[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I study CS at university?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

File: computer science uni.jpg (556KB, 1008x672px) Image search: [Google]
computer science uni.jpg
556KB, 1008x672px
I'm going to university this fall and I like programming and computers so I kinda wanna study CS, but I don't like math much. I'm pretty good at it, but I almost never enjoy it.

Should I give CS a try?
>>
Look at thread archives, this is posted like 5x a week

https://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S59459471#p59473227
>>
Just can't understand how can you like programming and don't like math at the same time
>>
>>59570637
>>59570644
Why not? Do I really have to love math to do CS?
>>
>>59570681
Math is beautiful, faggot. Learn to love it regardless of what you do
>>
>>59570659

The same reason you can like massaging your prostate while masturbating but not be gay.
>>
>>59570659
I like the logic and "machinery" with programming. Creating something that works and does something. Same reason why I like engineering.

However, math is boring to me. It's just puzzles. I like learning about it, especially about cool proofs, but I hate sitting down and just doing these math problems over and over.
>>
>>59570703
This guy knows
>>
>>59570634
>I don't like math

Depends where you study. If it's a good CS course on a good Uni, I would suggest no.

But some CS studies seem more like coding camps... so, yeah.

>>59570681
Like every course except the basic coding lectures have a good amount of math in them. If you don't like mathematical proofs, it will be very boring for you. Also it's more advanced than school maths, so don't assume it's gonna be easy. For 99% of all CS students the math part isn't a walk in the park.
>>
>>59570634
The math teachers at your school probably sucked.
>>
>>59570708
>it's just puzzles

Fuck you
>>
>>59570712
>>59570713
I took a physics and a math course at my local uni because I like physics, but I was turned off by the studying. They just want you to grind math problems and they don't really promote understanding. I think this is my biggest problem with math.

I don't think my teacher sucked. He was very good.
>>
>>59570756
if you understand it, you don't have to grind
>>
>>59570659
he probably likes software engineering
>>
>>59570634
I too like programming but don't like any math from calculus and up. You'll be fine. Struggle through the math classes just to pass and then you can forget all that shit. I had to do Calc 1/2/3 and Linear Algebra to get my CS degree. I got C's and D's in those classes but then graduated with a 100k job offer.
>>
>>59570634

you are fucked without the math. They make it extra hard to sort out the retards. You will just experience death and suffering.

Study some easy liberal art shit and learn coding on your own - add projects, try to get internships early in IT and you will end up out performing CS majors with a meme degree lol
>>
>self study while working as an engineer
>struggle to get noticed by employers

>start a masters in CS
>just got an internship at Nokia

It's worth it if you work hard and make the most of your time as a student
>>
>>59570879
Don't bother getting a masters. Paying tuition combined with the opportunity cost of not being employed is a huge waste of money. Your formal education as a software engineer means nothing.
>>
>>59570756
Math at my university was that way until you got past the calculus series (1-4). Then we have a class called Transitions where they pull out the rug from under you and say "ok that's not how math is done at the higher level". Proofs and LateX sort of suck, but I learned a ton and never felt like I was just doing random shit to get an answer
>>
>>59570893
Depends on where you want to end up. If you go into bioinformatics (meme field, whatever) you are basically expected to have at least a masters degree when you get into higher positions
>>
>>59570634
>but I don't like math much

Start with CS, if you can't take the math you can always fall back into IT or whatever your school offers (it was "Information Science" at my school). However, you may end up enjoying higher level math too because it sounds like you had shit math teachers.
>>
>>59570708
if you think math is puzzles you don't know math
>>
File: 1465375580384.jpg (49KB, 500x401px) Image search: [Google]
1465375580384.jpg
49KB, 500x401px
>>59570634
Here's the real trick:

Don't decide what you're going to major in yet.

Use your freshman year to take classes in a bunch of things that seem interesting. Talk to your professors and ask what they like and dislike about working in their respective fields. They'll be more than happy to answer your questions because odds are, they're passionate about their field and happy to talk about it beyond the same boring shit they teach every day, every semester. (If they're not, then that tells you something too.)

You don't have enough information now, and school is too long and too expensive to waste with an uninformed decision.
>>
>>59570854
Wut
>>
>>59571041
Not him, but I see what he's getting at.

A CS degree has a lot of math. Most real world programming doesn't.

