[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Touch Typing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 17

File: KBUSA_WB_grande.png (257KB, 600x200px) Image search: [Google]
KBUSA_WB_grande.png
257KB, 600x200px
Do you touch type /g/?
Is it worth learning or just a meme?
>>
>>59585894
who doesn't?
it should be the minimum to post on /g/
>>
Isn't touch typing just not looking at your keyboard?

How can you not do this?
>>
>>59585894
It's useful but I've been working with so many sysadmins that do not really properly type but have mean knowledge.

I like it though
>>
>>59585894
I thought it was standard for everyone to do this at this point
>>
>>59585894
wait so you look at your keyboard every time you type a word?

how do you not know the layout by now?
>>
>>59585894
Touch typing is definitely the way to go.
>>
>>59585933
The alphabets are the easy ones. The hard part comes while typing symbols.
>>
>>59585894
If you use a computer and your fingers can't remember the position of the keys on your keyboard after a while, you're probably mentally retarded.
>>
>>59585955
There are ones who spend time remembering position of keys and the ones who who actually fucking concentrate on the program you dimwit fucktit.
>>
>>59585966
Touch typing is like focussing on the writing while writing a novel. A complete fucking stupid idea.
>>
I know where to find each key but keep missing the keys if I don't look at them. Usually I'll hit between two keys and get what I didn't want.

I think I only know the area of the keyboard where I should look for a specific key but not the exact position of it.

How can I learn ?
>>
>>59585894
I learned the touch typing by taking typing classes. Only thing I lack is the symbols and numbers (laptop without the numpad)
>>
>>59585894
How can you not? Even jumping to different keyboard layouts in different languages I don't know I can manage to touch type slowly after a week or so.
>>
I learned touch typing by looking at my keys. Eventually everything worked itself out.
>>
>>59585980
The thing about MEMORY is that you don't need to constantly think about the information, it's just knowledge in the background that doesn't require any of your attention to keep in mind.
>>
>>59585966
you don't really spend time remembering. If you use your keyboard for several hours a day your fingers will do it automatically.
>>
Do people even do homerow typing anymore? I just use my index and middle fingers mostly.
>>
I just stopped having to look at the keys after using a computer for a few years. Probably helped that I had access to one ever since I was a toddler.
>>
>>59586186
This. Still don't quite understand how they expected you to use the rest of the hand.
>>
I think this whole thread is just a complete troll. You people can't be this clueless, come on.
>>
>>59585980
quite opposite. when you are like typing something, your energy is wasted on seeking the keys and typing. With touch typing it's in your muscle memory. You think and your hands will automatically type it. No effort required.
>>
>>59586128
>paying to learn typing
>>
>>59585894

If you do anything for work that requires a keyboard it is essential. Only takes a couple hours for a few days using one of the many free websites and you will save you so much time in the long run.
>>
>>59586343
Worth it
>>
>>59585917
I don't think they teach it in schools anymore. Most kids I see just graduating from college are hunt and peck types, even (especially) the "I'm a smart computer geek" /g/ aspies.

Kids today can't even spell or capitalize properly, let alone use punctuation.
>>59585925
No, they just mash their fat grubby fingers on a phone screen and pick from the predictive typing menu. It's why posts more than 2 or 3 sentences (or with statistically improbable phrases) are usually met with a bunch of replies like "is this pasta?"

The idea that anyone could actually type something coherent and original is beyond the comprehension of millennials.
>>
help /g/ I'm a semi-fast touch typist but I use mostly 2 fingers to type, basically 80% two index fingers. How do I get over this
>>
you dont have to train or anything. just use your computer everyday. start writing a diary for example.

i have been using keyboard 5+ hours for more than 20 years now. dont remember ever looking at the damn keyboard.

this is not a skill, this is not something that makes you better. this is a must.
>>
File: 253154v1_jpg_39547b.jpg (26KB, 568x413px) Image search: [Google]
253154v1_jpg_39547b.jpg
26KB, 568x413px
>>59586389
this is very accurate
>>
>>59586398
start over.

it's just a bad habit you need to break
>>
>>59586398
check your words per minute. if its high then you dont have to do anything
>>
>>59586413
>bad habit
How come?
>>
>>59585894
It just comes naturally bro, i became quite used to keyboard after hanging out in chat rooms,
>>
>>59586398
>>59586443

Because your standard of "semi-fast" is at best half the speed of an average touch typist

