stupid shits. Offhandedly mention you work in some meme lang and people still jump on your statement for nothing. /dpt/ is the last place I would ever turn to for help even though I have helped a few anons here myself.
>>
>>59651304
You want to_string(n1) I am pretty sure. You are converting integers into characters (ascii conversion), then converting the converted integer into a string.
>>
File: 1439233612423.jpg (25KB, 598x384px) Image search: [Google]
1439233612423.jpg
25KB, 598x384px
>>59651313
>Also what the hell do I do? Just sit here and not even try?
You should stop being an infantile fuck first and foremost
Then you should spend time learning these technologies and then apply instead of trying to leg it ala le epin hackerman crashcourse
>But that takes effort i'm entiltled to stuff boohoo
Yeah no shit jimbo, things will not magically solve out for you if the only thing you exclusively do is keep whinning or an Catonese pictographic exchange forum without putting a modicum of effort

I do hope you get the job so the following happens
>Congratulations on the job kiddo
>Ok i need you to write a function that prints daily logs on the following format
>Struggle 3 days to understand a stupid syntax error
>Suddenly your boss and coworkers realize you're incompetent after you keep pestering them with menial syntax questions
>You stop showing out at work the next week out of shame like the autist you are
>End up dissapointing everyone else yet again but you somehow have no idea what happened
Grow up faggot
>>
File: 1479883677181.jpg (143KB, 833x696px) Image search: [Google]
1479883677181.jpg
143KB, 833x696px
>>59651425
>>
What's a good Java library to use for creating a window then drawing on it pixel-by-pixel?
The one the university I went to used was shit, it had a limited canvas size and could probably only draw a million pixels a second if even that.

Also, would it be hard to do it without a library?
>>
>>59651417
Removing "to_string(op)" worked
int evaluateRPNString(stack<int> numberPermutation, stack<char> operators)
{
string RPNRepl = "";
cout << operators.top() << endl;
while(!numberPermutation.empty())
{
int n1 = numberPermutation.top(); numberPermutation.pop();
int n2 = numberPermutation.top(); numberPermutation.pop();
char op = operators.top(); operators.pop();
cout << "OP: " <<op << endl;
RPNRepl += to_string((n1)) + " ";
RPNRepl += to_string((n2))+ " ";
RPNRepl += op;
RPNRepl += "\n";
}
RPNRepl += operators.top();
cout << RPNRepl << "\n";
return 0;
}
>>
>>59651486
Forgot image

>captcha was "STRONG ANTARCTICA"
>>
>>59651425
Why the fuck are you so mad? What girl turned you down today that has your panties in a bunch? Or is it because you're behind a computer that makes you think you're better than litterally anyone?
Or (most likely) can you not read? This is the opportunity I was given. It's a fucking entry level position that was suggested to me. I had no intentions on applying there because I never touched csharp. But if they're desperate for programmers then why not try. Maybe stop being some condescending piece of shit and you'll actually make friends that will give you some form of people skills. I came here and in my first post said I was making some stupid mistake and overlooking something. I found it and fixed it. I tried to be nice to everyone. Buy you can't get your tampon unstuck to save your life can you? Where do YOU work? What do you do for a living my friend? Please tell me where those amazing people skills have gotten you in life. I'd love to know.
>>
>>59651276
>entry level job with other entry level programmers
That doesn't mean "clueless level" though. That being said if you are slightly used to programming it shouldn't be a problem learning from microsoft's website.
>>
>>59651304
>>59651486
>string += string
>string += string
>string += string
>string += string
That's stupidly inefficient.
Doesn't C++ have something along the lines of
sprintf(str, "%d %d %c\n", n1, n2, op);
for their std::meme::string type?
>>
>>59651496
I didn't come here asking anyone to do the work for me. I made an error and couldn't fix it at first so I admitted I was stupid and asked for help.
>>
>>59651501
Do they?
I just separated it to make it easier to follow, but I can condense it to:
RPNRepl += to_string((n1)) + " " + to_string(n2) + op;
>>
>>59651496
Also the only reason I came across the error is because I was trying to use a lambda expression. I wanted to use the where function.
>>
>>59651513
That doesn't fix it, unless the C++ compiler is optimising that shit into a single call, which it _might_, but I don't really know.
>>
>>59651486
I am about 60% sure you can have more than 1 final operator on your operator stack, so you might want to check that condition instead of assuming there is only 1 left.
>>
>>59651523
Well, your call. All I meant is what people expect from "entry level" hires is no experience, not no knowledge. This is a mistake someone who knows the language would know how to fix, and as you said you barely picked it two days ago so I don't think you'll be ready. Good luck.
>>
>>59651543
I picked up enough of Python in 2 days to smoke an interview for an old job. It is do-able. You need to just pay attention.
>>
>>59651493
Mid level programming on some random company, making quite a comfy living, happy to help any teammate as long as they didn't lied to get the position, like you are doing right now

