[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/. I have to teach a 61 year old relative how to use the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 1348762731033.gif (2MB, 320x244px) Image search: [Google]
1348762731033.gif
2MB, 320x244px
Hey /g/. I have to teach a 61 year old relative how to use the computer. He at least has a few days experience of it apparently.

So I showed him how to open a folder on the desktop and a file inside that folder.

He outright told me he could not understand what I just did.

How fucked am I?
>>
Okay, you win. I thought I had it bad when my father had me "teach" him. I told him to close a window because we didn't need it, and he asked me how. But you sir, you're a whole new kind of fucked.
>>
>>59583718
why do you have to? if you don't, what happens then?

sounds like an impossible task if you ask me
>>
>>59583718
people of his generation are used to being hit while learning so you need to take a stick and hit his hands everytime he doesn't understand.
>>
>>59583973
>>
>>59583718
Just walk away. Or request money.
>>
RMS is 64. Being old is not an excuse.
>>
>>59583718
Non-spatialness.

Get a mac, you can enable it over there. Or maybe teach him the real directory concept - install plan 9 or something.
>>
>>59584726
He can't even install GNU/Linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umQL37AC_YM
>>
>>59583718
Some people have trouble visualizing it. Best way would be to explain that folders are a way of organizing files and they are organised hierarchically. If he still doesn't understand draw it out for him.
>>
>>59583718

Draw block diagram of using typical OS (use atomic tasks, do not teach him multitasking).

Explain him UI primitives and how you recognize them in UI.
>>
>>59584764
jordan pls
>>
>>59584853
>Some people have trouble visualizing it
Because it's meant to be a skeumorphic sort of deal where you're like oh I store files in folders makes sense but in reality the analogy isn't perfect because what retard stores folders inside folders?
>>
>>59583973
This, he just isn't motivated
>>
>>59584877
Folders in folders was a thing way before the first computer. People stored files in Manila folders inside larger files, into boxes and those can be sorted with a filing system.
Computers can just be more complicated
>>
Give him a babby-tier tablet such as iPad.
>>
He doesn't understand the abstraction.
Maybe take a shoe box put something inside and tell him double clicking the folder is the same as opening the box
>>
Leave him in a locked room with the thing and give him a list of stuff to bring back to you when he's done.
>>
>>59585226
Two shoestrings, a tuft of rat hair, some dryer lint, and a dry erase marker.

If he doesn't come back with these things, he has failed.
>>
>>59585251
I meant from the web or atleast a screen shot of simething but you can make him order that shit from Amazon and make him turn in the print
>>
My mom doesn't know the difference between click and enter and she just bought herself a laptop. I win.
>>
>>59583718
Grab a folder and show him how it works in real life
>>
>>59583718
Carefully walk him through the gentoo installation process
>>
>>59587205
my mom believes if you minimize windows they are gone forever and the files deleted
>>
>>59583718
Give the book Windows {insert version} for dummies.

Worked for my mom.
>Until she got a smartphone and need to make a playlist for choir practice.
>>
>>59585251
kekd.
>>
Explain everything with an analogue from a 60s office.
Instead of a filesystem and folders you have cabinets and folders and files inside them.
instead of a word processor you have a typewriter
instead of email you have a letterbox
The failing is with your intellect not being flexible enough
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.