[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Singularity Is Near

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: The-Singularity-Is-Near.jpg (97KB, 267x400px) Image search: [Google]
The-Singularity-Is-Near.jpg
97KB, 267x400px
Just how near is the Singularity?

This book is over 10 years old
>>
even if the singularity was here, it'd be ruined by lawyers and bought by comcast
>>
File: morpheus-dx.jpg (73KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
morpheus-dx.jpg
73KB, 1920x1080px
>>59534543
It would transcend our corporations and institutions
>>
>>59534543
What if the singularity manifested as an AI lawyer?
>>
>>59534530

The singularity is a fiction.
>>
The closest thing we're going to get to a "singularity" came and went. It's over, dude. Moore's Law called it quits and now begins the slow and tedious process of learning how to make software correctly because the exponentially-growing well of processing power we had access to made good design principals irrelevant.
>>
Artifcial "intelligence" (or if you will, bloated pattern recognition) is an unneeded gimmick when dedicated software exists, is easier to design and does the job better. I can say at least it lets idiots interface with software. That's fine for consumer devices, but professionals should be trained to use software directly.

Also, the singularity is a fucking meme.
>>
>>59534530
It's over 10 years closer than when the book was written
>>
>>59535041
>Moore's Law called it quits
I thought we just adjusted its timescale.
Though projections said even that would fail us before 2020.
>>
File: gglqntmcmptr8970.jpg (100KB, 1200x627px) Image search: [Google]
gglqntmcmptr8970.jpg
100KB, 1200x627px
>>59535041
and now quantum computers are basically here. Your point?
>>
>>59535041
>now begins the slow and tedious process of learning how to make software correctly because the exponentially-growing well of processing power we had access to made good design principals irrelevant
Software development tends to ebb and flow, though.

We're getting to the point where a lot of web development trends have bloated software, yes. Languages operate at higher and higher levels and sit behind a number of different layers, such as your web server, application interpreter, etc.

But now we're getting to the point where bloated interpreted languages are inspiring new languages that are compiled down to binary, and are coming with more out of the box. For example, you can set up a server with Ruby on Rails sitting behind nginx and get ok performance. Or you can write less code in Crystal and do similar tasks with a nearly-identical syntax, compiled down to binary in an efficient way with enough changes in the syntax to support this optimization.

Further, with cloud computing and container technology making it easier than ever before to break out machines into their own instances, we're seeing the next step in computing technology. This is opening the door to microservice architecture, which is basically OOP, but treating entire instances or machines as a single object. Your Docker image, IAM image (if you're on AWS), or whatever equivalent would be your object's class.

This whole thing is contributing to the realization that a given system doesn't need to exist entirely in a single box. Discrete components can be broken out. Your machines can essentially be dumbed down, meaning that they can perform more operations, faster.

This structural trend will only help to develop better software. It's going to be supported by everyone because these patterns are becoming increasingly simpler, cheaper, and more performant
>>
>>59534530

>Kurzweil

This stooge is an embarrassment. He's been built up as some kind of visionary. The fuck out of here.
>>
>>59534530
The Singularity is like fusion power, it's always right around the corner.
>>
>>59534530
2045 - 2017

28 years. Anyone who reads this book in the current year and thinks the singularity isn't near is retarded and hasn't been paying attention. We're eight years away from mass adoption of self-driving cars, blockchain technology and drone technology. You're telling me that those three technologies alone aren't going to radically transform human civilization in JUST the next 8 years? What kind of shit will be seen as "cool future tech" at that point? Strong AI.

Kurzweil is probably one of the smartest people on the planet and I hope he lives long enough to have his mind uploaded into the hivemind.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.