[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is this shit on my motherboard basically worthless? I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: 900x900px-LL-30e03885_Capture.png (512KB, 768x394px) Image search: [Google]
900x900px-LL-30e03885_Capture.png
512KB, 768x394px
So is this shit on my motherboard basically worthless? I can't find one device using SATA Express. What the fuck was the point?
>>
>>59593818
>So is this shit on my motherboard basically worthless?
It's backwards compatible, so you still have a bunch of SATA ports. It'd be as worthless as a USB3.0 port if you only have 2.0 devices.

>What the fuck was the point?
It was supposed to be the successor to SATA 3.0, but M.2 won this fight.
>>
File: 557e7b3bda5578.80526460.jpg (173KB, 700x530px) Image search: [Google]
557e7b3bda5578.80526460.jpg
173KB, 700x530px
that is one retarded cable
>>
File: laughing whore.jpg (47KB, 413x570px) Image search: [Google]
laughing whore.jpg
47KB, 413x570px
>his motherboard has less than two M.2 and U.2 ports
>>
>>59593818
Pretty much.

There's no need to use sata express with regular HDDs since they won't get over 6GB/s anyway.

m.2 slots on the other hand, are one of the most useful additions to motherboards in recent years.

There's no reason to use sata SSDs if you have m.2 slots.

5-10 times the speed.
No PSU power required.
No cabling.

Thus, there's no real reason anyone should choose to use sata express.
>>
>>59594536
I'm using the M.2. but I wanted to add another drive with the same speed. There's literally nothing that uses this shit. At least Intel has one stupid expensive drive that uses that equally shitty U.2. port.
>>
>>59594536
m.2 are a waste if you have extra empty PCI e slots anyway.
>>
wait, wtf, i don't follow tech like i used to so this sata 10 gb/s crap is new to me. looks like shit anyway. basically binding three sata 3 ports into two from how the cable looks. Now bringing 10 gb/s Ethernet to mass consumer levels would be sweet though. God, I've got like around 8-9TB of data atm. Right now it'd take like a week to do a full restore via gig ethernet.
>>
>>59594536
Regular SATA SSDs are cheaper. Slower but cheaper.
>>
>>59593818
SATA Express is a dead standard that achieved 0 adoption, so yes, it is worthless.
>>
>>59594365
>MOAR CABLES
>>
>>59594536
Not really useful, its really just a thinner form factor pcie x4, most motherboards have pciex4 they are not or never will use, and with the slim form factor, they can't put a heatsink on it from factory, so you get the honor of voiding the warranty on a 200-600$ part just to keep it cool enough to function, whereas if it was on a pcie port, you would have heat shrouds built onto it from factory because pcie is a standard size, while m.2 may have a foot of clearance or a millimeter at best.

Long and short, they fucked up on the standard.
>>
>>59596020
is the overheating such a big issues on m2 ssd? its the first time i've ever heard it mentioned
>>
>>59594536
no reason to use sata?

sata drives dont thermal throttle to lower speeds then sata
that speed means nothing when the controllers are shit (see 600p vs mx300 sata)
and replacing/adding new ones is a pain in the dick requiring you to rip your motherboard apart to get access

ir should have been a stick that instead of fitting horizontally, fit in like ram but sticking out on its end. better cooling that way.
>>
>>59596052
well samsung has 3500 read 2500 write that throttles to lower the sata when it gets hot, and if you use the drive, it's always hot, you get a few seconds of use before it fucking tanks hard.

Something just screams to me that I don't want my storage throttling on me, because that means it got hot enough to get into unsafe temperatures.

You need to glue heat sinks to it, or have fans directly blowing on it, but good luck with that where they placed the m.2 slots on most boards.
>>
>>59595748
shockingly faster in many cases, only samsung really makes m.2 that give pcie drives a run for their money.
>>
>>59593818
Yes, SATA Express was DOA. U.2 is a pretty rarely used standard as well, however it provides all the bandwidth benefits of M.2 while being a smaller connector than SATA Express and more importantly being much faster.
>>
>>59596108
>but good luck with that where they placed the m.2 slots on most boards.
>Gigabyte placed it right under the GPU on the Ryzen boards

JESUS FUCK WHY GIGABYTE

MY SM951 STILL HITS 90c WITH THREE HEATSINKS FUCK
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (220KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
220KB, 1920x1080px
>>59596052
Little pocket housefires
>>
>>59596133
M.2 drives can be exactly the same chips as pcie drives retard.
>>
>>59596184
It begs the question why the SSD manufacturers dont add a heatspreader to the drives so the heat can actually be dealt with.
>>
>>59596184
why aren't they putting heatsinks on them?
>>
>>59594485
no bully pls
>>
>>59595717
It's not really SATA 10 Gb/s, it's PCI-E NVM Frankensteined together with SATA, to create the monstrosity that is ESATA.

SAS 12 Gb/s already exists, I don't know why they didn't just upgrade SATA to 12 Gb/s as well, considering they're almost physically identical.
>>
>>59596226

Because on many motherboards the M.2 is tucked right between the PCI-E slots, so if the heat spreads is more than a couple millimeters tall (which it would have to be, to be useful in any way. It would potentially make contact with or just get in the way of PCI-E cards with large coolers, like GPUs.
>>
>>59593818
>"So is this shit on my motherboard basically worthless?"
Yes
>>
>>59593818
Yeah that got no adoption
>>
>>59596230
Because the formfactor was meant for laptops and motherboard manufacturers do stupid shit like >>59596170

Also just putting a plate on it like ram isn't enough and actually makes shit worse. You need shit like the pic

http://www.pcgamer.com/msis-m2-shield-shown-to-raise-ssd-temps-and-could-lead-to-throttling/
>>
File: tvWh8Pr.jpg (316KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
tvWh8Pr.jpg
316KB, 1600x900px
>>59596539
forgot pic
>>
>>59596407
True, but even a simple 1-2mm thick slab of metal with some ridging on the top for surface area would help immensely, as the heat can enter a mass of metal instead of trying to go straight into the atmosphere through a tiny surface.
>>
File: m2.jpg (54KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
m2.jpg
54KB, 620x620px
>>59596598
Didn't work when MSI tried to do it.

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2781-msi-m2-heat-shield-increases-temperatures
>>
>>59596676
Yeah, because it has to go through the sticker first. I'm talking about a permanently or semi-permanently attached heat plate with a proper thermal interface between the controller die and the heatplate.
>>
SATA Express is useless since nothing uses it, and m.2 is trash as well because the speed doesn't matter when it thermal throttles. Serious m.2 has to be the worst design standard ever in PC hardware, it's only useful in laptops because of the small form factor. PCI-e SSD is the best albeit expensive.
>>
>>59594801
Just plug it into the pcie slot
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.