[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FOSS worth donating to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

Here's what I'm planning so far:

Tier 1
Libreoffice
Arduino
GIMP
OpenStreetMap
Inkscape
Raspberry Pi
ZoneMinder
Piwik
Reprap
F Droid
Openscad
Xposed

Tier 2
Porteus
TWRP
Omnirom
Replicant
AdAway
AFWall
OSMand
AdBlock
IceCat Mobile
Conversations

Tier 3
Noscript
Xprivacy
Audacity
Freecad
FSF
DownThemAll
OpenVPN for Android

Obviously, the higher the tier, the more I will be donating in proportion. What will you be donating to?
>>
God tier
RMS
>>
>>59558382
>GIMP
how about you donate to something that actually experiences relevant development
>>
>>59558382
Where's Wikipedia, Mozilla, Linux Foundation, GNOME Foundation, senpai?
>>
>>59558521
>GNOME Foundation

Fuck these SJW niggers
>>
>>59558543
GNOME did nothing wrong besides misplacing a few hundred thousand dollars into women STEM social programs.
>>
>>59558382
you can drop the whole android tier shit right away and FSF should be Tier 1

why you might ask
FSF is a umbrella that offers legal representation for any of the projects that offer software on your list
>>
>>59558382
Why is most of this mobile shitware?

Here's something for you:
Wayland
Krita
Qemu+KVM
*BSD
OpenIndiana
Blender
Sailfish
Qt
i2p
>>
File: 1448070784445.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1448070784445.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>59558521
>gnome
>>
>>59558734
QEMU was the only thing on that list worth supporting.
>>
>>59558767
>not supporting i2p so you can safely download your cp
>>
Donate to ReactOS and open-source emulation devs too.
>>
>>59558767
Easily the most worthy, yes.
I'd still donate to Krita though, I've been drawing with it a lot lately.

>>59558819
These, too.
Especially the cycle perfect emulators. In time, the emulator will serve as the documentation for the original console. Perfect emulation is archiving hardware.
>>
>no Wikileaks, Tor Project, Freedom of the Press Foundation, The Courage Foundation
Your list is incomplete.
>>
Various internet archiving projects might be worthy too.
Not 4chan archives, but the actually useful ones.

And open source hardware.
>>
>>59558521

Maybe the donation would change that.

>>59558478

Wiki: Quite popular, not a priority
Gnome: More of a KDE man myself. (Forgot the KDE suite completely...)
Firefox: Do they even accept donations? I think I tried last year and it looked like they were alright with just the revenue from default search engines.

>>59558688

I'm aware of how they work, but I wanted to contribute to the software they represent before contributing to them.

>>59558734

Well someone's gotta support the shitware. Seriously though, it's mostly things I use. I think a secure mobile platform is the bare basic nowadays.

inb4
>Secure
>Android

Anyway, adding *BSD to the list. That's Tier 1 for sure. Checking out the rest, I know of them but never used them.
>>
>>59558874
Wikileaks is fully funded by the Russian Federation.
>>
>>59558382
>Donating to GIMP but not Blender
Dude Blender is one of the hidden gems of the FOSS world. People severely underestimate its capabilities. It's every bit as powerful as Maya and Max these days, and crashes a hell of a lot less too.
>>
>>59558382
Let me guess, just won a lottery?
>>
>>59558912
If mobile is what you care about, I've included sailfish for you. I'm not even sure if they take donations, but I'd like to see some accelerated development and adaptation.
It's a proper linux distro for mobile phones and has android app and android-in-a-window support.
>>
Nobody except you since everyone who uses FOSS is an egotist who gives nothing back.

This is also why we have proprietary software. It shoves you down into that situation effectively at the cost of your freedom.
>>
>>59559046
>everyone who uses FOSS
Nice generality, cuck.
>>
>>59558959

Whoa, I totally had i2p misunderstood. So it's like a tor network? How does it work?

>>59558986

At birth, actually. That being said, the total amount is very much in line with what /g/ would spend on meme devices.

>>59559010

Yup, know it well. Would've got one if it was a tad bigger/more powerful.

Haven't they been take over by Razer though?
>>
>>59558382
damn thats a fucking cool image
>>
>>59558959

Added. I guess I'll take your word for it, never could make a single thing on it.

How's the development for it? Still active?
>>
>>59559130
Very much so. I think far too many people tried it back in the 2.49 days and earlier. It was very confusing then, and the lack of n-gon support was inexcusable, but it's grown tremendously. Their team is also the leading source on reverse-engineering the FBX format right now, which would help other 3D non-autodesk 3D projects in the future as well.
>>
File: 1490200646427.jpg (22KB, 552x539px) Image search: [Google]
1490200646427.jpg
22KB, 552x539px
>advocating charity
>on 4chan
>>
>>59558382

> tarduino

The Chinese sell the same thing for a fraction of the price

They aren't a non profit like the raspberry pi lads
>>
>>59559209

Didn't know that. But they are proponents of the open hardware thing which I think is very under represented.