I've seen your situation many times in multiple companies always out of infantile passive aggressive faggots who lied on the interview, i'm telling you all of this for you to really TRY for once, picking up C# 2 days ago doesn't even count as an attempt, if you see C# its on demand these days pick it up, learn it and apply properly next time instead of wasting everyone's time, even yours
>>
I just made a strawpoll bot.
I'm not really sure how to deal with the captcha, though.
Where do I start?
I've been feeding it hashes I get when I turn javascript off but that's a pretty stupid way to do it.
>>
How the fuck do you make a constructor (Listof Any to structure) in typed Racket?
>>
>>59651633
>Where do I start?
I doubt this is a problem that you're easily going to find the answer to. It's designed to be hard.
You better get working on your image recognition AI or whatever.
>>
>>59651633
Maybe you could not be a fucking degenerate and actually apply your programming skills to something interesting
>>
>>59651633
There are plenty of ways to deal with captcha available on google. Most of them are outdated because google clams down hard on people who want to bypass it. So either come up with your own method or do it the stupid way.
>>
>>59651681
I'm not trying to bot them, just automate the entry process.
I'm not sure how to get the hash or whatever else I need.
I'll solve them.
I heard the guy who was spamming recently could pick random answers and get a decent percentage correct.
>>59651692
Such as?
>>
>>59651703
There's enormous need for AI in a lot of modern technologies, but approaches to AI aren't very diverse.
Figure out a cool new AI framework, or a new training system for an AI!
Both are very important, I think the latter is underestimated.
>>
>>59651633
Originally the whole point of captcha was stopping bots, you'll have to outsmart them now

