[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SECURITY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: 1485277532963.jpg (68KB, 599x398px) Image search: [Google]
1485277532963.jpg
68KB, 599x398px
Most secure operating systems?

MacOS vs. Windows 10 vs. Linux

iOS vs. Android

Which side wins when it comes to being the most secure? Do the Macfags win? What about the Android and Linux and Winfags?

Serious discussion only pls
>>
>>59619367
>Serious discussion only pls

You are asking the stupid question.
>>
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>59619378
I mean I want a serious discussion instead of /v/ tier bullshit like

>Hurr no gaymes on da Mac

>Durr you is da Homosex cus you guys an iPhone

Or

>Lololololololo Winbabbies BTFO'D!!!!!!! XDDDDDD

I just want a serious discussion about which hardware/software is most secure in these worrying times of CIA Niggers
>>
>>59619367
MacOS and iOS are the most secure.....Not bulletproof, but still the most secure. It's not a very popular opinion around here but it's the truth
>>
Android and Windows are the most secure because they get attacked the most. They have to stay alert whereas Apple thinks they're fucking untouchable which they so fucking aren't
>>
>>59619367
I use VLC to secure my Windows
>>
>>59619800
That doesn't make any sense though
>>
Bump

C'mon anons......How do we fight the CIA Niggers?
>>
>>59619575
Fools
>>
>>59619926
Why?
>>
templeOS
>>
>>59620353
>using schizophrenia OS
>>
You can't compare them. It's like saying embedded dishwasher system is more secure, than internet enabled radio.
Android is less secure because it is so open for modifications and every component can be replaced. IOS is more secure, but has no functionality and no holes because of less complicated code. It's like saying stone castle would stand better in hurricane, than skyscraper, but where would you like to live?

And I don't think Macs are so secure, there were one command privilege escalations, while Linux didn't have ones (I think). Also there is the same problem, Linux has to be able to support multiple windows servers and desktop environments, each of them with replaceable managers, renderers, compositors. Mac doesn't need that, it may be more secure as less complicated then, and yet still you can't change resolution in correct way.
>>
Any hardware nowadays is backdoored.
libreboot.org/faq#intel
>>
>>59620442
Hmmm interesting. Thank you for the actually useful and productive contribution the thread anon
>>
>>59620425
>paying for internet when you have godwords
>>
>>59619367
Linux
Windows 10 Mobile
>>
>>59620442
>and yet still you can't change resolution in correct way

what do you mean by this?
>>
>>59619378
>I just want a serious discussion about which hardware/software is most secure in these worrying times of CIA Niggers
neither
>>
>>59619378
>I just want a serious discussion about which hardware/software is most secure in these worrying times of CIA Niggers
neither
>>
>>59620598
At least when playing with them in shops I noticed the menu for changing resolution doesn't even inform you about exact screen dimensions. You can only scale display, not set exact dimensions. And that scaling sometimes is non-uniform, eg width is scaled more than height.
>>
File: IMG_3808.jpg (111KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3808.jpg
111KB, 640x360px
I rawdog OSX with no AV; never had a problem.
>>
>>59619367

Probably a high-security Lanookz distro, like Qubes.
>>
File: 1471010387410.jpg (223KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471010387410.jpg
223KB, 1200x1200px
>>59619367
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>Hardware backdoors operating at the physical layer
>Muh secure operating system
>>
>>59619367
Security with proprietary software is impossible.
>>
>>59619367

What's the threat model?

If we're talking about state actors (CIA, NSA etc.) then nothing is truly secure.

Excluding nation state actors, iOS is by far the most secure, no user access to the filesystem, heavily sandboxed applications, and crypto all the things with the SE leaves very little attack surface in comparison to other operating systems.

Of course you would have to implicitly trust that Apple has done their homework and its not a bad actor themselves.

Consider this, with the A9 SoC and later Apple has shifted the generation of the Unique ID (which prevents decryption from being done off device) from being generated and burned into the silicon at the factory to being generated on device by the Secure Element on first boot. (Using OTP silicon to store the newly created UID I'd presume)

Either they blew a whole bunch of engineering money on smoke and mirrors or they just reduced exposure to tampering at the production line by state actors. (Not just US but Chinese, Indian, etc)
>>
>>59619367
MacOS and iOS are most secure from scriptkiddy attacks

Nothing is secure from NSA attacks other than A Windows 98 non-SE pentium 3 computer running on a token ring network
>>
>>59619367
OpenBSD
Video game consoles, during their lifetime.
>>
>>59619367
>Which is more secure
I believe Qubes OS is more secure than Windows 10, which is much more secure than a regular Gentoo distro, which is again much more secure than a jailbroken iPhone (whose jailbreak relies on the exploitation and maintenance of 0days).

Security is not quantifiable. First, it relies on the humain factor: if you use a DIY super secure distro but you let the telnet port open you're fucked. It's not quantifiable also because each flaw is unique and because a system's security is as weak as its weakest part. OpenBSD provides its own software and only 3 loopholes have been discovered since its creation; however, if you've been using Firefox during the fonts library 0day exploit, you've been exposed to cyberattacks.

Your OS' security is also not the only component to consider. If you install a meme BIOS, every system that relies on it is fucked, even if it were OpenBSD. At an even deeper layer, your security depends of your hardware, and largely from your CPU: Sandy Bridge Intel vPro processors should be more secure than the last i7 one.
>>
Qubes OS or OpenBSD I guess.
I prefer Qubes at the moment, but I'd like to have the features from Qubes but with OpenBSD instead of Fedora.
>>
>>59622825
almost nobody use OpenBSD

Video game consoles?
PS4 was already hacked several times to run pirated games in at least two versions of firmware
>>
>>59619367
OpenBSD
>>
>>59623847
I'd like to add that when I mean that each exploit is unique, what I mean is that there are privileges escalation exploits, which grant root privileges, and maybe IoT exploits, which let your webcam vulnerable. We can't rate security because it depends again of the person's own greatest risks: though it looks like nothing to you, an undercover FBI agent wouldn't want their identity to be leaked.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.