[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

eGPU For Video Editing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: download (3).jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
9KB, 259x194px
hi /g/

have any of you ever tried using an eGPU? i want to use one for video editing when i am on the go. the x220 has a shit display, but it's all I have to work with. sony vegas isn't too bad to work with, but the render times take fucking forever.

>i5 2540m

anyhow, I know it can be done with the x220 via expresscard. any experiences? tips?
>>
eGPU? Enlighten me
>>
tried using egpu with the express card slot.

very hard to find a card that will work with it.

not sure how you would go with USB 3.0 version of it though
>>
>>59581580
There are plenty of tutorials for Thinkpads. It's very doable
>>
>>59581580
>eGPU
>>59582115
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-egpu-experiences.418851/
>>
>>59581580
Does video editing really eat into the GPU though? I know it can take a shitload of ram but I thought the decoding/reencoding was mostly a CPU based thing without custom hardwares.
>>
>>59582631
CUDA for nvidia and OpenCL for amd
>>
I did the external GPU thing for a little while it worked all right I think for your uses it will probably work better then what I was using it for
>>
>>59582876
What was your set up?
>>
>>59582631
It doesn't use the GPU at all except for effects added to the video that are actually rendered on the card. Like 3D effects and transitions, for example. Unless you are using said effects that are specifically designed to be rendered on the card, a GPU will make absolutely no difference except speed up the playback a little bit while doing general editing, because CUDA and OpenCL do not actually encode the video. They just render the effect to the project and then it is encoded by the CPU.

Now you CAN however use plugins like the homemade NVENC plugin for Adobe Premiere which uses the built-in H.264 encoder on GTX 600+ cards (also Quadros and some GTs) to encode the video, cutting off a noticeable amount of encode time.

If your editor does not support this though, a GPU will make no difference in encode time. Just render time.
>>
>>59581580
It works very well for video editing (insofar as video editing benefits from a GPU in the first place). The main bottlenecks for gaming use aren't relevant for this application, so it works about as well as it would in a desktop.
>>
>>59582956
Okay cool I still don't actually know what goes on under the hood of a lot of the effects I use but since it's mostly libre shit I imagine very little GPU-wise.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170326-011432.png (341KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170326-011432.png
341KB, 1080x1920px
If anyone was wondering this is the easiest way to enter the comfy eGPU terrain
>>
>>59583758
But does that support ExpressCard Gen2? Is it stable? I've heard nothing but complaints about EXP GDC.
>>
>>59581580
eGPUs are a bit of a gimmick. If you want decent video editing get a fucking desktop with a proper big screen. What you're considering makes no sense.
And the CPU+fast drive are way more important than the GPU for video editing.
>>
gl with the "video editing" (games) on your used spermpad op
>>
>>59583758
http://www.hwtools.net/eGPU.html
find what you need and google the model number
>>
how
>>
>>59583844
I've bought two and literally nothing bad happened and I'm not sure
>>
>>59584032
I didn't ask for this but thank you so much anon kun I've been needing some of this shit
>>
>>59583844
No problems here with my T430 and GTX 670. Pretty much plug ang play.
>>
>>59584297
>>59584729
Have you checked if it runs at gen 2 speeds though? My PE4C does and I've not had one single issue.
>>
>>59583758
What's your experience been like? How does it compare bandwidth/performance wise etc? I've been looking into it and that looks like the best option I've seen so far, thunderbolt stuff is still fucking expensive.
>>
>>59586235
Yep. GPU-Z reports Gen2 speeds too.
>>
Both expresscard and mpcie are like 4gb/s transfer speed capped. Your best bet nowadays is a thunderbolt3 adapter, than expresscard,, than mpcie, than m.2

Also its not just videocards, you can do pcie sound cards and make a decent recording station or tv tuner/htpc
>>
>>59588904
Sorry, 4gb/s with expresscard/mpcie. Thunderbolt runs at like 8gb/s
>>
How is it for gaming on the x220? I have a spare GTX460.

Has anyone tried it on Arch?
>>
>>59590203
It's working pretty well on Arch for me, especially since they've recently enabled GLVND in Mesa (which means that you can finally have more than 1 libgl installed at the same time)
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.