[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convert me to Rust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: wololo.png (40KB, 511x250px) Image search: [Google]
wololo.png
40KB, 511x250px
What are some legitimate reasons to learn Rust when C++ or even Go exists?
>>
Stop creating these threads.
>>
>>59591702

Why eating apples, when oranges or peaches are a thing?

Go is nice for small and fast servers or some simple concurrency.

Rust is still pretty immature, I'm pretty sure it will have a bright future, but for the next two years there won't be any jobs.

C++ is battle proven and the de facto standard in some areas. Even if tomorrow nobody would make new C++ projects, there would still be a gorillion of legacy projects that want to get maintained.

So this is how you should do it:

1. Learn C. Even if you only work yourself through K&R in two months, it's worth it. Everybody knows C, it's so mandatory it's not even funny.

2. If you know C (not only the syntax, but have done some projects), you can learn Go in a few days. It's basically "C for noobs with concurrency included", but learning Go first will make C kinda difficult to understand for you. Also C is present for a lot of fields, while Go is pretty much centered about internet backends.

3. If you know C, then take a look at C++. Either you need it or you don't, the jobs are pretty clear for C++. It's a pretty big and complex language, but the basics are not that difficult. Just give it a shot and see if you like it.

4. Rust is more a thing for some side projects. If you are good in C (or better: in C++) and find a Rust job - good for you! But chances are that you might only use it for yourself for a long time. Nothing wrong with Rust, it's interesting and fresh, but not important yet. Industry moves slowly.

> tl;dr: learn them all, start with C
>>
File: download (14).png (5KB, 318x159px) Image search: [Google]
download (14).png
5KB, 318x159px
>>59591702
None. I've heard that its better than C in some aspects but that the community is the most toxic SJW infested thing in the entire internet
>>
>>59591962
I know C, Python, quite a bit of Golang, Asm, VHDL, quite a bit of C++, polyml,. Clisp, and Java. Rust seems quite intuitive so far, except for some notations. It's either Rust or Haskell now.
>>
>>59592729

That's a different story then..

Haskell and Rust are both worth learning, but for different reasons. They are totally different.

Haskell is one of the most beautiful languages out there, and of course it's functional. A totally different paradigm that will make you think about your code.

Rust is more like a nicer version of C++ without all that magic.

So the choice is more about:
You want to become a better, more well-rounded programmer? --> Haskell
You want to go close to metal and make high performance shit but you don't like C/C++ anymore? --> Rust
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.