Most people here are probably 100wpm+
>>
>>59586443
using more fingers means you'll improve speed and efficiency

you'll notice the difference once you start using them all: if you try to use only the index fingers again, you'll feel like tossing your PC out the window.
>>
http://www.rapidtyping.com/

download, do 10-20mins per day

2 weeks tops, you're a touch typist.
>>
>>59586472
>>59586460
I see. As of now I don't feel the need to go blazing fast typing in uni, but it'll help somewhat when taking down notes of a professor who goes way too fast
Any online resources I can use to help, aside from the post above mine?
>>
>>59586503
I samefagged that post, you won't need anything else pretty much

Keep in mind not to do hours and hours of training per day, that'll be frustrating and will yield 0 results. Literally 30min limit with small breaks in between each exercise.

The most you'll need in addition to the software above is maybe some typing exercise websites, use google or something, there's a ton of 'em.
>>
>>59585966
> typing fast and efficiently
> programming
> not enough brainpower to do both simultaneously

whew, lad
>>
>>59586606
>whew
>h
>lul brianpwore
>>
If you had to go out of your way to "learn" how to type with out staring at the keyboard you do not belong on this board, or site. I got my first computer way later than any of my friends because my dad was a drug addict at 12 years old. I could touch type by 14? I think
>>
>>59586670
>my dad was a drug addict at 12 years old
Damn that's rough
>>
>>59585894
Do people actually look at their keyboards to type?
>>
>>59586186
>>59586206
This has to be bait
>>
>>59586387
actually its not
>>
>>59586824
go back to facebook, chicken pecker
>>
i learned to touch type by playing games, gotta type fast in those for the bants
>>
>>59586876
>he didnt learn to type just from being on a fucking computer
>he learned to type from paying a man to teach him what he could learn on his own and with a few webpages
>>
>>59586902
Which games do you play?
>>
>>59586926
you do realize all necessary resources for learning how to touch type are free
>>
>>59586959
yes, thats my entire point
he payed some guy to teach him what he can learn for free
>>
>>59586979
so? did he spend your money? oh wait you don't have any you fucking neet

he's helping someone pay for their family
>>
>>59585980
Stupid nigger
>>
Depends.

Does touch typing mean I can type without looking at the keyboard? If so, yeah. I have for many, many years.

Does touch typing mean using the home row and every finger? Then hell no. I tried so many times I just can't do it properly. It takes me a year to learn how to type fast while using capital letters.
>>
>>59586926
>>59586997
both are wrong
>learned to type from paying a man
>a man
>implying tutor is always a man
do you get it now?
>>
>>59586389
does it count as touch typing if I only use 2/3 fingers on each hand but can type accurately without looking at the keyboard at all?
>>
>>59585894
100% worth learning. It makes using a computer a much nicer experience.

My keyboard is blank. I already knew how to touch-type when I got it, but getting a blank keyboard definitely improved my skills a little, in that it finally forced me to really learn the numbers. I'm still a little less accurate with the numbers and the shift-numbers (!, @, %, etc.) but I get along OK now.

Make sure you start out with a mechanical keyboard from the beginning so you don't get in the habit of bottoming your your keys like I did. It's a hard habit to shake.
>>
>>59585894
You are a fucking faggot if you don't "touch type".

Who can't do this, I thought people would do this naturally, I haven't attempted "learning" it, it's natural for me
>>
I've been shitposting since I got my first computer, across multiple boards and forums and online video games. Touch typing came naturally. I didn't have to "learn" it. Learn by doing.
>>
File: wpm.png (89KB, 555x504px) Image search: [Google]
wpm.png
89KB, 555x504px
http://www.typingtest.com/
post your wpm niggers
>>
>>59589326

But most likely you learned it wrong.

Think that should be really taught is schools these days. It's really hard to get it right after using "self taught" system for too long.

