[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vim user here considering learning Emacs Worth it or not worth it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: GNU_Emacs_W32.png (44KB, 1046x687px) Image search: [Google]
GNU_Emacs_W32.png
44KB, 1046x687px
Vim user here considering learning Emacs

Worth it or not worth it?
>>
That's like saying "photoshop user here considering learning windows"
>>
well you don't really have anything to lose so why not learn it? could come in handy someday you never know
>>
>>59646213
You'll getting tired of holding Control and Meta key and finally killing yourself.
>>
>>59646319
>Not using the Emacs™ Foot Pedal Pro
Shiggy diggy.
>>
>>59646304
>well you don't really have anything to lose

Except time.

Which is only your most precious resource.
>>
>>59646213
I only use emacs to code lisp, and to be honest I think that's the only reason to choose emacs over vim. Even then you will probably want to keep using vi with evil mode.
>>
>>59646360
Learning anything takes time retard.
>>
>>59646213
vim8 allows for async
>>
>>59646213
You know, next week I should have light work and I'm going to give it a shot.

I hate modern IDEs, and Sublime Text is ok but doesn't convince me 100%, something like vim (which I use) but more sophisticated is what I'm looking for, and emacs looks just like it, I'm confident a week is more than enough to learn it.
>>
>>59646213
Sure, give it a shot OP

But really, why are you asking a bunch of retards in /g/ when you already know the answers are going to be

> yes
> no
> kys fag
> tfw not using vscode

Just try it already and stop wasting time asking us.

Yes, emacs is great. I switched from vim 4 years ago. Use evil mode.
>>
I would just learn basic Emacs then use something like Spacemacs, much easier for a Vim user to transition into.
>>
File: timetravel.jpg (104KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
timetravel.jpg
104KB, 500x452px
>>59646575
>Yes, emacs is great.
>Use evil mode.
Do you even know how stupid you sound
>>
>>59646676
not using modal keybindings guarantees carpal tunnel and penis shrinkage.
>>
>>59646271
you need emacs to use vim? what
>>
>>59646729
Can't you rebind the meta or whatever?
>>
OP here

My question is if there is any benefits to Emacs over Vim. If there's plenty I would consider learning it. If not then what's the point.
>>
>>59646763
no matter what you rebind things to, you're still chording instead of pressing single keys. It's gonna hurt after awhile.

the vim editing model is far superior, but you get the power of emacs lisp too.
>>
>>59646783
magit and org-mode are the killer apps for me, look them up.

in general, emacs major modes (vim filetype plugins) are far more robust.

http://emacsrocks.com/
>>
>>59646783

I'm a vim user with a vimrc of over 550 lines. I tried learning spacemacs and I really did like it. However, I couldn't get omnisharp to work. I'm currently learning clisp with Land Of Lisp, cause I'm interested in functional and meta programming. I did enjoy what spacemacs offered in terms of its design, but honestly, vimscript sucks ass, and I'm really curious as to how elisp can be used to extend the editor.

Also, package management is a bit better than vim.

Also, use evil-mode. That's a must have.
>>
Emacs is the gentleman's editor: https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-paper.html

Vim is a fucking monkey editor for bros.
>>
Going from vim to emacs is like going from GNU/Linux to windows
>>
Depends. Are you doing actual programming/coding work? The benefit to emacs over vim is mostly useful for coding purposes.
>>
>>59648409
I prefer nano
>>
>>59648409
vi is fine and
ed is the standard unix text editor
>>
>>59646213
I started out using emacs because I wanted to make a blog with orgmode for work just of shit we were writing down. Then I figured out to import it as a To-do list and started using orgmode for all things at work. Then since I got used to the keybinding I started using emacs for all editing too running it as a daemon in the background and zipping in and out to configure servers. Then I discovered I could just script the configuration in emacs completely and now I discovered I can just provision every server using Guix, which I can control from within emacs and now I never leave it, even to shitpost here
>>
>>59646754
No, but you need an OS.
>>
>>59646213
fuck all of you
>TUI
nano
vim
>GUI
Mousepad
Gedit
>IDE
ST3
>>
>>59646213
Spacemacs is easy to immigrate for vim users.
>>
>>59646213
Idk man. Vim user here never tried emacs but it seems cool. Not some disgusting pleb shit like nano.
>>
Waste of time.
>>
>>59646271
what did he mean by this?
>>
Not worth it. I tried switching, but it's hard to get a completely modal interface on emacs even with evil mode. I would rather endure a small amount of vimscript once than live with the fact that it's impossible to make emacs have a complete vim-like experience.
>>
>>59648347
>evil
Another vimmer learning Emacs + evil-mode. Looks good so far.

