[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you make games using only C or do I really need to learn C++?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

Can you make games using only C or do I really need to learn C++?
>>
Yes

>Gets me every time
>>
>>59604619
You can make nothing with C only by yourself.
>>
>>59604619
you can make them using C, however i would not suggest doing it without some kind of utility library, the base C standard libraries are incredibly sparse compared to the C++ STL
>>
>>59604619
It is easier with C++, but you can use any language to make any application.
If you know C, learning C++ is not that difficult, just like learning any language isn't difficult once you know how to make programs.
>>
>>59604619
SDL.
>>
>>59604689
underrated
>>
>>59604638
>C++ STL
That's really no better either.

Just use Boost.
>>
>>59604619
If you really want to, you can make even in ASM. But C++ is best language for games.
>>
>>59604689
this.
>>59604619
Most rendering libraries used actually C libraries that you can use with C++ programs.
I am a fan of using data based architecture but games I think is the only valid excuse to use OOP So C++ would be nice by providing a OOP framework to work with.
>>
File: 1471111385635.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
1471111385635.png
98KB, 612x491px
>>59604619
Can you make games only using Java ?
>>
>>59607072
You can, but enjoy your pajeet-tier performance
>>
>>59604619
Trust me the only reasonable thing is to use unity. However if you really want to program it from scratch I would recommend reading Game Engine Architecture. And after you read that and realize building your own game engine isn't feasible in a reasonable amount of time. Go and learn how to use Unity. Unreal Engine may look enticing, but Unity is so much more flexible that it can't compete
>>
>>59604619
sure, you can make games in assembly too
>>
Rollercoaster Tycoon II was programmed in Assembly. You can write any arbitrary program in any Turing complete language.
>>
File: siedler_1.jpg (517KB, 703x545px) Image search: [Google]
siedler_1.jpg
517KB, 703x545px
>>59607257
this game was done by one guy in assembly
>>
>>59604689
++ SDL2 rules
>>
File: based.jpg (21KB, 191x264px) Image search: [Google]
based.jpg
21KB, 191x264px
>>59607677
this game as well...

when did the tech industry become shit with lazy people just importing modules
>>
>>59607072
what is Minecraft ?
>>
Can you make a game in C? Yes. Assuming you're doing everything in 2D, you can pretty much get all of your graphics, audio, and user input handling done with the SDL2 library, and everything else is just a matter of building all of the rules for how the game works.

That said, most game developers don't do this. Higher level languages like C++ a lot easier, as do pre-built game engines. One anon in here mentioned Unity, which is very flexible, and used in a lot of modern games, especially due to the fact that it runs on a LOT of platforms. It's proprietary, but you don't have to pay a thing for it if you make less than $100k a year, and if you do end up making more, it's a flat monthly fee instead of a royalty system, so if your game sells well, Unity won't be bleeding you dry. If you would nonetheless prefer an open source system, try Godot.
>>
>>59607677
man settlers 1 and 2 were so great
then they got all shitty from the 3rd game forward
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.