[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a better programmer /g/? I want my skill to go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 564561641654.jpg (126KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
564561641654.jpg
126KB, 500x500px
How do I become a better programmer /g/? I want my skill to go to the next level.

I know C/C++, Java, and Python.
I know basic data structures.
But I can't implement algorithms for the life of me without a guide. I also can't think of corner cases for unit tests for the life of me... I go by the expected feature, some twist in the input like lingering '/n' or str/int but that's it...

"Just code" ain't exactly teaching me best practices
>>
>>59583163
Ever tried reading any literature on the subject?
>>
>>59583163
Read other projects. Looking at code is the best way to learn for me personally.
>>
>>59583175
I read a book on Design Patterns for Python... but that's less algorithms and more of
"instead of using `for loops` try `for item in list`

any recommendations?

>>59583191
Problem is... there's very little projects I'm interested in contributing... I got into programming because I loved problem solving... but there's too many projects I feel like "what's the point in this repo?"
>>
>>59583163
Software design and architecture is a separate skill from "just programming." On top of that you'll want your algo skills at top tier.
>>
being a good programmer is a meme. make thinks that work, and do things.

create something and you'll quickly figure out what is important. unit testing/data structures are empathized so heavily because that's what google tests for in their interviews.
>>
>>59583223
I hear this is good. I'm now learning about error-correction techniques in data transmissions. But when I get round to it, I'll dig it. Try it.

mimoza.marmara.edu.tr/~msakalli/cse706.../SkienaTheAlgorithmDesignManual.pdf
>>
>>59583228
So how do I git gud at software design and architecture? Any good books or sites?

>>59583231
Actually an ex-googler, the Valley just burned me out... too many people in the industry thinking their top shit when their work does nothing to contribute to the industry or the world.

I see a bunch of start ups with openings and when I see their mission, I can't help but think "how will you make money from that?"

I guess that links to my cynicism on contributing to open source projects

>>59583273
working path:
~msakalli/cse706_12/SkienaTheAlgorithmDesignManual.pdf

well that's somewhere to get started. But at ~800 pages of diagrams and math. I'm not too sure if I read this for fun...
>>
>>59583365
Carpet nuking California would greatly improve our world
>>
>>59583365
I dunno about "good" books, I read the OOP design book once like a decade ago. Sat through a lot of UML planning bullshit too. There's probly better stuff around nowadays.
>>
Bumping for more expert advice, on how to go from knowing programming to being a programmer
>>
Read CLRS
>>
File: 1490477867424.jpg (239KB, 606x855px) Image search: [Google]
1490477867424.jpg
239KB, 606x855px
>>
File: 1453403945011.jpg (48KB, 469x505px) Image search: [Google]
1453403945011.jpg
48KB, 469x505px
>>59583464
holy crap CLRS! I remember my mentor let be borrow that book when I started working.

I couldn't understand shit and I realized my BS in EECS means NOTHING.

Anything I have to read beforehand?
>>
>>59583497
>CS without having read CLRS
what kind of meme degree is this?
>>
>>59583561
Embedded Systems never really required algorithms, was concerned more with bus design, communications, and PCB printing

I highly doubt bootcamps require CLRS, and those fuckers rule the industry right now
>>
The thing is, a lot of programming has nothing to do with programming languages.
There is only a handful of different algorithm archetypes, learn them, implement them and it gets easier.
Follow a good structured book is also a good help.
Maybe pick one on the subject you actually care about instead of one of those that feature the language in the title. Try removing the language name and then ask yourself if you want to read it.
>>
>>59583576
Boot camps....
Empowering idiots. These things make it incredible difficult to hire a good programmer.
>>
>>59583231
>because google

Whatis your problem turd?
>>
>>59583607
>Follow a good structured book
Trying to get a list going anon.... so far we got 2... one of them being CLRS
>>
>>59583163
find 3117 coders on github
read their code
>>
>>59583826
Even like a stream of someone laying out a project might be helpful, moreso than raw code if they describe why and how they're setting it up in a certain way.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.