[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CPU overheating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hi,
my cpu is getting very hot (95-100°C) while playing Overwatch. Now i checked if the heatsink was mounted properly and im not 100% sure but i think i did it right. Ive had this pc for around 5 years now so my question is, is used up thermal paste really gonna cause my cpu to heat up like that? Or is it almost necessary for the heatsink to be mounted wrong when it reaches that temperature? Ive got an i5 3570k with the stock cooler. Thanks.
>>
Wtf, my MacBook Pro doesn't reach 100º

You are doing something wrong, probably bad mounted cooler
>>
>>59636987
Does the fan spin?
>yes
Is the cooler clogged with dust?
>no
Have you just overclocked the bejesus out of it
>what's overclocking?
Just change the damn paste
>>
>stock cooler
A $30 cooler will be a vast improvement and will be a good opportunity to reapply your thermal paste
>>
>>59636987
Combination of dust, cheap dried up thermal paste, and using a shitty stock cooler will do that.

Get a aftermarket cooler like a Coolermaster heatsink, mount it on your CPU, change the thermal paste with some artic silver.
>>
>>59637034
>>59637029
>>59637019
>>59637017
the fan is spinning and the cpu is running on stock clock, do you think an aftermarket cooler is necessary? or will reapplying of the thermal paste be sufficient
>>
>>59637063
Do CPU's get hotter with age?
What kind of fucking moron are you. Just change the damn paste.
>>
>>59637081
sorry dude i just didnt know thermal paste could make a thirty+ fuckin degree difference
>>
>>59637108
It's because getting a good paste instead of the pre applied crap lets the cpu transfer more heat to the cooler. And it usually lasts longer
>>
>>59637108
Just get a good cheap aftermarket cooler like a Gamaax 400 or 212 EVO, and then you'll have headroom to overclock too
>>
>>59637108
Five years. The paste is dust and air gaps now.
>>
>>59637063

An aftermarket cooler would certainly help. Stock coolers, in particular Intel's, are garbage. I only use them if I know the machine is going to be doing basic work - otherwise I spend the extra $20-30 bucks on a decent aftermarket. The 212 EVO is kind of the standard entry one; however, it's really only decent because its fuck hueg.
>>
>>59637151
>>59637147
>>59637129
>>59637125
thanks for the answers, i will think about getting an aftermarket cooler to overclock sometime
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.