[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Windows Defender any good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: windowsdefender.png (30KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
windowsdefender.png
30KB, 256x256px
Is Windows Defender any good?
>>
The best firewall is common sense.
>>
>>59582823
The best memer is the idiot who doesn't know shit about what hes typing out.
>>
>>59582818
Enterprise grade antivirus is about 12 percent effective.
Windows Defender is not enterprise grade.
>>
>>59582818

It's like a cheap gas station condom

You could do better but it can get the job done
>>
>>59582925
>falling for enterprise antivirus meme
windows defender is good enough
>>
>>59582818
It's good enough, and it doesn't bloat your system like some others. People will cite studies were it's 95% effective vs some other 3rd party that's 99%, but that's overkill for most people. They won't need that extra 4% like how most people won't need Vaccination 4B91-G each year to protect against the Bunga Bunga virus only located is North Zimbabwia.
>>
only if you like putting microsoft spyware on top of microsoft spyware
>>
>>59583208
The strain defender is putting on your system is divided into many other processes. It's hardly any less bloated than anything else on the market.
>>
>>59582910
>fallacy fallacy
>>
>>59582818
Download Tiny Wall and it is
>>
>>59582818
It will never detect QWERTY.

>inb4 whitelists
>>
>>59582910
and what use is a software firewall pray tell?
>>
>>59582818
>using any signature-based security software
this is fucking 2017

>AppGuard
>VoodooShield
>Sandboxie
>Comodo Firewall
>Common sense
pick
>>
>>59583208
laughed out loud
>>
>>59582818
It false-positives literally anything Microsoft doesn't want on your computer, including benign 3rd party software that does something such as disable Windows spyware shit. It's not even an antivirus, it's more effective at catching and removing Windows unlocking tools (without your consent, btw) than viruses.
>>
It's good for being free, and probably slows your PC down least of the free ones
>>
File: Untitled.png (145KB, 1393x1315px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
145KB, 1393x1315px
>>59582818
Yes, as long as you enable this option in GPedit
>>
>>59582818
It's okay but Avast with periodic scans by Malwarebytes is better desu
>>
>>59582818

The best windows defender is not to use windows.
>>
>>59586826
it does fuck all, ms probably arent allowed to include MSE because of anti monopoly laws so you get this crap (it used to do something years ago, nice tray icon though)
>>
ny antivirus software is useless and a waste of resources and time.
>>
>>59582818
Use what comes with your version of windows.

Backup your data regularly.

Learn how idiots get malware on their computers. Don't do those things.
>>
>>59587245
hi cryptolocker
>>
>>59587292
Only if you are retarded, in which case you don't deserve to own a computer in the first place.
>>
>>59587287
Pretty much.

Set my mom up on Windows 10, took away her admin (as usual), but she still gets shit that crops up and installs to her appdata folder and runs anyway.

Any advice on those?
>>
>>59587686
Block known malware spreading websites through hosts file.
>>
only if you have a few other 3rd party anti-shit programs

I have:
Malwarebyte
Microsoft Security Essential (live protection, it's enough for me and it's better than Defender imho)
Adwcleaner
tdsskiller
rkill
Emisoft Emergency Kit Scanner
RogueKiller
HitmanPro

with Driver Booster and ccleaner as go to tools

all free versions

it works for me, but I have to look out for false-positives
>>
>>59587824
>all free versions
datamine city
>>
>>59587686
W10 has a lot of automatic installs in the background. Maybe kill some of them in cmd (you can't get to them from W10 proper, and the ones you can will reinstall themselves on reboot or at the next update for the most part) and see if the machine is still stable enough for use?
>>
>>59587832
not if you know enough about your computer to block data gathering

it's not a perfect block, but I'm not a dangerous haxor in need of privacy, so...
>>
>>59587832
>paying for any program
>>
I brose the web using arachne+dosbox
That's better than any firewall/antivirus out there
>>
>>59582823
you probably have a ton of spyware and malware on your computer

common sense doesn't cut it anymore
>>
>>59586650
Windows defender flags control panel settings enforced by GPO as dangerous. WTF.
>>
>>59587245
HEllo John McAffee
>>
>>59586392
its useful if you plug your pc directly into the modem and the modem doesnt have a firewall.
>>
>>59584804
>fallacy fallacy fallacy
>>
>>59587063
Could you share your list of GP tweaks?
>>
File: 20170319_165517.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170319_165517.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>59582925

>Source
>>
>>59587824
Defender and MSE are the same thing on Win 8 and up. Only on 7 were Defender and MSE different.

Defender+Emet is all you will ever need
>>
File: baddude.jpg (14KB, 383x336px) Image search: [Google]
baddude.jpg
14KB, 383x336px
>>59582818
>worried about malware and a secure firewall
>using windows
>>
>>59583208
>the Bunga Bunga virus in North Zimbabwia
kek
>>
>>59583208
I'm not sure you have a basic understanding of mathematics. That "extra 4%" would be the difference in a 1 in 20 success rate of infection versus a 1 in 100, which is 500% fewer infections. Guess what adding another 0.9 to that 99 would do?
>>
>>59582818
Didn't Microsoft nerf it on purpose?
When it was first released it surpassed in detections most third-party tools, but gradually it became more or less worthless.
At this point you may as well disable it since it just wastes processing power.
>>
>>59587287
Any good guides on how to avoid spyware and malware? Like covering every possible way.
>>
>>59590519
use noscript or umatrix
scan everything downloaded with virus total
>>
just buy kaspersky on g2a. People who dont use anti malware in 2017 are stupid children that has no idea what they are talking about and how many ways you can be infected.

Use a live scanning antivirus, umatrix, ublock and common sense. anything less than that then just assume you're already infected.
>>
>>59587063
>>59589365
I would also like to know about your GP tweaks
>>
>>59590519
1. Dont do stupid things..aka common sense
2. Adblocker and optional script blocker for your up to date browser
3. Anti-Virus program + optional EMET

Thats all you ever need. If something gets through that and fucks you over...just cut your losses and wipe and reload. Its way less time and stress than fucking around with trying to clean shit up with 18 different versions of spybot etc
>>
>>59582823
>I don't need guards protecting the castle, I use common sense.
>>
>>59590820
Why would you need an anti virus program when you have common sense?
>>
>>59590913
why do you need door locks when a burglar will just break a window?

Because you cant always think of every possibility and eventuality...and while an anti-virus may not be a perfect solution. Common sense + Antivirus is better than Common Sense alone
>>
>>59582818
Yeah it's great. It detects my key crackers for pirated software!
>>
>>59589365
>>59590792
Will do a little later
>>
Any talk of anti-viruses without mentioning a site like the below is basically people spewing their uninformed opinions back and forth.

https://www.av-comparatives.org/

By objective measurements, Windows Defender is inadequate at protecting against threats and takes too much resources for what it does.

I personally use Avira, which seemed to place very well by these objective measurements. It's a little annoying, because sometimes it thinks that CMake-related programs that are created during project configuration are viruses, but I just turn it off when I hit "Configure" for the first time, then turn it back on.
>>
Related to wind defender, what's the best option of changing firewall? As it is I can't use windows firewall to whitelist activity after I've used a 'block everything'. I haven't used a 3rd party firewall in years and am out of the loop. The goal is simply when on a VPN to block all connections/programs except utorrent, as it's a public network. Options so far have been tinywall and comodo.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.