[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

32-bit deprecation when?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: wcE73Zy.png (400KB, 825x713px) Image search: [Google]
wcE73Zy.png
400KB, 825x713px
So out of many software I've used (both on Linux and Windows, occassionally MacOS a few years back). I am baffled by the reluctance to move programs to 64-bit. Move forward away from the 32-bit hell that is in favor because MS and software companies get mad money, all due to:
>MUH SUPPORT
and
>MUH LEGACY.

When will we see 32-bit die out? It's 2017, this shouldn't be allowed. I know that there are memory limitations on 32-bit programs, and we are long past the time where 4GB ram was enough for everyone.
>>
>>59557174
When 64 bit becomes standard for software.
>>
>>59557182
Shouldn't it already be though?
>>
Not every operation needs to require 64 bits, in fact a lot of operations could make due with 16 bit or 8 bit if they so pleased.
>>
On Linux and OSX 64bit has pretty much taken over. On Linuxt it's possible to install 32bit libraries so you can still run 32bit code but it's generally discouraged. Old 32bit versions of OSX aren't even supported anymore so devs don't have to concern themselves with it. It's really only windows that clings to 32bit, when Microsoft stops supporting 32bit builds of windows then it will probably start to go away.
>>
>>59557502
How do you play old 32 bit mac games on modern mac
>>
>>59557502
That's just it. Due to the whole MUH LEGACY CODE, MUH LEGACY SOFTWARE, I'm pretty sure about it that MS won't deprecate 32-bit anytime soon. A lot of big businesses still run 32-bit software and OS's because specific software written for their servers, workstations, etc. (Looking at you, corporate cucks who still need to stay on XP or 7)
>>
File: 1483208356001.jpg (53KB, 1000x800px) Image search: [Google]
1483208356001.jpg
53KB, 1000x800px
default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib

t. /g/entooman
>>
>>59557524
I think OSX still supports 32bit applications but the actual OS is 64bit so there's no need to make a separate 32bit build of your application anymore. It preserves compatibility but pretty much all new applications are 64bit I believe.
>>
My government is paying MS huge sums of money, so that MS supports them with updates on their XP machines.
>>
>>59557174
32 bit software can run faster in some cases because there is overhead associated with de-referencing 64 bit pointers.
>>
>>59557536
1. Limit 32bit builds to professional/enterprise editions.

2. After a few years release a service pack that moves the 32bit subsystem to an option that you have to enable in the control panel like they did with the UNIX and Linux subsystems.

3. Then announce that the 32bit subsystem is being removed in the next version of windows.

4. Hopefully by this time everyone has moved away from 32bit but also offer extended support for companies that have not.
>>
>>59557726
It's not a huge difference honestly it mostly affects systems with a memory bottleneck or poor general performance and 64bit might actually improve general performance by allowing newer instruction set extensions. The main advantage of 32bit is the memory savings.

Although we could have both with something like the x32 ABI that Linux supports
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.