[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fixing a computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 20170323_062617[1].jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_062617[1].jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
hey /g/ first time on this board and just wanted to get some advice/approval.
i received a computer from a friend that has no hard drive and a motherboard that "might be going out soon"
im kind of poor and i have 86$ to spend on it, I play mainly league of legends and overwatch
Im planning on buying a cheap 500 gig hard drive... anybody have any other ideas?

should i save money to get a solid state?
~I also have to have money left over for new power cords, HDMI, etc.
>>
>>59540816
sorry about the low quality image, but this is the machine
>>
>>59540816
For the love of all thing holy dust that bad boy and as an it guy i can say the best upgrade is always going solid state
>>
$86 really isn't enough for a good SSD and cords. You can get a 1TB HDD for around $40ish. How much RAM does it have? 8GB should be plenty. What CPU and video card?
>>
>>59540937
its got 4 ram sicks 8 gigs each (i got them with the pc)
idk the cpu or video card :/
>>
>>59540988
speccy it
>>
>>59540988
my bad i meant 8 sticks with 4 gigs each
>>59540936
I will dust it, but how much more is a solid state and what are the advantages?

Im new to tech so sorry for being dumb
>>
>>59540995
its not running yet, no power cords...
>>
Im also not at home,
so i cant get better photos or find anything right now
>>
>>59541014
So a solid state if you can im imagine is a larger flash drive generally they come with 120 gigabytes for the cheaper ones it's just big enough to store your OS and a few programs if you are not downloading movies and music and hogging up all of your storage space there's no need to have a bigger SSD the main difference between it and a mechanical is you don't have a motor spinning up therefore the system runs quieter faster produces less Heat at cetera etcetera
>>
>>59541111
hell yeah
fucking quads

>>59541115
i could use quieter... sounds good.
>>
>>59541014
Also cords are super cheep just go down to goodwill an , find some they always have comp cord just sitting there spend money on ssd and small gpu if you are only playing . lol. Or games that are not cpu whores just remember if you dont have a gpu the cpu has to share the load what cpu does the system have
>>
>>59541180
I dont know what the CPU is and im not at home so i cant check
however, the person i got it from know computers and says that its a good machine
>>
>>59541149
SanDisk SSD PLUS 120GB Solid State Drive (SDSSDA-120G-G26) [Newest Version] perfect for what you need 49 bucks on amazon then u can get you a cheep gpu from craigslist
>>
>>59541227
mmk thanks man
>>
>>59541220
Based on the picture you have an intel processor on an Sabertooth x79 motherboard Sabertooth are very upgraded motherboards and are pretty solid your Intel is a second Gen processor so a little dated but if it's the i7 that the motherboard is compatible with then you have a very capable processor as well you may have an i5 but that board is made to run with an i7 if he gave you this this is a very great place to start I also see in the picture that you do have a GPU so for you buying an SSD is going to be the best route however you will need to put an operating system on here that's going to cost you a hundred if you want to go Windows 10 or you can get a free pirated copy from the internet of Windows 7 but you didn't hear that from me
>>
>>59541315
sweet, thanks for spending the time to check...
if i can get a hundred quick than ill get windows 10, otherwise I might just pirate it,
does windows 7 work with league and batlenet?
>>
I really appreciate this!
thanks /g/
>>
>>59541347
Yup was playing lol on win 7 dont know about other game but dont see why not thats not an os based this its typically hardware
>>
>>59541400
cool
battlenet=overwatch
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.