For example I'm typing with three fingers on the right hand and one finger on the left + dedicated finger for space and shift. What a waste.
>>
File: Untitled.png (57KB, 441x406px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
57KB, 441x406px
>>59589364
>>
>>59589440
Wrong according to whomst?
>>
File: BRzqLz7.png (52KB, 432x348px) Image search: [Google]
BRzqLz7.png
52KB, 432x348px
>>59589445
REEEEEE

I type a lot fast when I think what to type in my head, as I can prepare my hands on where to go better. I learned typing by practice.
>>
File: untitled.png (64KB, 466x394px) Image search: [Google]
untitled.png
64KB, 466x394px
>>59589445

Typin' like a pro :v
>>
>>59585981
See how the F and J keys (and numpad 5) have tactile features? That's so you can find the home row without looking. By default, you leave your hands there, with your left and right index fingers on those two keys respectively. After that, it's just practice until you know where every other key is without looking.
>>
If you're on /g/ and can't touch type at at least 120 WPM then you should get off the board.
>>
File: sorry g.png (58KB, 448x422px) Image search: [Google]
sorry g.png
58KB, 448x422px
>>59589364
My hands hurt.
>>
I grew up in a country ass town in the middle of nowhere Texas and we had a computer lab with like 30 old pieces of shit. Typing classes were still mandatory here starting in like 3rd grade. It blows my mind that people today can't touch type.
>>
>>59585980
>Touch typing is like focussing on the writing while writing a novel. A complete fucking stupid idea.

no it's like riding a bicycle, if you get good at riding it you no longer have to think "balance balance balance" all the time, you think about where you are going and the best way to avoid obsticals and your body just moves the bike for you without thinking about how to actually keep balance, same thing with typing, I can just start thinking words and my fingers start typing them out without conscious thought
>>
>>59586389
>No, they just mash their fat grubby fingers on a phone screen and pick from the predictive typing menu.
this is what amazes me about touchscreen cancer the most. its bad enough that its inherently not touch typing but also that its just spamming in a general direction and letting the botnet AI handle the rest. its the equivalent to if we just lazily slurred all our words and put the work onto an AI to translate it into something sensible.

when the fuck are we going to get real smartphones?
>>
>>59589214
>bottoming your keys
?
>>
>>59590018
Pushing your keys all the way down until they actually hit the bottom. It's bad for your fingers.
>>
>>59589780
120wpm, jesus christ
I can do 70-75 on one of those online tests
>>
>>59589603
>>59589445
>>59589364
like a little baby
>>
>>59585980
>>59585966
Holy shit, do you forget to breathe?
>>
>>59585894
>not being able to type a complete sentence without looking at the keyboard once
>>
>>59585946
It comes with use. We can spot the nonprogrammer memers.
>>
>>59585966
I don't even think about it, man. I know what I want to write and my hands just do it on their own. 100% muscle memory.
>>
>>59589603
>35 wpm
Are you fucking serious
how can you even tolerate using a computer that slowly
>>
>>59590225
What site is that?
>>
>>59590256
>>
>>59590233
like I said, when not typing some random text I have to read and type at the same time I type a lot faster.
I'll do an approximate test in writer now.
>>59590256
>>
>>59590267
How long do you spend thinking about what you're going to type? You really can't type as fast or almost as fast as you read? When I took the test I broke it up into chunks and typed out the chunk while I was reading the next chunk. Should come naturally.
>>
File: Capture_type.png (55KB, 444x421px) Image search: [Google]
Capture_type.png
55KB, 444x421px
Don't worry OP touch typing is not required for programming, just like object oriented programming is not required
>>
>>59590293
I don't consciously think about what I'm going to type (in terms of which keys to press and which fingers to move). It's subconscious/reflex/muscle memory/whatever at this point. I even correct mistakes without really thinking about it.
>>
>>59590329
That sounds about right.
>>
>>59590267
Approximate test when typing a text I knew not 100%, and with some thinking time I got 64 words in a minute.

>>59590293
I like to have thought out what I'm going to type on a sentence, or when programming on a chunk basis.

Even though I don't really think about how my fingers are moving I guess it helps sub-consiously.

I have next two weeks planned for searching a typing test that I can take to make me stop using my self taught typing technique, as it's horrible.

>>59590329
not_me.jpeg
>>
File: Typing Speed.png (103KB, 566x513px) Image search: [Google]
Typing Speed.png
103KB, 566x513px
That's the best I can do, anons.

My ex-gf said she could type like a hundred words per minute but I think she was full of fucking shit.
>>
>>59585966
>There are people who spend time remembering the position of the pedals instead of actually driving lmao fucking dimwits amirite
>>
>>59590400
Women tend to overestimate things that don't really matter if it sounds good.
>>
File: wpm.png (72KB, 460x419px) Image search: [Google]
wpm.png
72KB, 460x419px
>>59589364
>typelet
feels bad man
>>
>>59590405
Wait.

