[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Cyber Security a meme ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

File: password chart.jpg (251KB, 833x1082px) Image search: [Google]
password chart.jpg
251KB, 833x1082px
>Is going to college for a cyber security degree a bad idea
>anybody have a job in it
>how is it
>>
I was thinking of going to DePaul for a BS in cyber security, will it land me a job anons ?
>>
when a reactor in Iran blows up, it isnt a meme anymore.
>>
>>59611343
who are you quoting?
>>
if you go to the right school (aka something getting money from the government), you will turn down job offers.

at the same time, if you spend your time acting like a complete fucking tool on /g/, you wont make it.

if you dont expect to spend time learning on your own, you wont make it.
>>
>>59611343
Can someone try and break this password?

Jeb!4Pres2020
>>
>>59611343
How the hell do you greentext?
>>
>>59612328
Jeb!4Pres2020
Took me less than a second. Try something harder next time.
>>
>>59611343
If your name isn't Ivan or Vlad, then you have nothing to do in this sphere
>>
>>59611343
it's a growth industry. To get a vague idea of what jobs are like, see if your college participates in CCDC.
>>
>>59612335
>>59612335
By doing this.
>Hello!
>>
>>59612335
Hello newfag, welcome to 4chan. Can i just direct you to our FAQ? It is necessary to understand how to post on 4chan. If you're too much of a lazy faggot to read it, as others would say, lurk moar faggot.
https://www.4chan.org/faq
>>
>>59612335

Type, with the opposite facing arrows; <pepetext>
then whatever you wish to write.
>>
>>59611343
Just got back from a 3 day blue team competition. It's not a meme, at least if you study the right thing at the right place. They held a job fair after the last day of competition and the employers were practically throwing themselves at the students.
>>
File: tinfoil hat.jpg (14KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
tinfoil hat.jpg
14KB, 210x240px
>>59611343
If it's not a meme, you could just hack a bank and take all the money you want.

Think about it.
>>
>>59614458
Can someone purple pill me on this?
>>
>>59614458
>hack a bank

You can, you just need to know what the fuck your doing

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/01/business/dealbook/hackers-81-million-sneak-attack-on-world-banking.html
>>
>>59611343
>Tested using Gmail password strength meter
holy shit my sides
>>
Degrees in cyber are memes unless you are going into compliance or assurance.

I do security, but the kind I do they don't teach anywhere but like CMU or I think maybe RPI. I do binary exploitation and vulnerability research, which involves a lot of really low level knowledge and patience. But if you get good at it (read already can pwn kernels and write browser exploits) you can get some really well paying jobs. Mostly because so few people can do it, and there is a lot of jobs open for it.

Even if you don't want to be that "1337" you can still do pretty good with offensive red teaming/pentesting (read web app, network pen). Although that def doesn't pay as much as the low level stuff.

Moral of the story is play CTFs
>>
>>59615640
this lol
>>
>>59612226
in most cases it's a meme, cyber security firms are like insurance companies, make money from air
>>
>>59612226
That kind of cyber is only done by a few very talented individuals who are all working for either google or nation states.
>>
>>59615821
RIT has malware analysis and IDA debugging etc as a large portion of their security curriculum. I believe Purdue does as well these days.
>>
>>59615948
Do they do well in ctfs at all? I know some schools try to teach it, but a lot fail.
>>
College in general is a meme. Unless you go to the right schools your degree means shit.

Only brainlets go to school to learn.
>>
>>59612358
took me a picosecond. up your game, senpai
>>
>>59611501

>giving a shit university like DePaul money

wow ks faggot. This liberal piece of shit hell hole doesn't deserve you. Go somewhere else.

They hate free speech and you will learn more about gender pronouns and transphobia than cyber security.

IF you want to make fun of yourself go ahead though.
>>
>>59612249
>what??
>>
>>59611343
Am I being baited? That picture is the dumbest pile of shit I've ever seen.

"Unbreakable" is a fucking dictionary attack away? It only contains three different characters, for fuck sake.

"Professional" and "strong" 011235[...] is base 10? That isn't a strong fucking passwords.

deathknight55 is ridiculously vulnerable to dictionary attack, as is algoreisright and basically everything else on the list other than ncc1701 and maybe thx1138 on older word lists.

ncc1701 is very very vulnerable to brute force, even on my old laptop's Radeon.