Your best bet would be image recognition libraries
>>
>>59651727
The latter requires a lot of theory. Something you need at least a master or PhD in
>>
Does anyone here actually work with development for a company?
How do you work?
Is it open office space or you get your own space to work?
>>
Im creating the undo/redo features for a text editor.
I dont know what to call the vars, what a general term that implies either.
Like "undoLength" can mean the length of data im adding in this 1 "go", or removing in 1 "go".
>>
>>59651776
Ive been to google in NYC and they have both.
Seem like you get a small room with opaque walls you can share with 1 or 2 other people.
and there are lots of tables out in the open and lots of meeting rooms.
>>
>>59649225
2hu doujin circles
>>
>>59651911
I have noticed I can't work properly with lots of people at my neck. Feels weird.
>>
>>59651929
Sounds like your either unjustly insecure, or justly insecure.
Get better at programming and you may enjoy the attention.
>>
>>59651929
Program with your dick out.
That is what I do. No one hangs around me at work.
>>
>>59651943
Well I have no problem with people calling out on my coding as shit and such. But I just sadly can't function without having my own "thought" room.
Like my thoughts become hazy when there is a lot of people around me. I don't mind working in smaller groups, like 2-3 in same area, like I have done in uni.
>>59651951
haha.
>>
>>59651963
You cant focus on your own work, instead focus on (>implying) them and their opinions/actions.
Sound like insecurity or extreme desire to be social.
>>
>>59651963
>haha.
Don't laugh till you try it. It works.
>>
>>59651985
>Sound like insecurity
Yeah but for what; I don't even know myself.
>extreme desire to be social.
No I have my own circle of friends, don't really care.
>>59651986
I will think about it.
>>
>>59652002
Do let your dreams be dreams.
JUST DO IT.
>>
is cock.li kill?
>>
>>59649213
Whoever did this shop is an idiot.
>>
check out my designated shitposting server in Elixir/Erlang
http://sociopa.tk
>>
>>59652015
It werks for me.
>>
>>59652042
weird, times out for me
>>
I wonder if i could create some small free useful app and become famous, like for example notch who made minecraft (or floppy bird, angry turds, many examples in the gaym dev world)
But apps and games are completely different categories, is there any example of someone who has seen success like that by creating a non game app?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-30_03-30-17.png (24KB, 678x401px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-30_03-30-17.png
24KB, 678x401px
>>59652033
Fuck you dude.
>>
>>59652074
Bill Gates.
>>
>>59652074
zuckerberg :^)
>>
>>59652074
Kikebook started as a shitty site to connect with your old classmates.
>>
>>59652063
VC fucks with it once in a while
I wouldn't be too worried.
>>
>>59652101
Yeah it was so easy back then, internet was garbage and software world was trash, there was nothing good around, so you could make almost anything, but today? You can literally think of the most retarded app idea and someone has already made it, and not only that other people made their versions of that idea as well
>>
>>59652121
Today it's more about who can offer more services and for less pay
>>
>>59652084
restarted
>>
>>59652121
Then hope on the latest buzz and hope it pans out? You either strike gold (minecraft etc) or you plan our your success. The new buzz on the horizon is apparently Augmented Reality.
>>
File: file.png (8KB, 331x130px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
8KB, 331x130px
>>59651633
nvm got it
I looked at the 4chan x source code.
Was helpful.
>>
>>59652157
>Augmented Reality.
That is all about video games tho, and I do have experience with game dev and I know it's tedious as fuck, incredibly time consuming and your chances are almost zero (unless you are a talented artist and want to make a porn game, that is easy mode). But after doing hobby game dev for years I am tired of it and want to hop back into normal dev for a while.
>>
>>59652177
Augmented reality isn't just about video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH_LfXnklRw
>>
>>59652161
>python
>>
>>59652177
>>59652194
AR will actually be good as soon as we get decent displays. VR will never be a thing.
>>
File: 2017-03-30-114138_1366x768_scrot.png (252KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-30-114138_1366x768_scrot.png
252KB, 1366x768px
state of my chat after posting it on 4chan
join: http://sociopa.tk
>>
>>59652207
Which is why AR is the new buzz on the horizon. You know tech companies operate on technology 5 years ahead of what consumers are being currently marketed right?
>>
>download BlueJ
>huh, the interface looks a little different, kinda hard to read the code, but I'm sure I'll get used to it
>try maximising window
>end up with blank window
>try maximising again
>it just ends up expanding the window while leaving the contents the same size in the corner
>try compiling something to see if I need to install a library for it
>comes up with error but doesn't say what the error is
REEEEEE WHY DID THEY MAKE BLUEJ SHIT
>>
>>59652219
That's the theory, til a project runs 10 years late.
>>
>>59652194
>>59652207
AR is for waifus
>>
>>59652239
True. You can only predict a trend. Like tech companies predicted VR but that didn't pan out.

