[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cloning 2 HDD's to new SSD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I just got a 250 GB ssd and would like to subtitute two 160GB HDD's with this new one.

The thing is that the manufacturer's clone software won't see the Ubuntu partition, so I'm left with using Clonezilla or something similar.

Have any of you guys some experience with this? I don't know where to start. Partitions are filled at about 50% so the used space is well under the SSD 250GB limit.

My major concern is not screwing up the boot info. I would most likely have to edit GRUB afterwards but as long as I can boot up again into Ubuntu that doesn't worry me too much.
>>
>>59584222
>make an ubuntu USB
>boot into live instance
>copy partitions to new drive
>install grub into new drive
>done
>>
>>59584222
"Cloning" would have to include the empty space, so no, you can't clone this shit.
Just install on the new drive and copy your data.
>>
>>59584277
do this, just use gparted or whatever to shrink and copy the partitions.
>>
do yall actually have any reason to use grub?
I just end up using UEFI stubs and use my motherboard bootloader.
>>
>>59584349
wait what... a default mobo firmware knows how to boot into linux?
>>
>>59584322
wrong
>>59584222
there is utility i used many times to clone from whatever the fuck you want to whatever the fuck you want, utility called ghost.
you can find it in (Hirens Boot DVD 15.2 Restored Edition)
>>
>>59584367
basically EFImanager adds an entry into the motherboard EFI where the kernel is located on /boot

It's the same thing does grub when you do grub-setup, it adds itself to the efi
>>
>>59584412
interesting so the linux kernel and initrd are configured into a mobo's efi config file...

times sure have changed....
>>
>>59584277
what software would I need to use in the live session? gParted?

and how would I set up grub afterwards? my understanding is that I would just have to edit it for it to point towards the new location of the Win partition

I'm also on the fence about re-isntalling Ubuntu and just copying /home because some retard memed me into allocating only 20 GB to / and I'm always running out of space. Could I expand / with some tool?

>>59584349
pls elaborate. would this allow me to choose with OS I want to boot into?
>>
maybe I didn't make myself clear. One HDD has Windows 7 and the other Ubuntu. I want to transfer the dual boot into one single SSD drive.
>>
>>59584461
>what software would I need to use in the live session? gParted?
yes gParted should be fine

>and how would I set up grub afterwards? my understanding is that I would just have to edit it for it to point towards the new location of the Win partition

that's updating the grub entries once grub is installed. You can choose where to install grub

example:
ubuntu root (linux) partition on HD is in /dev/sdb5 for the new drive and we want that drive's MBR to have GRUB

sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdb

warning - BIOS and UEFI are different, do your research... if UEFI, you need to install grub to where your mobo will check for EFI files

>I'm also on the fence about re-isntalling Ubuntu and just copying /home because some retard memed me into allocating only 20 GB to / and I'm always running out of space. Could I expand / with some tool?

yes, gParted
>>
>>59584525
Ok thanks anon.
I will leave messing with UEFI for now. System boot-up is a tad quicker already moving from Award to UEFI bios (had to update for a cpu upgrade) even with the HDDs.
Besides, with just one drive I could set it up as a boot drive and be done with it. I think the HDDs (other two I have for my data) spinning on POST are slowing things up, but whatever.

also, would you set up /home in the SSD? I've read different opinions on the issue.
>>
>>59584603
It really depends on what you want anon...

you really have 2 options...

>copy 2 drives to 1 bigger drive, there's already a working ubuntu install.

In this case you copy over that ubuntu partition to the new drive, resize it, and install grub on the new drive with home the partition in the new drive

>clean install ubuntu in the new drive, copy over the files

The latter option is cleaner since it's just a new install with data being migrated over... The first option if you want to preserves all your different partitions (ie having an exclusive partition for work stuff and 'work' stuff, you'll have to recreate those if you don't go with the copy option.)
>>
>>59584662
I will have to give it some thought, yeah. Thanks a bunch!
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.