If you want to work in programming but aren't good at math, there are other better ways to go about it than majoring in CS.
>>
>>59571030
>wasting an entire year of tuition to "discover yourself"
Good goy
>>
>don't like math
don't bother.

there isn't enough programming in a CS course to get you up and running when you enter the workforce anyway. so you'll have to supplement by learning it in your own time.

since you're picking programming up with or without CS then might as well save yourself the pain of paying off your student loan.

get a degree in an entirely different field and learn programming anyway.
>>
>>59570634
Try it out OP, I didn't like math in high school at all, but when I got to college, the math they taught for CS was way more interesting than high school math. If you like programming youll probably be interested in CS theory as well, unless you're a pajeet developer
>>
First couple years will probably suck and will be literally for loops, basic sorting shit, math, and maybe some low level hardware or assembly stuff if you take that route (I suggest you do). After that it will probably be a mix of fun-ish projects with bullshit requirements.

The degree will help get you past HR departments but you're going to want to find an internship before you land the degree.
>>
>>59570634
underage detected
>>
>>59570634
No don't seriously, I graduated in CS and now I have a shit ton of debt and a shitty job. Pajeets will just compete you out.
>>
>>59570634
>I'm pretty good at it, but I almost never enjoy it.

Then no.

Go do something else. There are plenty of other majors that don't require you to be behind a computer monitor all day once you graduate. Pick one of those.
>>
>>59570634
Rate my plan
-At local university (full scholarship)
1st Bachelor
Major in Electrical engineering
Minor in CS
-At higher level uni
Masters in electrical engineering
>>
>>59570634
>I'm pretty good at it, but I almost never enjoy it.
You're not good at math, you're just good at rote memorization and following basic instructions. Math is not what you think it is.

Also, fuck off back to high school.
>>
>>59570634
CS being math heavy is a meme. If you can pass a couple of classes on differential equations, you're good to go.
>>
>>59570634
Go for it, but if you find yourself not enjoying it after 1 year, shift out into a course you assigned as your back-up.
>>
>>59570634
Math Phds get off by (((complicated))) letter hell theory bullshit. If you just like the real world applicable part, computer science, then you're a very bright person. Choose CS and leave the irrelevant part of math to the math majors.
>>
>>59570854
>Study some easy liberal art shit and learn coding on your own - add projects, try to get internships early in IT and you will end up out performing CS majors with a meme degree lol

The biggest problem with most engineering grads upon graduation is that they don't have the soft skills, like communication.

>friend of family was a senior engineer at Raytheon before he retired and went to live in Italy and various other places

"I would re-do Engineering education and make kids get degrees in English and have Engineering only in Graduate School."

The lack of communication skills among E school grads really bothered him.

Getting the communication skills that other CS grads don't get by doing Liberal Arts will put you ahead of the other guys. Because all the real learning happens after you graduate and you learn how real-world CS is not how they taught you *at all.*
>>
>>59571308
Not who you replied to but he can just take general shit required for degree progress anyway and it wouldn't be a waste of a year
>>
>>59570634
lmao'd at the "leet" htop output.
>>
>>59570708

Math is your toolbox full of wrenches, chainsaws, and flamethrowers.

Solve enough problems, you'll become handy with it soon enough, and then the love will follow.

Also checkout betterexplained.com or mathinsights so it has more meaning behind it.
>>
File: ds_witchlaughing.png (598KB, 673x680px) Image search: [Google]
ds_witchlaughing.png
598KB, 673x680px
>>59571308
>Living in a country where you have to pay for uni
>>
I study CS but I'm really bad at math. I get good grades because I study and study and study, but it definitely doesn't come naturally to me at all.

I wouldn't recommend studying CS if you're innumerate or just don't like math. Study Software Engineering instead.
>>
>>59570708
dont be fooled CS and programming are just math.

find something more hardware oriented
>>
>>59570634
study how to suck dicks. job guaranteed

>>>/adv/
>>
Study information systems. At my uni I have all computer science classes but only one math class per semester.
>>
>>59570708
College math isn't HS math
>>
>>59570893

My high paying internship at an extremely well known international company begs to differ.

To be honest my man it sounds like you speak from your feelings rather than your experiences. Having a masters means that my starting salary is higher and I'll have better opportunities in the future.

A day will come where bootcampers and webdevs will reach a critical mass and they'll all be culled from the industry.

I've been trying to get into the industry for a while without a CS degree. It's tough and your options are limited. I can afford my masters without putting myself into debt and its the best solution for me.
>>
>>59573207
I would prefer to pay for university instead of going to a shitty third world """""free""""" university that nobody in the world knows.

By the way, why is the CS meme so popular here but not many people discuss about software/systems engineering?
>>
>>59570708
College math is a different beast, and discrete math is really helpful with

>>59570756
While memorization can impose artificial difficulty, sometimes rote memorization is what you have to do.
>>
File: 1490199152824.jpg (40KB, 455x650px) Image search: [Google]
1490199152824.jpg
40KB, 455x650px
>>59570634
> 2017
> fell for CS meme
wew lad
u r retarded
>>
>>59573327
I find that no one talks about sys eng as much cos it's not as well known here apart from networking generals.

