[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Linux Desktop, Generally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot (16).png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (16).png
2MB, 1920x1080px
Would like to format my drives and run GNU/Linux.
The best experience I had doing this was Fedora, but eventually that didn't boot.

I always have to add nomodeset to the boot options before install, dedicated nvidia card (gtx 970). Is there a single GNU/Linux release that
>just werks?

What's the best distribution to install and actually use on a desktop?

Pic related, it's my current NSA OS
>>
install macOS
>>
Either install ubuntu and learn at your own pace or go fully in and learn how it all works. In that case I would recommend arch linux, or something else starting without a gui. I would suggest centos or fedora for that. Install and test risky stuff on a virtual machine and use what is stable and works on your real machine
>>
>>59581348
nouveau does kms, i assume the proprietary driver does as well but that's not the distro's problem
>>
>>59581348
Nouveau is shit outside a couple reference cards they actually try to support. Nobody actually uses it except for the time it takes to install proprietary nvidia drivers.
>>
>>59583188
what this guy said. noveau works but you won't get good performance doing anything remotely graphics intensive. Install the nvidia drivers from whatever nonfree repository Fedora has (if you're still sticking with that) and reboot
>>
>>59581348
Why are you moving away from Windows? I use Linux myself, but if Windows just werks already for you and does what you need (looks like you play games), why complicate things?
>>
I started using Linux (Ubuntu) after my Windows crashed and have had very few minor problems you can run quite a number of Windows software including games if you use Wine
>>
>>59581348
> Fedora, but eventually that didn't boot
Fedora is massive unstable shit, it has always been.
Go with something like Ubuntu then. This is the most supported distro by third parties.
>>
>>59581348
Recent convert here.

I chose Ubuntu 16.04 because of the LTS and community support. There's definitely a learning curve and I did have a few fatal errors (I was also running a liveUSB hacked up with huge persistence so...)

Now I've got an older system and can comfortably run Lubuntu (same core, different desktop environment). When the occasional error does occur, I can handle it now. For example I recently executed an emulator that made my whole OS read only, but I was able to fix it from the command line at reboot. Just be prepared to search a lot. Also, most drivers will be found automatically - either before or in the additional software installs. Overall, I've had a good experience. And if you program, it can be particularly beneficial.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.