Are you saying you have to consciously think about which pedal to press in order to accelerate or brake?

I hope you literally started driving today.
>>
>>59590400
250 WPM is easily possible for a professional secretary.
>>
>>59585894
Let's do the math anon:
No touch typing:
>average speed is 30 wpm
>to type down 300 words it will need you on the very lest 10 minutes

Touch typing:
>After two months you will reach 60 wpm
>after six months you will reach 70 wpm
> typing down 300 words will take less than 5 minutes
>you are literally saving 50% of your time

Stop being a pleb and learn to touch type, it is not that much of an effort to do so anyway.
>>
File: typingtest.png (131KB, 844x419px) Image search: [Google]
typingtest.png
131KB, 844x419px
Got a perfect score.
>>
>>59586460
>Most people here are probably 100wpm+
teach me your ways senpai, I have been touch typing (ten finger typing i learned the proper layout) and I can't break the 100 WPM barrier, I am currently at around 85-90 WPM.
>>
>>59590497
I just don't understand how it requires "learning" unless seriously bad and deep rooted habits need to be ripped out of the muscle memory. If you are shitposting anywhere frequently enough it should just come to you.
>>
>>59590546
Get a keyboard you're comfortable with.

Traditional keyboards are uncomfy for me, I now use a split one.
>>
>>59590546
teach me too, my average is around 70.
>>
>>59590566
No, it requires learning a certain layout. It is like exercising, you can left heavy weights with poor form but you will never progress anywhere if you keep that form. You can only make serious gains by fixing your form. Proper touch typing requires you to use all your ten fingers to type. I dare you to show me anyone typing +100 WPM or even +70WPM with only two fingers or with improper methodology.
>>
>>59586485
Thanks anon.
>>
>>59590675
Ah, I see what you meant now. Makes sense. my high school actually had a typing class all eighth graders had to take and I learn proper form there, but I had been shitposting hardcore since before then.
>>
>>59590583
I already have a cherry red keyboard, it did improve my typing speed and greatly reduced my typing fatigue thanks to soft keys but I still can't break 100WPM. But a split one does sound comfy. Thanks senpai
>>
>>59590695
My high school had a typing class too but the professor never bothered to teach us anything. I got fascinated with it and learned it on my own using the internet. I reached 60 WPM in two months tops. It is the best thing I ever learned, helped me tremendously in college, I can finish great amount of workloads in a fraction of the time it takes the other normies to finish.
>>
>>59590697
No probs. Try to find one to try out first before buying, they tend to be expensive.
>>
>>59590733
>high school typing class
>professor
>>
>>59585894
Are you fucking kidding me? How old are you?
>>
>>59590747
you got me right there :) . I got used to saying professor, currently taking a masters.
>>
>>59586389
>Predictive typing

Ironically it's because parents raise their children on smart phones and not on desktops. I shit you not I knew someone last year, who was 17 years old and mentioned he has never used a desktop computer before. He had only used a tablet and smartphone. All he does is use predictive typing and it is bad too the point of lazy sometimes.
>>
>>59586399
Exactly if you can play video games without looking at a controller you can type on a keyboard its all hand and eye coordination.
>>
>>59590912
Touch typing came really quickly to me
It's almost painful sometimes watching someone who can't touch type
>>
>>59585894
I average 90 wpm. I don't peck hunt but I don't properly touch type either. Is it worth learning how to do it properly?
>>
>>59586389
is this pasta?
>>
>>59586485
did this just now for about 20 minutes, hands hurt like a motherfucker, especially my right hand-arm connection (sorry don't know name). What do?
>>
>>59591286
Your wrist?

If you're getting pain like that, STOP. Carpal tunnel/RSI is no joke.
>>
>>59591321
yeah, wrist is the name -_-

I did indeed stop, but what the fuck am I doing wrong, I have my fingers on the asdf jkl; keys?

now looking up how I might change that online
>>
>>59591359
asdf and jkl; are the correct positions for the fingers.

It could be any number of things: your posture, the angle of your hands, the angle of your forearms, etc. you should probably consult a professional.
>>
if you don't know how to touch type you should learn.