>>59652241
If you can write a pocket AR waifu app. You will be a rich.
>>
File: Mizunashi.Akari.full.23049.jpg (744KB, 1302x2015px) Image search: [Google]
Mizunashi.Akari.full.23049.jpg
744KB, 1302x2015px
>>59649225
https://youtu.be/u9ZeDQUXJYk
>>
>>59652207
This is incorrect.
Both AR and VR will be equally big. VR will be used for gaming, you don't need AR for games at all (obviously there will be AR games too, but for the normal concept of games you don't need to may any actual reality into it) AR will be more used in our daily lives once the technology will be good enough, it will be like google glass, but better obviously and use the entire field of vision to mix the shit up. With google glass the technology simply wasn't there yet, and it will still take some time, because nobody will walk around with a huge visor on their head.
But like I said, for games like call of duty and shit AR is useless because you don't need to use any images from the real world in it.

That being said, targeting AR or VR as a solo deveoper is not a very good idea, the work needed to produce decent shit in that environment is massive. Before solo devs can enter that market and be able to compete, we will have to wait for some big companies to release good dev tools (like Unity 3D is for game dev)
>>
>>59652239
>That's the theory, til a project runs 10 years late.
When I think about is I always think Half Life 3. They have been deving it for like 15 years now no? But that means that about every 5 years their entire work would be completely deprecated with the massive progress in game graphics and physics, so HL3 would either be incredibly outdated upon release or it would have to be like scrapped and completely redone every 5 years.
>>
>>59652278
Right, what's the #1 VR killer app paradigm going to be? Repetitive neck injury? By the time you get a cool VR design you might as well just have a legit flight simulator or something to sit in without the goggles. It was shit in the 90s and it's shit now. Resolution changes nothing.

AR on the other hand just expands our capability to digest the huge amount of data we've got access to all the time. Assuming we get some sort of useful head mounted display that won't fuck with your daily life activity stuff.
>>
File: wut.png (3KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
3KB, 493x402px
>>59651493
tbqh. If your "regular" language is C++ you should really know that "The name 'file' does not exist" means that you have a fucking scoping issue. And you should instictively check your parenthesies.

>btw. I'm not that >>59651425 guy. I'm another guy, but I do agree with him that you don't deserve the job
You should still go for the job for the sake of earning money and surviving, but you should really go back to school or something. You missunderstanding a simple syntax error is a serious issue and you have a lot of learning ahead of you.
>>
>>59652211
Had to leave because the spam killed my Firefox
>>
>>59652296
AR isn't just using head mounted display. It can be used via your phone camera or a 3D projector. AR has plenty of future uses and will actually be a key component if humans ever want to turn into cyborgs or that shit.
>>
>>59652318
Yeah, still useful even without the VR comparison and actually takes advantage of all the ML shit going on behind the scenes everywhere.
>>
>>59652326
Not that guy but VR is dead in the water except for maybe games and "experiences". AR is predicted to be the future. By predicted I mean tech companies see it being a thing 5 years into the future.
>>
>>59652317
you're welcome :^)
>>
>>59652318
>cyborgs
That would be great. But we won't be using glasses at that point. I think we will only be able to consider VR technology fully evolved when it can directly interface with the brain, kind of like matrix.

But that presents some scary problems... like for example, once the VR can directly work with the brain and is good enough to look completely real, then you can't never be sure if you are in a real world, or if some evil hacker or some shit trapped you in a VR world that merely looks exactly like the real word, inception style.
>>
File: qtchan.png (214KB, 1248x872px) Image search: [Google]
qtchan.png
214KB, 1248x872px
>>59649213
still my qtchan
>>
>>59652364
AR has nothing to do with glasses. Any device that can augment reality is considered AR. If technology evolves to the point where you can implant microchips into your eyes to project data into reality space, that is still AR.
>>
Can anyone here recommend racket? My favorite usable language is clojure but I really don't like java and even though people say that you don't need to like it/use it, I found that to not be true in my experiences. I like common lisp and sbcl a lot but I'm not as huge of fan of oop as the rest of the community seems to be and I don't want to be a lonely programmer because of that. SO I've been looking into racket, thoughts?
>>
>>59652621
Well racket is probably the most used scheme implementation. You should also be able to use for mobile apps. https://www.infoq.com/news/2016/10/racket-67-android-apps
John Carmack was pushing racket as scripting language for the oculus.