Spacemacs is shit. I don't want to use a config distro that contains everything and the kitchen sink.
>>
>>59650938
This. Vi is an industry standard and a part of POSIX. Emacs is a GNU-shit, people who have an experience with BSD understand what mean linuxism and GNU shit.
>>
>The programmable editor is an outstanding opportunity to learn to program! A beginner can see the effect of his simple program on the text he is editing; this feedback is fast and in an easily understood form. Educators have found display programming to be very suited for children experimenting with programming, for just this reason (see LOGO).

>Programming editor commands has the additional advantage that a program need not be very large to be tangibly useful in editing. A first project can be very simple. One can thus slide very smoothly from using the editor to edit into learning to program with it.

>When large numbers of nontechnical workers are using a programmable editor, they will he tempted constantly to begin programming in the course of their day-to-day lives. This should contribute greatly to computer literacy, especially because many of the people thus exposed will be secretaries taught by society that they are incapable of doing mathematics, and unable to imagine for a moment that they can learn to program. But that won't stop them from learning it if they don't know that it is programming that they are learning! According to Bernard Greenberg, this is already happening with Multics EMACS.

You aren't really using Emacs until you've started writing your own commands.

It's a shame that 41 years later, there still aren't any programmable editors beside Emacs.
>>
>>59651443
It's unfortunate that emacs is so much worse a text editor than a programmable OS environment.

Are there any tiny lisp-y VMs?
>>
>>59650647
>TUI
>>
File: Ignucius.jpg (11KB, 300x303px) Image search: [Google]
Ignucius.jpg
11KB, 300x303px
Emacs is pretty great. Especially if you install the helm plugin, then you can fuzzy search your way to glory.

Just be sure to remap ctrl to capslock because you spend all god damn day holding ctrl down.
>>
>>59646213
>Worth it or not worth it?

Stopped reading there.
>>
>>59646213
why just not write maps/plugins for the features that you like from Emacs for vim?
>>
>>59646213
Knowing emacs bindings is useful even if you don't use emacs because bash, nano and some other softwares support the emacs editing bindings.
>>
>>59651014
emacs has so many features, that is practically an operating system unto itself.
>>
Try it, OP. Emacs is an excellent operating system, only lacking a decent text editor.
>>
>>59653306
this
>>
I only use emacs for ses mode for spreadsheets.
>>
I only use Emacs for Org-mode
>>
>>59646783
If there's anything you wanna do, you can probably do it in Emacs.

It's even got a fucking window manager. A fucking window manager in your text editor.

How the hell can you look at that and not flip your shit laughing. Emacs is worth using just for the giggles.

Spacemacs is good. Helm; org-mode, AUCTeX (with cdlatex); Tetris, all killer features for Emacs.

I don't use it for programming though
>>
>>59650647
>Using Superlame Text
>Using a DE's default text editor
>using a DE at all
>TUI
>>
>>59653426
Explain

I tried using Org tables for spreadsheets but they suck, but Libreoffice Calc is also shit because it has no good keybindings and I can't go back to using a mouse to do anything

I could make do without spreadsheets but they're handy once in a while
>>
File: out.png (380KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
out.png
380KB, 1600x900px
>>59654821
>It's even got a fucking window manager.
confirmed
https://github.com/ch11ng/exwm/
its comfy as fuck too
>>
>>59654850
>>59651808
Terminal User Interface. I could also have called it CLI
>>
>>59655131
>>59651808
ed is CLI, vi and vim are TUI.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.