Idk desu but aren't they somewhat similar to each other?
That's the kind of experience I had doing systems engineering.
Good thing I'm out of that course, I felt miserable doing it
>>
>>59570634
math is too large, so you'll get your favorite parts
>>
>>59570634
>not aiming for tenure and wasting dat sweet grant money for your own shit
>>
File: 1488598549724.png (141KB, 800x600px)
1488598549724.png
141KB, 800x600px
>>59570634
if you decide to CS learn on your own how to program.
othervise you will get fizzbuzz`ed or pic related will happen if you dont
>>
Just because you don't like math doesn't mean you can't learn enough of it to get by as an engineer. If you have interest in games or simulations though you should make an effort to give math a second chance.

Also to be a software engineer the quickest path is a degree in computer science. If you pick information systems you'll end up in QA or IT. If you pick liberal arts you'll more than likely have to go to a coding bootcamp to get into any interviews. If you want to be ahead of the curve and meta the field though a degree in math is actually really nice for getting into machine learning/data science type roles.
>>
>>59570634
>should i get a degree in a field which is absolutely flooded with out-of-work engineers, pajeets, and mommy coder camps
>should i get a degree in a field where the gov actively tries to import corporate wage slaves

Yeah, sure, go ahead idiot.
>>
I think it's funny how everyone assumes op is American in threads like these. There are no pajeets or enslaving tuitions in Europe and most CS programs here are more SE than CS really, so most answers here are really irrelevant if op isn't American.
>>
>>59570634

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfYot1IsqCM

/thread
>>
>>59576066
I find it funny how even people with degrees struggle at simple for-loop related interview questions. I thought it was a joke until I've seen it myself.
>>
I'm diagnosed with add. Should I even consider studying CS? Math in high school required way too much effort because paying attention to something even short perioids of time is pretty difficult. Should I try CS or should I just kill myself as soon as possible?
>>
Why would you decide to go to university before knowing what you want to major in?
>>
>>59570634
Claims to know math but has never studied
>number theory
>stochastic processes
>graph theory
>topology
>group theory/field theory
>real analysis
>PDEs
>higher-level discrete mathematics (not that nonsense you take in your undergrad)
>combinatorics

You have NO idea what you're talking about. The mathematics you've done so far in your life is child's play computations, not even remotely similar to actual maths.

Real math isn't solving calculations over and over again lmfao, youll wish it was that easy
>>
>>59570634

Jesus. Listen snowflake. Maths will feature heavily in any degree that is not a complete fucking joke. Forget about what you enjoy. Focus on achieving a degree that will help you get the career that you will enjoy Its called Pain and Gain.
>>
>>59578093
he is a dead meme
>>
>>59570634
Maybe. If you're willing to try, and to work your ass off like any student of hard sciences or engineering. There IS a lot of math to do it well, but the math you did in highschool is pretty shit, and has very little to do with the math you'll do in university (unless you get a business or philosophy major, in which case highschool math is far beyond what you'll take). Give the math a chance, it can be pretty neat. You should talk to a councilor at your school, and go over exactly what you'll be taking for different degrees that you'd like. Lay it out on paper. Maybe do a year undecided, if you can figure out a freshman-year that's still worthwhile and doesn't lock you into one subject. Also, don't be afraid of summer classes at the local community college, to get weedout, boring, or otherwise worthless classes out of the way.
>>
>>59578598
Law and medicine do not require math and are not fucking jokes. Finance does not require much math. Political science.

All of these are great degrees around here. Stop this meme about math being important for everything worthwhile.
>>
File: 1490240568265.jpg (97KB, 561x595px) Image search: [Google]
1490240568265.jpg
97KB, 561x595px
>>59570634
Oblig...
>>
>>59572773
Just get a fucking job in retail or something for a year if your communication skills are lacking.
>>
>>59578700
>Law and medicine do not require math and are not fucking jokes. Finance does not require much math. Political science.

Law and medicine both require math as thinking skills. You have no chance getting into either (they're both graduate degrees in the civilized world) without at least a few undergraduate calculus courses.

Finance requires quite a bit of math. Because you have to understand what is going on with the money. It's not all that interesting math, but there's a lot of it.

Political science requires shit loads of math. There are two types of political scientists: greek letter, and bullshit. The bullshit ones are the ones who get a degree, and work as managers at Arby's until their glamorous retirement of medicare funded home, and social security payments. The greek letter ones are the ones who debate the finer points of obscure distributions with their mathematician friends over a few glasses of wine, before driving home to a nice place in the suburbs.
>>
>forcing people to use glossy monitors WITH A FUCKING GLASS LAYER ON TOP TO BOOT in a well lit room.

Apple, not even once.
>>
>>59578433

Imagine what a turd this guy is in RL.
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.