Not really sure how the racket people program but it also has object system and I assume it's used just as much as in common lisp.
>>
>>59649302
"Rust gives you the power of Dan along with the good looks of Akuma" - Capcom founder
>>
"Inventor of Object-Oriented had C++ in mind."
-- A. key
>>
>>59649957
So, C++ OO model instead of Java/Smalltalk?
>>
I need to generate a random float number in range [0.0, 99.99]. How the hell do I do that? All the random generators work with a [,) set
>>
>>59653329
Generate in [0.0, 100.00) set
>>
>>59653329
I hope you feel bad for not listening on math lectures.
>>
>>59653329
Just do [0.0, 100.0).
Is the difference between 99.99 and 99.9912345
that important?
>>
>>59653343
Yeah I did that, but I wanted to know if theres a known way to do it.
>>
>>59653368
I feel really stupid now. I can just round the double to n decimal spots.
>>
>>59653329
generate int in [0, 10000) and divide by 100.0f
>>
File: crociera-fantasia.jpg (107KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
crociera-fantasia.jpg
107KB, 1600x900px
>it's a student comes to your office hours asking for help with their programming assignment and the problem is "I'm trying to do this complex thing so I copied two tangentially related chunks of code from StackOverflow, pasted them into my project, and it's not working!" episode
>>
>>59653486
that's a long tag line
>>
HOLY CRAP! WHY CAN'T PEOPLE WHO'S ON 4TH SEMESTER OF A CS BACHELOR NOT KNOW HOW TO USE GIT`?!?!?!?!?!
>>
>>59653623
>CS
>real programming skills
Wew.
>>
>>59653638
>switching branches in fucking gitkraken, the most user friendly git client out there is considered a programming skill
oh god... I might just drop out...
>>
>>59653655
because it's easy people dont bother learning it until they need it
>>
>>59653623
Oh boy, you're in for a ride.
60% of the students are pure bottom of the barrel trash that could not even code themselves out of a wet paperbag.

>Example - Operating Systems final exam:
>Arrange a typical TCP client connection from the following syscalls:
>open(), connect(), exit(), socket(), read(), write(), close(), bind(), listen(), accept(), send(), receive()

You would not believe what crap we read during correction. Retards simply garbling up memorized shit (for the server side of course) were the better half of that.

My all time favorite:
>Give the following bytes in network byte order. Note that all sequences are given in big endian :^)
>0xab
>>
I'm planning on studying in a 1st level professional a.k.a. college programming course. There are also two other bachelor courses with extra academics, but a lot of it seems useless in real life. Of course I can't study further for masters, etc., but it takes a year less and seems to include only more practical subjects. Am I doing good?
>>
>>59653739
>>59653748
christ people are stupid...
>>
>>59653486
Are you playing the role of the student?

>>59653623
>2nd year CS course
>One of the compulsory papers
>There was a tutorial specifically on how to use git
>Later, there is a group project
>"Oh, I didn't bother going to that"
>Wants to share code over Google drive of all fucking places
Those guys could seriously go fuck themselves. I shit-talked a little bit about them in the individual report at the end.
In later papers, several of the assignments mandated that you upload your code and the .git folder with it.
>>
>>59653818
>Are you playing the role of the student?
No.
>>
>>59653818
> Google drive
I feel you man.. I also had to deal with that on my 2nd year

