[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

External Mounting for WiFi antenna

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 20170325_115103.jpg (213KB, 1032x578px) Image search: [Google]
20170325_115103.jpg
213KB, 1032x578px
I have a bit of an unhealthy obsession with routers and I've been screwing around with mounting external antennae on routers that have tiny internally mounted antenna usually taped to the case. I've done it with that WNDR4300 at the bottom and it's a noticeable difference in range.I just bought a bunch of pig tail RG316's and was planning on doing this to other routers.
Has anyone ever screwed around with this and if so any thoughts/experiences?
>>
File: micropepe.gif (179B, 16x16px) Image search: [Google]
micropepe.gif
179B, 16x16px
Bump, for general interest
>>
>>59573850
I've often wondered about this myself, Linksys seems to want to go with those weird thumb nail looking Eseries (900's 1200's 2500's) and I've always wondered if they're sacrificing performance for aesthetics in a 1 piece unit.
>>
File: unifi-apac-lite_pcb_front.jpg (26KB, 400x305px) Image search: [Google]
unifi-apac-lite_pcb_front.jpg
26KB, 400x305px
>>59573850
just get this and stop fucking around.
>>
>>59573850
Interesting, I would think that the onboard CPU is tuned to a specific rate of transmission and making any alterations potentially inhibiting, but I may be wrong, as this might just be a signalling deal.
>>
>>59574091
Not a Ubiquiti fan...
>>
>>59574126
haven't had any performance issues, that I've noticed.
It just increases the range of both 2.4g and 5g.
>>
File: IMAG3809.jpg (988KB, 1480x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3809.jpg
988KB, 1480x2688px
Dude, are you me.
Pic related but for an old project.
>>
>>59574241
What results did you get?
I've found any online discussions of this somewhat confusing and contradictory, some say it's a waste of time, others say that they always crack open the case and mount them because of improved performance...
>>
bump for science
>>
Interesting, I had never thought about doing something like this, but I guess it depends on where the router is placed and area obstructions...
I've found that tyvek is an absolute bitch to 2.4g signal.
>>
>>59574311
Results are good
But depend on the following:
1- Router output power (you can in some routers to tweak it, but it maybe illegal in some counties)
2- The coaxial length (impedance if you use other radio freq too)

3- location.

The project in pic-related up wasn't only to boost the signal, but hijack other routers automatically and use the WDS function to further boost the signal and collect some data.
>>
File: 20170325_133603.jpg (244KB, 1032x581px) Image search: [Google]
20170325_133603.jpg
244KB, 1032x581px
>>59574844
I'm not out to screw with others, just boost my own stuff, I have dabbled in SSID poaching credentials, but this is my current project, the 2 soldered connections are 2.4 and the RG316 are for 5g,
>>
>>59575119
What is your target?

Because with your current setup (only 5dbi antenna gain), I doubt you'll get great result.
Calculate the loss in :
1- Coaxial cable.
2- Interconnection and soldered point (yes, they count)
And calculate the net after you add the antenna gain.
Also don't forget
- Obstacles.
- Channels used. (ie interference)

btw, 5.8 Ghz is sensitive to noise, distance is the ultimate enemy for it, so if your target is range, I'd stick to 2.4 and use the whole power to it.
>>
Just remember, wifi is a two way thing. No matter how amazing your AP is, if the end-user device is a shitty $300 laptop, you'll end up with shit results.

After fucking around with wifi for the entirety of 2016, I gave up and just started running cables inside walls down to a patch panel in my basement. Best decision ever.
>>
stop buying router with antenna..

I have Routerboard HAP AC pair with 2 Ubiquiti UAP AC .. this thing is beast and stable af.
>>
>>59574695
>tyvek
The plastic?

Adding bigger antennas to routers is pretty much a meme, as routers only broadcast at so many milliwatts by default.

The only genuine reason to bother is if you're adding a directional antenna to get long range (and you can get very long ranges with standard wifi hardware).
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.