[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should we switch back to legacy bios from uefi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: goripc.png (64KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
goripc.png
64KB, 1000x667px
Should we switch back to legacy bios from uefi?
>>
>>59638913
Yes. UEFI is just a standard for EFIs but nonetheless, a majority of implementations are too big and bloated with too many security holes. Any pre-OS software like that won't get updated as often and should be small and secure, and should only contain the bare essentials to initialize only the hardware required to run a small bit of software that can locate a hard drive and look for a bootloader/boot manager. That's it. You UEFI is too fucking big and complicated when you can a web browser in it. Fuck Intel and fuck UEFI.
>>
>>59641030
Sounds like you too had trouble installing an OS because of UEFI. I agree with you
>>
Yes because my system takes too long to post. It's literally five seconds at least, might be more like 7 or 8.
>>
>>59638913
Always.
>>
I don't have a problem with UEFI. I have a problem with it being closed source.
In the ARM world opensource boot loaders with support for many boards are pretty common (u-boot).
I'd like to see this for x86 as well.
>>
>>59638913
Are you talking about clicking the little legacy option in your UEFI or willingly limiting your hardware to what an actual BIOS can handle?
>>
>>59642204
Like Coreboot but with more extended use and support from manufacturers? That a paralel universe I'd love to live in.
>>
>>59638913
It's not like people wanted to use UEFI, but rather that BIOS couldn't handle a lot of the new hardware without severely limiting it.
>>
>>59638913
Yes!
>>
>>59642056
Yes, I have. The problem is that stupid signing system where if there's no option to add your own keys and there's legacy BIOS mode, you're stuck with Windows forever. It's absolutely abhorrent.

>>59642204
UEFI isn't really a bootloader. I mean technically, yes but no one calls it one. That's a label usually given to things like GRUB, Windows Loader, or iBoot since they are stored on the hard drive with the OS most of the time, where as the EFI is in the EEPROM chip on the board.

>>59642313
No. That doesn't completely solve the UEFI problem. UEFI itself is a problem.

>>59642467
The hardware limitations of a traditional BIOS are worth it if I don't have to use the clusterfuck from hell that is UEFI.
>>
I have, fuck uefi.
>>
>>59644776
>if there's no legacy BIOS mode
I typed that too quickly.
>>
Is there anyway to make BIOS compatible with GPT?
>>
File: 6-causes-cat-vomit.jpg (52KB, 600x456px) Image search: [Google]
6-causes-cat-vomit.jpg
52KB, 600x456px
>>59638913
UEFI is garbage. Probably backdoored as well.
>>
Thank u /g/entoomen
>>
>>59645025
It is literally proven to be backdoored
>>
>>59638913
i dont know much about this
can you switch without reinstalling?
I've heard UEFI slightly raises input lag
>>
>>59646978
why not just use securboot? that then makes it more secure than legacy
>>
>>59638913
Yes
>>
>>59642313
A bios doesn't at all limit your hardware
>>
>>59638913
Yes, along with ACPI and maybe PCI
>>
Fuck UEFI, I hate it. Someone explain it a bit better though, please.
>>
>>59644817
The bios doesn't care what partition format you use, unlike uefi.
The bios only cares about what's in the first 512 bytes of your disk
>>
no fuck bios,
bios at the end of its life was cobbled together Frankenstein of shit so it would work with modern hardware.
its time to fucking move on.
>>
>>59638913
Absolutely. There is no reason why UEFI is needed.
The only reason UEFI exists is so the CIA can pwn your machine with zero effort.

You can use GPT labels with BIOS too.
>>
>>59647812
t. CIA nigger
>>
>>59647830
>The only reason UEFI exists is so the CIA can pwn your machine with zero effort.
they seem pretty incompetent most of the time senpai..
You guys make it seem like they have all a drive filled with 0-day hacks and backdoors, yet at the same time they couldn't even find bin laden for years or stop terrorist attacks.

*if* the state wanted to specifically monitor you, they would - with or without UEFI
>>
>>59644817
i use GPT exclusively on my bios-only machine
as >>59647763 said, bios doesn't give a fuck
the first 512 bytes are reserved/left alone by GPT for legacy reasons (to not confuse GPT-unaware partition software), so it's easy enough to bootstrap a GPT-aware bootloader such as grub from a GPT disk on a bios machine

fuck, you can even use this to boot into a UEFI emulator such as Clover, if you need some UEFI... on a bios machine
>>
>>59648048
>fuck, you can even use this to boot into a UEFI emulator such as Clover, if you need some UEFI... on a bios machine
-- to give a practical example
a short while ago a friend wanted me to switch the OS disk in an old bios machine with a new 4TB disk
naturally, to use the full 4TB it needs to be GPT, but then he uses windows, which doesn't support GPT disks on bios machines
so i setup Clover on the disk, and installed windows through that, so windows thinks it's on a UEFI machine
works fine
>>
>>59638913
Can we port OpenFirmware to UEFI-capable boards? It's already free.
>>
I've never seen a motherboard where you can't get rid of UEFI mode and just boot any OS as normal
>>
File: a.png (39KB, 804x407px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
39KB, 804x407px
>>59648098
ah, it was 3TB, doesn't matter
>>
>>59648121
>openfirmware
nobody likes to write forth
>>
>>59638913
Am I the only one who never had problems with UEFI?
(it's a T430 laptop)
>>
>>59648265
Forth is god-tier.
>>
>>59648354
Forth is trash
>>
>>59641030
>Fuck Intel and fuck UEFI.
EFI has one purpose: To make life for the NSA easier when they boot up your machine with IME
>>
>>59649698
says the baby who can't into postfix
>>
>>59650517
Of course I can . But why would I want to?
>>
>>59650163
What's this ime?
>>
>>59638913
I've literally never used uefi. Is it any good?
>>
>>59651121
Your favorite search engine is your friend
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.