I've started to lonewolf the big semester assignments because the others doesn't even know how to initialize an array. It's hillarious during examns when they get questions about the code. They don't know anything and it's not even because I didn't document it. I commented all the important parts and made easy digestable class diagrams with descriptions and put them into the report etc.
They are just too lazy to even read the "group"-report.... I seriously hope it gets better when I actually get a job...
>>
>>59653880
stories like this make me sceptical about going to an uni
>>
>>59653925
You do learn a lot, and it's supposedly easier to get a job if you've finished uni
>>
>>59653925
I'm not who you replied to (I'm >>59653818), but I'm currently in my final semester of University and I thought it was pretty good. There was a lot of shit that I learned which I doubt I would have learned anywhere else.
Group projects weren't even that common, and some of the time, you could opt to do it alone. Also, it seems that once you get to the third year, the level of retardation drops quite a bit.
>>
can i uh, like... disable namespaces in c++? i appreciate the effort but like, i'd uh rather not? hello?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-30_07-36-19.png (32KB, 502x575px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-30_07-36-19.png
32KB, 502x575px
>>59652211
Stop killing it without notice fag.

>>59652317
KEK. Firefox is shit. Chromium was handling 100 million character posts just fine.
>>
>>59654035
you can just not use them, or go back to c
>>
A library full of books, guys (literally sitting in the library). What book do you recommend I go grab right now? I was thinking about applied cryptography 2e
>>
>>59653989
can you tell what your curriculum looked like?
>>
>>59651022
Do you want the IDE to wipe your ass for you as well? Fuck it may as well just employ the IDE you useless cunt
>>
>>59654044
i can't not use them! my code is either littered by :: or my code is margnally less littered and i instead have to keep track of what namespace i'm currently using
>>
>>59654053
Analog computers
>>
>>59654078
You're a man of fine taste
>>
>>59654056
I'm in a New Zealand university, so it probably isn't the same as what another university would be like.
A bachelor of science is only 3 years here, compared to the more typical 4 years elsewhere. So what I say might not be very relevant to you.
I think it's a somewhat standard course though.
"Intro to computer science" in the first year.
"Computer systems" (OS-level stuff), "Computer communications" (Basic networking), "Data structures", "Object-oriented design" (This paper was shit), "Logic and computation" (Pure CS theory) were compulsory in the second year.
No specific 3rd year courses were compulsory, but many of them just build on the stuff in the second year. I went into the more networking and low-level related stuff. I even did a couple of "4th year" courses about ISP-level networking and cyber security, because I thought they were interesting, but I didn't have to.

Obviously there was other shit that branches into web development, mobile app development, artificial intelligence, game development, databases, and whatnot, but none of it was compulsory, and I never got into that.
>>
Why is java superior to all other languages?
>>
>>59654188
thanks!
>>
>>59649225
https://www.noisli.com/
>>
>>59654271
how can people be productive like this
>>
>>59654231
Universities teach it so that they don't have to deal with the platform differences of C or C++ on Windows vs. Linux vs Mac. Also, with garbage collection, it's easier to teach to students so they don't have to worry about memory management until they get to a systems programming class, when they're familiar with OOP concepts and basic programming.

Businesses use it because it's faster to develop in (for the aformentioned reasons), and companies which produce consumer-grade software don't need to worry about micro-optimizations or high performance too much.
>>
>>59654271
She does that stupid quirky sideways smile like a sim in sims 2
>>
While watching SICP video lectures, I have noticed that people write down something. Is it notes? Why someone would do so? I mean they have book right in front of them.
>>
>>59654383
>>>/v/
>>
>>59654384
Writing things down with a pencil helps some people commit it to memory, moreso than even typing on a keyboard. I personally learn this way as well.

In fact, I don't pay attention during lectures. I can't learn that way. The lectures go way too slowly and I feel myself getting bored or distracted in between powerpoint slides. I either work on something during class, or I skip. Either way, I just read the textbook chapters a bit before exam dates and I score just fine. By the end of the semester, I'll have read the entirety of the textbook for each class.
>>
>>59654424
What kind of books do you read? Something like CLRS?
>>
File: IMG_20161216_111521.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161216_111521.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>59654378
>>59654271
I have a couple stickers on my laptop, tastefully placed (not plastered on like some street thug vandalizing public property) which I got for participating in a programming contest in Japan

Pic related
>>
>>59654451
On my own, I read books like that, SICP, Applied Cryptography, and various textbooks I find in my university library.

