[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can you make decent 2d games with python and pygame?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: pygame.png (7KB, 179x99px) Image search: [Google]
pygame.png
7KB, 179x99px
Can you make decent 2d games with python and pygame?
>>
You can make """decent""" 2d games with any language. Depends on what you reference as the subjective decent though. Decent is your average top 500 free games on the app store.

Good would be like fallout shelter level of care.
>>
>>59578206
No.
>>
>>59578206
You can make small games with it like platformers and RPGs and shit, for larger projects it's best to use something else.
>>
>>59578206
yes but IDK how easy it would be to distribute it outside of PCs
>>
You can make decent 2D games with Game Maker Studio. But you shouldn't. Just use SDL, it's not that hard to learn.
>>
>https://www.pygame.org/
What a shitty page.
>>
>>59578331
Pygame games can be a bitch to distribute even across PC platforms because Windows fucking sucks and can't into Python as simply as OSX and Linux
>>
>>59578206
You can literally make a decent 2d game in brainfuck, from scratch.
It is completely realistic to make a good 2d game in assembly (from scratch).
It can take as little as a weak to make a good python game in python and pygame.
Sure, the code will be shit, it might not be viable on mobile, and you won't be able to move beyond 3d.
But yes, you can make a decent 2d game with python and pygame.
>>
>>59578357
GM:S2 is pretty good, if one isn't interested in hard coding everything GM:S2 would definitely be the right tool to get since a game is a ton of work, programming is just one of the many things you need to do.

Only people who care stupid shits like "hurr I coded everything from scratch and made my own engine" would want to go about it the hard way, and guess what, you'll most likely never finish your game anyway if you don't use something like GM:S because you'll be too busy coding shits no one will ever care about or don't matter in the slightest.
>>
>>59579030
You are right sir
>>
just use javascript and some browser canvas.

I bet it's a shitload faster too.
>>
I always wondered how do you make visual stuff like games in common languages like C. I actually get it how they do it in browsers using javascript with predefined shit like canvas and webgl or even with html/css elements. But with C i dont get it how do you even create a colored square or circle
>>
>>59579111
OpenGLis what you're looking for. Cairo for the really simple stuff. Check out some demoscene animations those guys hardly use any libs usually (and provide source)
>>
>>59579146
Thank you anon. So it always comes down to using some API that can command the graphics card to make visuals
>>
>>59578206
Yes but it will be a pain in the ass with hardly any added value.
Try löve.js
>>
>>59579030
>I never want to learn how things work
lol
>>
>>59579168
Yes. On the really really old systems all graphical output is defined by bytes in memory, which is what makes C64 programming so attractive: write bit to address, see pixel on screen
>>
>>59579226
Amazing stuff
>>
>>59579226
byte* ofc
>>
>>59579219
You seem to think GM:S(2) is some sort of lego game where you just smash button to do whatever you want it to do, the thing is no one but retards do that, everyone codes their games like anyone, you just don't have to code an engine since GM:S itself is already the best 2D engine you could ask for (or that currently exists at the very least).

Reminder that we're talking about 2D games here.
>>
>>59578206
Yes, I'm more of a fan of love2d for that though.
>>
A stupid Hanoi game I did with pygame.
>>
just use unity, its free with the best documentation you could hope for
>>
I tried and made a dual core Intel CPU lag with a few hundred particles. No joke.
>>
>>59579416
Tower of Hanoi is fun, but I would never pay for a digital copy of it.
>>
>>59579416
nice. How long did it take?
>>
>>59578367
Python *in general* suffers from this problem. Maintaining a clean development environment across PCs is pain in the ass enough, let alone on enduser machines.
>>
>>59580045
I've heard of this and thus the virtual environments stuff. Seemed like bullshit to me.
>>
>>59580082
On paper, virtualenvs are a solution - basically they muck with your shell's path so that anytime you call python, you're calling a separate copy of python with its own package dirs and whatnot.

In reality, environment manipulation is touchy, not very cross platform, and not all apps support it like they should.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.