[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help Desk

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

So I plan to work a Help Desk job in a few weeks while I continue towards my college degree. Honestly, a bit nervous.

For anyone who's worked a help desk job, realistically, what should I know?

I've heard some say its brainless, while others say its extremely stressful and they stay just until they get another job. Should I try to get some other entry level job instead?
>>
>>59568930
Depends where the help desk is, really. If it's at your college it's probably easy shit like setting up wifi. If you want a future in some sort of IT field (not necessarily just help desk) it's obviously a good experience.
>>
>>59568930
It mostly sucks because even if you are very good at what you do, end users will complicate everything.

Example:

End user: I want to solely use a laptop for work, so give the new person coming in 2 desktops.

>what
>call and ask about this nonsense
>"yeah she needs 2 desktops"
>uh, what
>realize she's probably just a fucking moron
>"do you mean her TVs for her PC"
>"Yep!"

That sort of shit. It can get convoluted.
>>
>>59568930
It really depends
It sucks if your users are retarded, which is the case 80 % of the time

>user calls
>have problem with xyz
>ok, please give me your teamviewer ID
>what's teamviewer?
>explain what teamviewer is
>user can't find the teamviewer symbol in the Windows bar
>tell to open the start menu and search for team
>doesn't understand that
>>
>>59568930
Its an IT consulting firm kind of job, offsite support. The job description is really vague, mainly "provide it support, general hardware/software knowledge".

No idea what to expect, but got the job through a friend's parent, so I don't want to turn it down.
>>
>>59569070
Mean to respond to
>>59569021

>>59569043
>>59569058
Yeah, I don't think I'll really have a problem with the clients, hopefully. I've spent a while in min wage customer service jobs, I'm mainly nervous about what knowledge i'm actually expected to know.
>>
>>59569096
Nothing! You have to know nothing!~
>>
File: 1476513792469.jpg (40KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1476513792469.jpg
40KB, 500x500px
>>59569070

>got the job through a friend's parent, so I don't want to turn it down.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeee nepotism
>>
File: 4941197.gif (471KB, 512x288px) Image search: [Google]
4941197.gif
471KB, 512x288px
>>59568930

You'll likely have to log your calls and creat "trouble tickets" or "incident requests" using something like BMC Remedy or similar CMS. You will discover you get some calls that are always the same, and have to same solution. To increase you efficiency, and make you life easier, use a clipboard manager that lets you reuse snippets and create 'canned' responses for your tickets. I used to use, 'Yankee Clipper III' for this, and when my manager saw how I adapted this tool for my workflow, he had it installed in the department's PCs, along with the databese of clips I had written. This one habbit will dramaticall reduce the time you spend typing, improve your "first pass yeald", and show your managers that you are slightly more that a pleb IT/HD slave. Don't be afraid to try things that improve your efficiency. Know that, depending were you work, you will be milked. You will be asked to find a balance between solving a problem within a short amount of time. Places like Convergess are notorious of tracking how long it takes you to do everything, including how long you take to go to the bathroom. Not even kidding.
>>
File: just a drill.gif (4MB, 375x221px) Image search: [Google]
just a drill.gif
4MB, 375x221px
>>59571932
^This.

I used to work in technical support and wanted to kill myself before I quit outright after 6 years.

>Know that, depending were you work, you will be milked. You will be asked to find a balance between solving a problem within a short amount of time.

So true. I used to work for AOL tech before broadband was widespread and the company I worked for gave you 7 minutes to diagnose and fix the problem, type up troubleshooting notes and then upsell some crap no-one wants before the end of the call. Keep in mind that some old people take 7 minutes just to tell you their name plus the issue they are having.

I hated it.
>>
>>59572663
>6 years
hahaha faggot
once your foot was in the door you shouldve certed up and quit after 6 months. I bet youre still doing desktop support while your peers are sysadmins or network engineers
>>
>>59572813
>I bet youre still doing desktop support while your peers are sysadmins or network engineers

I got promoted regularly and ended up in tier 2/3 support before quitting. I am now a security analyst and love it.

Stay mad.
>>
>>59568930
It's retard monkey shit
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.