[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AMD and Microsoft team up to advance open s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (73KB, 721x316px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
73KB, 721x316px
AMD and Microsoft team up to advance open source cloud hardware

Microsoft’s Project Olympus platform design to incorporate the upcoming high-performance “Naples” x86 server processor.

AMD recently announced it is working with Microsoft to advance open source cloud hardware. During the 2017 Open Compute Project U.S. Summit, the company said it teamed up with Microsoft to add Naples’ processor’s cloud delivery features to Microsoft’s Project Olympus.

Project Olympus is Microsoft’s next-gen hyperscale cloud hardware design, and also a new model for open-source hardware development within the OCP community.

AMD says the joint effort means updated cloud hardware design can ‘adapt to meet the application demands of global datacentre consumers’.

“Next quarter AMD will bring hardware innovation back into the datacenter and server markets with our high-performance “Naples” x86 CPU, that was designed with the needs of cloud providers, enterprise OEMs and customers in mind,” said Scott Aylor, corporate vice president of enterprise systems, AMD. “Today we are proud to continue our support for the Open Compute Project by announcing our collaboration on Microsoft’s Project Olympus.”

Naples will bring the ‘Zen’’ x86 processing engine in configurations going up to 32 cores. AMD says the access to large amounts of memory and industry-leading on-chip support for high-speed I/O channels in a single chip SoC will separate Naples from everything else available in the market today.

The first processors are expected in the market in the second quarter of this year.

https://www.itproportal.com/news/amd-and-microsoft-team-up-to-advance-open-source-cloud-hardware/
>>
File: 1489151509477.jpg (75KB, 779x708px) Image search: [Google]
1489151509477.jpg
75KB, 779x708px
>>59569465
>Intel cucks everyone except Google and Amazon out of Skylake Xeons for 6 months literally a week before rollout
>rest of the 7+1 all start moving to AMD and ARM processors

Fucking blunder of the decade by Intel.
>>
>>59569656
They did that because yields and supply.
But then again it stranded relationships with others by saying "your business is not good enough for us!"
>>
>>59569656
>7+1
wut
>>
>>59569465
>poojeet companies team up to shit together
>>
>>59569826
Intel + NVIDIA + Mac OS X the official /pol/ companies now?
4chan confirmed gay in the closet
>>
>>59569775
Nah the stepping had non-functional xPoint support which was one of the key selling points. Wasn't found till chips were already being pumped out. Google and Amazon didn't give a fuck and offered to buy the whole lot. Yields are fine.

It wasn't just the exclusivity, it was that it was fucking last minute. They were ready for the chips n boards to come flowing in before Intel sent word that oy vey 6 month delay.

>>59569800
Major companies, priority customers. Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc
>>
>>59569889
But skylake-ep only launches in q3, there's no way they had supply half a year ago when charlie breached this exclusivity deal.
>>
>>59569921
Q2 2017, and I told you, chips missing features, bad stepping. Original launch was Q4 2016
>>
>>59569981
You sure it's Q2? I haven't seen any confirmation by Intel except 'second half'
>>
>>59569889
>Major companies, priority customers. Amazon, Google, Microsoft, etc
that is 3
>>
>>59570363
>etc
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.