[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: tcl-tk.gif (3KB, 120x181px) Image search: [Google]
tcl-tk.gif
3KB, 120x181px
Tcl was designed with the goal of being very simple but powerful.

I just cloc'ed the Github project, it's 250 000 lines of code in 20 languages. It's big and complicated, and the only thing it's used for is making ugly GUIs. It's neither simple nor powerful.

Or am I wrong?
>>
>>59621439
> It's neither simple nor powerful.
So it's basically like other homoiconic languages, except you can at least create ugly GUIs ootb.
/thread

Now, seriously: You notice how the c in tcl stands for command? Their mistake was trying to shake that off instead of embracing it, i.e. trying to become a standalone scripting language with an embedded command language syntax/semantics.
>>
>>59621543
> Their mistake was trying to become a standalone scripting language

Agreed. Scripting languages perform best when they are a small toolset designed for specific fields and audiences, like Lua.

Do you know of any examples of modest scripting languages, who took that approach and didn't try to conquer the world?
>>
>>59621603
You mean like Lua, disregarding the retarded fanbase that uses it for other things than configuration scripts?
You mean like Wren or AngelScript, disregarding the retarded fanbase that WILL want to use it for other things than gaymen?
You mean like JS, disregarding the retarded fanbase that tries to use it for other things than FUCKING NOTHING...

I don't know anon, it seems more like a trend to create bigger stuff. See Lily. Seems cool, but I doubt the author alone can create all the libraries required for it to be used in a broader public.
There is also the Dart SDK, which in its core should be rather decent.
Also, there is a lot of crap on the other end of the spectrum nobody uses, like AWK.
>>
>github project
Another idiot who thinks that git is Github.
>>
>>59621780
> It seems more like a trend to create bigger stuff
Maybe not if you active resist it and insist on the benefits of having a clear domain and domination in that domain.

Also, Lua is also good for game engine scripts and other embeddable apps.

>>59621927
Fine, they use a different host, what a big fucking difference. Don't forget to remind other people that what they are actually using is GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59621439
>What went wrong?

RMS (yes, Stallman) started spreading FUD that Tcl is shit and you should never use it.
As a complete coincidence, Guile was announced as a replacement around the same time. And in a typical GNU fashion, it was a massive failure.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.