[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microsoft and Intel’s Decades-Long Alliance Has Started To Fray

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: file.png (50KB, 325x325px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
50KB, 325x325px
Microsoft and Intel’s Decades-Long Alliance Has Started To Fray

THEY CALLED IT Wintel.

For decades, two companies worked side by side to build the very foundation of personal computing. Microsoft built the operating system—Windows—and Intel built the chips. But Wintel is no more. Sure, Windows will continue to run on Intel chips. But Wintel as a mighty alliance has died. It’s been fading for years, and this week Microsoft snuffed out the last of it.

On Wednesday, from a conference stage in Silicon Valley, Microsoft told the world it plans on using ARM chips in the servers that underpin Windows Azure, the sweeping collection of cloud computing services that represents the company’s future. It was the most tactical of announcements, a carefully considered collection of words meant to shift computing’s balance of power. Microsoft has yet to actually put ARM chips in the data centers that run Azure. It merely pledged that it would.

“All this is before we’ve actually seen a chip,” says Patrick Moorhead, the president and principal analyst at Moor Insights and Strategy, a firm that closely follows the chip business. In other words, this announcement isn’t about technology—at least not yet. It’s little more than a push against Intel’s market power. Like Google and Amazon and others, it seems, Microsoft wants an added bargaining chip when buying computer chips from the biggest computer chip maker on Earth. The question: will it get what it wants?

https://www.wired.com/2017/03/wintel-going-not-dead-yet/
>>
>>59569544

>Azure
>Microsofts Future

jesus ... are you going full SaSS on businesses? I can see it happening i guess.

Every big business is just going to pay for software whenever its needed and can deploy anything they want pretty much instantly without ever owning it.

I guess it makes sense.

Hope they leave the consumer market behind slowly.
>>
Wait, ARM chips can run on servers now?
>>
>>59569587
Yeah they're really great for IO heavy work, bunch of companies jumped on the train
>>
AMD FINISHED AND BANKRUPT
>>
>>59569544
I don't know what anyone else expected. Microsoft watched just as we did as Intel sat on it's ass for 5 years straight. No way that's going to keep up forever.
>>
>>59569544
>Microsoft told the world it plans on using ARM chips in the servers that underpin Windows Azure, the sweeping collection of cloud computing services that represents the company’s future

and what makes you think their "azure" OS shit is even remotely related to WIN32 WangblowsOS aids most cucks use?
it's likely new shit based on WinRT which is actually built to not be shit and cross platform

WIN32 Windows 10 cucks will not see any difference in terms of being cucked by intel's jewry as long as WIN32 is not ported to ARM
>>
Intel is dog shit, overpriced, errata filled AIDS.

It's not really shocking some of these companies are trying to kill it. This garbage cuts hard into their margins compared to ARM
>>
>>59569544
if they do the linux market share will skyrocket
manufacturers will still sell computers and parts only without windows or os x
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.