For class, I just read whatever textbook they prescribe (which I steal)
>>
Should i learn rust?
Why not?
>>
>>59654540
No.
Why should you?
>>
>>59654540
Do you know C/C++/Java yet? If you don't then Rust is a good option. Otherwise just continue doing whatever and maybe learn Rust if you want.

It's not mature enough for prime time but knowing it will be great in a few years.
>>
is having a dedicated thread for accepting connections normal in server apps?
>>
>>59654548
because it is good learning new stuff through whole life, learning is everything
and thinking about fucking hot hoes while you sit alone in your home :'((((((((((((((((((

>>59654552
i do, and also php c#
>>
>>59654271
>>59654464
I don't know how about you, but laptop stickers cause ultimate cringe for me.
>>
>>59654648
the back of your laptop is a window into your personality. if you don't put stickers there you're showing that world that you're a blank slate of a human being.
>>
>>59654588
Yes. What language/framework are you using? in Node, this thread is handled since Javascript supports events by default, but in C you have to use a library like libevent, in which case you have to have a separate thread to wait for events since that's the only thing that thread can do now.
>>
>>59654667
>the back of your laptop is a window into your personality
I am not a faggot to show my personality.
>>
>>59654812
because you don't have one sperg
>>
>>59654819
Wow, a big boy is swearing.
>>
>>59654678
java, its for school shit
just using standard IO and threadpool atm, might switch to nio if its easier
>>
File: average rust developer.jpg (38KB, 452x586px) Image search: [Google]
average rust developer.jpg
38KB, 452x586px
>>59654667
>the back of your laptop is a window into your personality. if you don't put stickers there you're showing that world that you're a blank slate of a human being.
>>
>>59649225
I don't. I don't have ADHD. Silence is fine if I busy finishing a problem I want to work on.
>>
>>59654967
well, i'm being facetious, but that's how some people will see it. proceed at your own risk.
>>
>>59649225
my tinnitus
>>
Question:

Where do you all learn to do most of your programming? I assume I won't get better by just posting here. Mostly looking for c#, C++, and Java. Thats what most jobs want.
>>
>>59655245
Learn by doing.
>>
>>59655262
This
>>
>>59655245
>I assume I won't get better by just posting here
Not at writing code itself perhaps but participating in communities is a good way of gaining a birds view understanding of a field.
>>
>>59655266
>>59655262
Alright, fair enough. But where do you get the ideas for what you want to program next? How do you learn more without getting in way over your head?

I have a bachelors and a love for programming.
But apparently I'm bottom of the barrel trash and I'd like to fix that.
>>
>>59655313
http://rgho.st/private/7cZNPNZ2d/9e0a59ffc816db3901013b59bf709b20
>>
>>59655313
https://better-dpt-roll.github.io/
>>
>>59655466
Alright.. Where do I start?

