[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should i bother learning lua?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: lua.gif (4KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
lua.gif
4KB, 128x128px
Should i bother learning lua?
>>
>>59591133
You don't learn LUA, you use it when you need it.
>>
>>59591133
It's a nice and simple language. If you already know how to program, you won't have to do much learning, so that's no problem.
But you shouldn't make it your main language that you use to program in.
>>
>>59591217
this
if you know any language, you know lua too
>>
for gmod addons dude
>>
Besides games what can you do with it?
>>
>>59592522
That's actually how I got into programming in the first place, years ago.
>>
>>59592623
ESP8266
>>
>>59592662
same
>>
>>59591452
Why not main language?
>>
>>59593051
NodeMCU sucks
>>
>>59593313
It's slow, doesn't have enough support and libraries.
>>
>>59593313
Lua was designed so that performance critical parts could be written in a different language (e.g. C). Calling Lua from C and back is really convenient.
And this is how Lua is meant to be used, in combination with a language like C. So ideally you should know some C as well, unless you're lucky and there's this one library that does exactly what you need that you only need to call once from Lua.
>>
>>59593479
Lua is not slow.

100% Lua codebases are difficult to maintain because the language is so simple. You don't get "true oop" or other stuff you're used to in most languages out of the box.There is nothing stopping you from doing it but the probability of it being a pain in the ass is high. Don't let me stop you though you may love it. I've personally never gone Lua only.

You could try writing a simple game using lua-sdl2 and seeing how you like using Lua only.

Typically its best for embedding in another application. I use Lua + D all the time and its a dream interfacing the two.
>>
>>59593641
I know lua, I have written at least one 20.000+ lines project in Lua, and several 1000+ line projects. It was in computercraft though, the mod that introduced me to programming. I have also used Love2D, and use it now for some IRC scripting, more specifically, autodl-irrsi replacemnt because I have not found any irrsi that works for W7.
>>
>>59591133
Lua is good, you are not. Treat Lua with the love and respect she deserves.
>>
>>59593641
Writing maintainable Lua is not hard, it just takes discipline, because nothing forces you to do things right.

It's not even hard to do namespaces: https://github.com/minexew/zeroDB/blob/master/AddOns/zeroDB/ui/ItemViewFrame.lua
>>
>>59593479
LuaJIT is nice.
>>
>>59592623
Rainmeter plugins.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.