>>59558898

Could you cite a few open hardware projects?
>>
>>59559098
The biggest differences between i2p and TOR are that TOR has lots of outproxies while i2p has only a few and you're adviced to not use them. Meaning that you can't use i2p to anonymize surface net traffic.
i2p's userbase is way smaller as a result.
i2p also supports more protocols, there are fully anonymous torrent trackers and irc servers that are fairly active.
There are also various technical differences the user doesn't generally need to care about. And, it's not developed by the US military.

What do you mean with Sailfish and Razer though? I haven't heard of anything to that effect...

>>59559208
Hello newfriend, did you know that 4chan is neutral in nature and has done a number of charities before?

>>59559130
Blender is definitely worth donating to, it's near industry standard, with their only issue being commercial support licencing.
>>
>>59558382

> FSF
> no EFF
>>
>>59558959
Not even JUST blender
>OpenShot
>KdenLive

Blender is fucking powerful, but I think at this point it might be better to donate to individual open plugin projects. Can't seem to find a lot of donations for them though
>TuttleOFX

>>59559308
Bad bumper sticker this year, sorry.
>>
>>59559292

Nvm, it's Nextbit that's been taken over by Razer. Not Jolla.

Has Blender been involved in anything in the range of hollywood?
>>
>>59559327
> but I think at this point it might be better to donate to individual open plugin projects.

TFW you'll never see a full release of Cosmonaut Laundromat at this rate
>>
What's /g/'s thoughts on Libre/Coreboot etc?

I think it's a serious privacy requirement, but do they even work on anything but used thinkpads?
>>
>>59559394
>Has Blender been involved in anything in the range of hollywood?
So it seems.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOWzn64bOU8
I only just opened this video though, not sure what it contains just yet.
As I said, Blender's problem is not being able to provide support or marketing for large studios. You can't have your whole studio watch Rajeesh tutorials on youtube for a few weeks after adapting such software.

By the way, are you the same dude asking for wishlists on /ic/?

>>59559454
This goes to >>59559248
>>
>>59559394
Blender has been used in hollywood but not for anything production-quality. They generally use it for pre-pro stuff, animatics and the like.

That said, things like the Open Movie projects show you how powerful it is when used for that sort of stuff.

Look up Big Buck Bunny and Cosmonaut Laundromat for a couple pretty good ones.
>>
>>59559485
>not for production
it's the entire workflow for a lot of things, they do use homebrew/commercial plugins/code on top of blender though.
>>
>>59559248

What have they done for open hardware? nothing

if they released the Arduino board design, then it's because the people who buy Arduino care about that type of shit and they have no reason to care anyway since it's so trivial and obvious
>>
>>59558382
No mention of Let's Encrypt?
>>
>>59559248
Anything Bunnie is attached to, like the novena. There's really little else except people who PROMISE open hardware but then also promise shit like
>nvidia GPU

Probly some decent FPGA projects out there though.
>>
>>59558382
>donating to garbage
lmfao
>>
OpenBSD
Tor
Coreboot
CopperheadOS
>>
>>59559503
I hadn't heard of anything specific or big-name in that case. I usually hear of it being used for more minor tasks. Cool to know a few people have realized its power then. I personally use it all the time. I found it more stable and quicker to use than Maya which is what they had us use in school for the stuff.
>>
>>59559517
>LetsEncrypt
>keeping CAs alive for another generation of failure
I am not a fan, even though it's a good project in the current DNS infrastructure that infrastructure is bad to the core.
>Self Signed Cert
>WARNING THIS SERVER IS MISCONFIGURED BUY/GENERATE A CERT OR DONT GET ENCRYPTION AT ALL
>>
>>59559543
>>Self Signed Cert
>>WARNING THIS SERVER IS MISCONFIGURED BUY/GENERATE A CERT OR DONT GET ENCRYPTION AT ALL

Things that never happened.
>>
>>59559573
That's the legit warning they give (almost) word for word.
>Add exception
They basically steer you away from excepting anything. Lets encrypt is fine BUT firefox does hate on self signed certs for no good reason.
>>
>>59559479

Nope, only ever visit /ic/ if I'm looking for design inspirations.

Also, open firmware is no substitute to open hardware. I reckon if the latter was open, the former would be easy to develop. Sadly, there's no open hardware that isn't some silly expensive niche thing.
>>
We need free hardware
Vulkan stuff for gaymes
Unified and polished linux os would be nice, but the project doesn't even exist at the moment
>>
>>59562030
It's called systemd, it will be great and terrible.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.