[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any reason to use Linux in a VM?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1469206884390.jpg (8KB, 250x185px) Image search: [Google]
1469206884390.jpg
8KB, 250x185px
Is there any reason to use Linux in a VM?
>>
>>59549630
What kind of retarded question is this? Of course there is.
>>
>>59549630

there's no reason to use linux whatsoever
>>
>>59549671
>>59549641
What are these reasons?
>>
>>59549630
just dont use it, we dont need more retards
>>
Because of security, stability and educational reasons if you are interested in computer science/programming. Also just for fun. If you like doing projects, you can make tons of stuff. You can customize it however you want. All this WHILE you don't lose the perks of windows.
These are the reasons I could think of for using Linux on VM.
>>
>>59549727
You don't need to be an edgy wanna-be fail hacker retard to use Linux.
>>
>>59549694
A controlled development environment is one. It's easier to have some sort of clean platform to do your development on without your stuff getting in the way or vice-versa (ie: You're running a distro that has certain libs installed in a VM that conflict with what you have installed, or so you don't have like 50 million libraries for multiple projects you have the ones you need for that project alone.)
>>
>>59549727
i didnt said that faggot
>>
File: 1477850400658.jpg (22KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1477850400658.jpg
22KB, 360x270px
>>59549630
>>59549684
>>59549768
>>59549781
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59549727
>aku
samurai jack is gonna fuck him up once he finds his sword
>>
>>59549768
>>59549786
/thread
>>
>>59549630
>Is there any reason to use Linux in a VM?
If you want to try various distros out without creating a "liveCD".

If dual-booting is a pain in the ass because the PC you bought uses a custom UEFI.

I'm sure there are other reasons.
>>
File: 1490039724917.jpg (130KB, 832x1049px) Image search: [Google]
1490039724917.jpg
130KB, 832x1049px
>>59549684

only correct answer ITT
>>
>>59549684
this
>>
>>59549630
It's a good kernel to use with the GNU operating system
>>
>>59549630
I feel like when leaving a voice message, using something like "Solaris" really feels better. It's a much woodier word, not as tinny as "Linux" so you get a better vibe when they eventually call you back
>>
>>59549684
Cute but low quality fud. Think of this the next time you don't quite know how to handle a malware popup. You might say. I could have just browsed that site in a live linux in a vm and I wouldn't have compromised the system that's running on the metal. I could have even scanned it for antivirus in that same linux vm before bringing it my windows environment.

It's just a vm. So easy to start. But no. All has to be windows. That's just a stupid and pointless an ideology as those that will only run linux.

Go bond with someone over a sporting event. You're on a fucking anime image board for god sake. You're not 'normal' anyway.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.