I've been toying around with the idea to make a text editor that allows you to print formatted code (imagine a document where instead of the inline comments and code being on the same line, inline comments become footnotes, which I imagine will make the document easier to read)
>>
>>59655490
read about gui libraries for your favourite programming language and event driven programming
>>
>>59655466
>>59655463
Thank you.
I do those in order right?
>>
>>59655490
A graphics window with a dynamic array of chars.
Also allow navigation anywhere without typing for fast notes / comments. Often called "virtual space".
>>
>>59655537
Whatever makes you happy.
>>
My friend said functional languages are better than C because you can do more algorithms that don't exist in C. Is he right? Can't you just include the algorithm to put it it into your code?
>>
>>59655673
Could you ask your friend what kind of algorithms he is talking about?
>>
>>59655673
Algorithms arent why fp is better.
FP teaches you to think in reverse of imperative. Types arent just what your variables are, but the foundation of how you build your program. Thats why the idea of try/catch and exceptions are silly.
>>
>>59655765
FP doesn't have to be typed.
>>
If it looks like an int, and acts like an int, it must be an int.
>>
>>59655774
Sure, if you want to go down the purist route to lambda calculus.
>>
>>59655765
> FP teaches you to think in reverse of imperative
That's declarative programming, but not FP.
>>
>>59655792
If it looks like an int, and acts like an int, it can't be averaged with an other int in C.
>>
>>59655804
They're pretty related though. Purity wants no side-effects and thats what DP tries to ensure.
>>
>>59655835
Yet you can have impure FP.
>>
>>59655868
Yes?
That doesnt make what i said wrong.
FP is just a form of DP. Unless youre just being pedantic. I never mentioned any absolutes.
>>
I am SICK and TIRED of you hipsters with your FP and types and shit. Just STOP. I have spent 30 years working with C++. How about make C++ better why throw away everything? You remind me of the kid at work who is always going on about "my gentu my gentu" just use Windows you piece of shit, stop already.
>>
>>59655913
>How about make C++ better why throw away everything?

It's too late.
>>
>>59655913
>30 years of C++
Maybe you'd just try something other than C++ once in 30 years?
>>
Will adding javascript target with node.js support to HolyC be considered heresy?
>>
>>59655913
Just convince the committee to break code and you can have a proper c++ in a decade.
Thats literally the only reason why c++ became a monster.
>>
>>59655946
>letting the outside botnet touch God's Chosen Languageā„¢

Shame on you heretic.
>>
>>59655945
I haven't put nailpolish on my dick in 30 years either what's your point
>>
Retard here - I have this source code from some libraries and I need to compile it exactly into this:

x64 md 140_xp
x64 release
platform 140_xp
runtime md

and use multibyte

Now I have visual studio 2017 how do I do all that?
>>
My visual studio is updating really slowly. but I have a project to work on. is there anywhere I can test code out in c# while I wait for the update to finish?
>>
>>59650085
Holy shit, son.

Not 100% on what your text looks like, but to print every line that starts with "start" in C#:

File.ReadAllLines(muhFile).Where(x => x.StartsWith("start")).ForEach(WriteLine);
>>
>>59656170
Where were you last night?
That's all I wanted last night. and instead I caught hell.
>>
>>59656110
Help/
>>
>>59656194
Probably because you're trying to get a job you're not qualified for, and asking /dpt/ to do your homework for you?
>>
>>59656231
I asked what I was doing wrong because I didn't see it. I didn't ask anyone to do my homework for me.
>>
File: 1467289260779.jpg (63KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1467289260779.jpg
63KB, 604x604px
How do you plan out a project, big or small?

I'm tired of running headfirst into the editor, slapping the first that that comes to my mind only to switch to other components, find the outputs don't work in tandem, and refactor 8 different things at once.
>>
New thread:

>>59656280
>>59656280
>>59656280
>>
>>59656194
should have been on the discord, brah

I'm only on /dpt/ during the day while at work
>>
>>59656295
>discord
>>>/v/
>>
>>59655673
Your friends are ignorant.
Any programs in FP can be emulated by some C programs.
The other way around works too.
That's because C and usual FP languages are Turing Complete.
>>
File: new avatar.jpg (8KB, 326x245px) Image search: [Google]
new avatar.jpg
8KB, 326x245px
>>59649213
implementing a service discovery layer into aws ecs x_x
>>
File: 1480182141771.png (953KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
1480182141771.png
953KB, 1000x680px
>>59649213

Im a beginner developer, the languages im familiar with is Pascal, Visual Basic, PHP.

I got a work offer to develop a video management software (for soccer games) that select clips from the game and add ssome statistics to them and saves them in sub folders.

I don't even know where to start but I have a lot of time to develop it.

What language could I use for this project that can I can learn with relative ease?
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.