I learned when I was 12. There's a correct way to type, and if you're not using it, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>59591408
so, In about a month I should be getting a ball-mouse, so I don't need to move my wrist when moving the mouse. But I'm still scared about typing like I 'should', as when typing like I taught it myself, I never get that pain.
>>
File: logitech-trackman-marble-4.jpg (43KB, 570x570px) Image search: [Google]
logitech-trackman-marble-4.jpg
43KB, 570x570px
>>59591621
>a ball-mouse
Just so I'm clear: do you mean something like this? Good plan: I used to get wrist pain from using a mouse, but using one of those instead stopped it.
>>
>>59591711
yeah, I mean such a mouse indeed, not one of those old ones with the ball below, it's been a long time since using that.

since I'm a bit long (198CM) my arms are too long to hang from my shoulders when my chair is in it's highest position above my desk. Do you have any idea how I can fix that?
>>
Yeah, I touch type, but I don't use 10 fingers + don't have a "system" for typing. I've just ended up typing like this through typing a lot. I type at about 100 wpm so I don't see any reason to try to improve.

>>59585946
Well yeah, obviously you won't always get the rarer symbols right on the first try.
>>
>>59591762
Can your desk be lowered at all? Could you try putting some sort of booster cushion on your chair?
>>
WAIT this thread isn't satire
>>
I type with seven fingers. It's a bit odd i know, but it works as I type at 100-120 WPM
>>
>>59591859
No this is the circlejerk. Welcome.
>>
>>59591786
hmm, I just checked, desk now lowered about 2CM, but still not enough.

I grabbed a pillow. This actually makes my elbows be about 2 cm higher then my desk. This types kinda comfy, and does not result in pain in my right hand, I do feel more pressure in my shoulder compared to regularly, but that might be because of my new position.
>>
>>59591904
I suppose you could try returning the desk to its original height, that way your elbows would be just about level with the desk when sitting on the pillow.
>>
>>59591971
ow fuck, this is real good, I indeed did my desk up a little, and moved my keyboard a bit away from me like http://www.wikihow.com/Sit-at-a-Computer said. And it really improved the pains
>>
>>59585894
I touch type, but I never properly learned to type from the home row.

I'm currently kind of trying to learn home row typing, but it doesn't feel completely logical. Hitting C with my middle finger? Seems more comfortable to do it with my index finger...
>>
>>59592133
Great stuff, anon. Just be careful and make sure the pain doesn't come back.
>>
>>59592271
yep, Thanks anon
>>
File: C8NCxSe.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
C8NCxSe.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>59585894
Not only can I touch type, but I can touch type in Colemak and QWERTY, including all the numbers and symbols
>>
>>59585894
why would it be a meme? what is meme worthy in not typing like a fag
>>
I can touch type. Who the fuck can't?
Would be like playing a videogame and needing to look down at the controller every time you want to do something.

Your touch typing skills are really challenged when you end up in a situation where you have to use a foreign keyboard. Seeing how long it takes your mind to adjust is interesting.
>>
File: freestyle-2-20-inch-750x500.jpg (51KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
freestyle-2-20-inch-750x500.jpg
51KB, 750x500px
>>59592369
>>
>>59592444
>Seeing how long it takes your mind to adjust is interesting.
Yeah, though it isn't a problem that could be fixed just by looking at the keyboard. And the biggest problems are usually like, if the ctrl key is places differently or something.

If I go from exclusively chiclet to a more traditional one, I may end up simply making more typos. Same if I change the switch type I use in a radical way (god damn the first time I got a Topre keyboard, I made a shitload of typos since it was so light)
>>
File: 1373334964203.jpg (55KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1373334964203.jpg
55KB, 640x480px
Are you guys telling me that I've been posting on a chinese cartoon image board with a bunch of autists who can't even touch type?

What's next, programmers who don't know anything about computer hardware?
>>
>>59592569
>What's next, programmers who don't know anything about computer hardware?
I'm pretty sure that's mostly the standard.
>>
>>59592569
most programmers I have met don't know shit about computer hardware, it's sad really.
>>
>>59592811
99% of people using a computer don't know shit about computer hardware, you're asking too much for regular code-monkey. Maybe if they were an embedded guy or super senior architect, it would make sense.

if knowing computer hardware was requirement for getting a job with computers, they should start by firing the worst offenders of it first, ie human resources and other paper-pushing retards.

computer programmers already have some dumb high standards for entry, while the pay is not that great, and you're still under the finger of some MBA asshole manager that probably didn't even pass calculus 2.
>>
>>59585894
I used to be obsessed with typing speed. But in the end, it really doesn't matter unless you're a stenographer.
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.