Here are two examples of acceptable passwords:
Fe^4*;:'or"==1
䎉䜸楐??٦
>>
if my local shitty Community College is pushing for it,it's probably a meme. YoU'd probably just work at a bank as a IT guy with a cyber security background.
>>
>>59611343
You don't need college.

>Take your ccna and get a job.
>Get your company to pay for the ccna security then the ccie.
>Take the CEH exam.
>Work for the company for another 12 months and build out contacts
>Become consultant

You'll clear over 100k within 2 years without going into kneepad levels of debt.
>>
>>59616110
Why would you use short password, even if it contains random symbols?

What about something like that:
de,963JKopWD,8521

relatively easier to remember.
>inb4 lmao, use password manager

No thanks. -.-
>>
>>59611343
Cyber security officer in my office walks around changing passwords everyday on everything
Kinda annoying when he changes our servers and shit tbqh
>>
>>59611343
>making a password longer makes it harder to break
Woah
Gonna need some time to think about that
>>
>>59616281
>>inb4 lmao, use password manager
>No thanks. -.-
Well, if you want to cuck yourself, go ahead.
>>
>>59612362
Not OP, but mine does. We're a community college so we compete against 4 year uni teams. Clearly our team isn't counted on to do well, will the underdog effect help us if we do in fact do well?

Fellow cybersecurityfag here, I'm trying to mix in sysadmin courses as electives. What is one good thing to absolutely master before entering the job force as a security professional?
>>
>>59611343

>knowing how to defend without knowing how to attack

>being defined by a label without being everything and nothing
>>
>>59611343
Going to college for any type of tech degree is stupid.
>>
>>59617070
[citation needed]
>>
>>59614458
You could do that anyway with the zeta function. If that point comes around, current cybersecurity will be a meme, and we'll need to go quantum.
>>
>>59611343
Actually nobody gets hired without a degree unless they have skills upfront ( which most people claim they have if they are interested but actually lack a lot ).
Getting a degree and engaging in the community is a lot better than saying you have skills, get some CVEs on your name and engage in the community while getting your degree, attend conferences and join local hacker space.
Don't bother with CEH or CISSP if you aren't going into management, nonetheless those certs are dogshit.
If you want to be a pentester get OSCP.
Anyway you'll be disappointed at some point working in the information security business because of the bureaucracy of companies ( it's more fun to actually do your own research or finding vulnerabilities on your own than working for some multi billion company. )
>>
>>59611343
That chart can not be serious or real...
>>
>>59616523
>Clearly our team isn't counted on to do well, will the underdog effect help us if we do in fact do well?
In the Rocky Mountain regionals, you're graded on your performance rather than your expected performance. Do a good job and you'll get a good score.
>>
>>59611343
>abc123 is fair
Who made this shit? That is one of the worst passwords possible.
>>
>>59611343
Most people are trained into the role after years upon years of experience as a sysadmin or network admin.
>>
>>59611343
Computers are a meme. This whole cyber-war stuff is hilarious.

Fact is, the real world operates on military power. If you want job security, that is what you want. Anything remotely important is non-networked.
>>
>>59620635
Forgot to add, go into Weapons manufacturing
>>
>>59615976
They have been one of the top in CCDC for years now at least.
>>
>>59616110
>not just using a long sentence with punctuation, capitalization, and maybe a number or three
>>
>>59615982
>only brainlets go to school to learn
kek
>>
>>59611343
2017, not including special characters in p@$$\/\/0R|)
>>
>>59612226
>blows up
centrifuges were causing trouble because they would brake down
not blow up
shut up, you don't know what you're talking about
>>
>>59611343
It pays well and it's fun.
You need to focus on one area and stay updated as much as possible.
>>
>>59620688
CCDC LOL
Sorry, I don't count that as any indication of talent.
>>
>>59623712
yeah. the fact iran was using windows xp, let alone intel, in its nuclear program is hilarious.
>>
>>59624870
Basically saying, "We don't trust the US so we want our own nukes." "Except we trust them to use their chips and operating systems"

Autism.
>>
>>59624898
A simple firewall would stop it from calling home if that's your concern.
They would need physical access to the computers to do anything else so I don't see why not.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.