[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

its not a PC, its a Mac

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: macs.jpg (80KB, 652x408px) Image search: [Google]
macs.jpg
80KB, 652x408px
how did apple get away with calling their computers Macs or their laptops MacBooks
>>
brand recognition is a powerful thing
>>
>>59520188
Because PC stands for "Personal Computer"
>>
>>59520188
Fuck them, I call my MBA my laptop.
When I bought the thing I kept instinctively calling it my macbook, and thought that was fucked because shill shill shill. Had to force myself to just call it a laptop, after a month or so it was completely natural.At first people where all "Don't you mean your macbook?" and I was all "No, it's just my laptop", then they stopped asking, and eventually stopped calling their own devices macbooks.
>>
>Fuck this IBM, intel x86 shit, we're using motorola!
>Fuck motorola, IMB, intel and x86, we're using, okay, it's IBM, but it's not x86!
>Fuck, um, who did we use first? Well fuck IMB's powerpc, we're using x86! We're not IBM PCohwaitshit
>>
>>59520333
kek

Mine And CIA's
>>
File: smug-pepe.jpg (15KB, 199x199px) Image search: [Google]
smug-pepe.jpg
15KB, 199x199px
>>59520503
Watch them switch to ARM.
>>
>>59520333
but Macs are PCs by that definition
>>
Because PC is associated with IBM PC's and their clones. Even though Macs are x86 now they still aren't technically PC compatible.
>>
>>59520188
because they run a different os on proprietary platforms
>>
>>59520918
>Macs
>User having control
>>
>>59520188
It was intentional. Separating themselves into a different category prevents normies from having any amount of buyer's remorse from thinking that there was any chance that they bought wrong. If stuff goes wrong with a laptop, one of the other laptops in that price range might not have had that thing wrong with it. If something goes wrong with a macbook, well... a macbook is the only thing in it's category, so the purchase was still okay. It was bad luck, not a bad purchase.
>>
>>59520188
Because if you build the computer AND you program it, you can call it whatever you want.

If you use a Dell Inspiron, for example, you're technically not using a PC, you're using an Inspiron. But if you have Windows installed on it, you're not just using any Inspiron, you're using an Inspiron with Windows on it. But no one's going to remember to call it a "Dell Inspiron with Microsoft Windows on it." It's easier just to call it a PC. Apple would have the same problem if they didn't make their own OS: people would call Macs PCs, because it would be easier than calling them "an Apple Macintosh with BSD on it." But since all factory-prepared Apple Macintoshes have the Apple Macintosh OS on them -- which, conveniently, has the same name as the hardware -- it's easier just to call them Macs.

In the past few years Microsoft actually finally got in on the name recognition benefits conferred by producing the hardware your software runs on, by releasing the Surface line of products. You don't call a Surface a PC either, you call it a Surface. And it's for that same reason: they all come out of the shop running Windows, so there's no need for a longer name, like "Microsoft Surface running Microsoft Windows" -- and thus no need to just shorten it to the generic "PC."
>>
>>59520382
Why do mac users do this? They NEVER say "laptop" or "phone", it's always

>Oh, let me check my MACbook
>Hang on, I need to grab my iPhone
>>
>>59522091
Nice generalization.
>>
>>59520541
I can't wait
>Hey adobe, know how you've got your stuff super optimized for PPC, just for us
>Yeah Apple, speaking of, we just worked out a way to render t
>Yeah yeah cool, Look, we're switching over to x86
>You're fucking what?
>Yeah, our entire lineup, but hey, I guess it saves you time, only need to make one build now!
Years later
>Hey adobe, we've noticed the iPhone's been out for years now and you haven't done shit with it, no chance you could, ya know..
>YEAH SURE APPLE, PHOTOSHOP FOR ARM ON A <5" SCREEN, SOUNDS FUCKING WONDERFUL
Proceeds to make a photoshop skinned camera app, and other ports with 1/50th the features of the desktop version
>Hey adobe, we're switching to arm
>What do you mean your phones are all arm already? You mean you're just gonna use generic socs, not your own? Why would you tell us
>NO SILLY, we're switching the entire mac lineup TO ARM!
>DON'T WORRY THOUGH, since you've already put so much effort into getting all your shit working on mobile, you'll only have to manage one codebase now! Given apple users are your biggest consumers, you shouldn't have a problem porting this over, will you? By the way, the new mac pro and MB pro launch in two weeks, we've already got a suite of tools going on it if you're not done in time, but you can just compile the iPhone apps for a different screen res if you want!
>>
>>59522091
>it's always

no it isn't.

It's more like "hold on, lemme check". Most people don't ever say "lemme check my phone, lemme check my laptop". That's stupid. You're stupid. If I need to google something quick I'll be like "hold up, lemme check". Not "let me check on google chrome"
>>
IBM coined the term PC compatible. Macintosh's were not.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.