[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The only sane choice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: Apps-Start-Here-Kde-icon.png (18KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Apps-Start-Here-Kde-icon.png
18KB, 256x256px
I've gone through the whole array,

>Gnome
>Cinnamon
>MATE
>xfce
>Unity
>i3 + etc

and I've come to realize that if you run a computer post-2010 not using KDE, you're insane. Sure, KDE Plasma has bugs and all, but if you use some other shit on a modern PC, you have to have either titanium patience, a weird workflow, or be actually retarded.

So, why aren't you using KDE today?
>>
>>59519494
because unity comes OOTB with amazingly sensible keyboard shortcuts and keyboard-driven actions, and doesn't require more than 3 minutes of configuration to look nice (unity tweak tool to set animation texture quality to quick, move the launcher to the bottom, and slap on a numix theme) and the indicators (like classicmenu, todo, diodon etc...), along with the global menu, are really handy and lend to a very cohesive, efficient experience.
>>
>>59519494
>So, why aren't you using KDE today?
Because I don't have titanium patience for KDE's retardation
>can randomly stumble upon a DE crashing bug in 2 minutes
>turns out the bug is 5 years old now
>half the settings don't even work properly or are incredibly truncated and I had to rewrite the configs myself in geany anyway
>present year recommended DE
>tfw no mfw
>>
The last good version of KDE was KDE 3.

At least GNOME has good HiDPI and Wayland support. I am using HiDPI and Wayland, _today_. Plasma 5 is not doing either well. Last I checked KWin on Wayland crashed more often than a blind kid with parkinsons.
>>
>>59519494
If you use anything besides MATE you're fucking retarded, it is the only sensible modern Linux desktop environment with maybe Unity in close second.

If you are so resource strapped that you need to use xfce with its horrible everything then you shouldn't be using a DE at all, and i3 is totally unproductive. Anything else is not even worth mentioning.
>>
File: pepe-the-frog-meme.png (48KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog-meme.png
48KB, 500x282px
>>59519494
I use MATE on openSUSE. There is literally nothing wrong with it.
>>
>>59519494
>gnome
What the actual fuck am I looking at? Why would anyone use this?
>Cinnamon
Hey this is pretty great, it's just like Windows, except that I need to run some xrandr and xinput scripts to properly set up my monitors and disable mouse acceleration. Cinnamon is also pretty unstable in my experience
>xfce
Hey, this is pretty decent and light. Settings menus are lacking in a similar way to cinnamon though.
>Unity
WHY DOES THIS EXIST?
>i3
The concept of this sounded nice. In practice it is not very comfy
>LXDE
It's Windows 95. It runs really nicely on a VM though, so I use it for that.
>KDE
Hey that's pretty good. baloo_file, plasmashell and krunner are using nearly a terabyte of virtual memory together, but overall it seems pretty comfy.
>>
>>59521219
nah, plasmashell crashes. Kwin is a rock. I've been using kwin5 with and without KDE since it came out and I don't think it's ever crashed on me even with some fucked up configs. Also if you're using Kubuntu you're literally not using KDE.
>>
>>59521416
a little late here but no. I'm using Arch.
>>
>>59519675
how you fucking tolerate the dash thing is beyond me. everything else about unity is FINE but nothing great
>>
>>59521219
Try KaOS
>kwinwayland implemented correctly
>HiDPI
>cumfy
>>
>>59521912
I'll bite. What's the base system? Is it custom?
>>
>>59521416
>kubuntu
You know kde neon exists right?
>>
>>59521928
https://kaosx.us
>built from scratch
>pacman + pkgbuilds
>one DE, one toolkit, one architecture
>first release apr 2014
>>
>>59521971
I do! But Kubuntu has always been hacky shit, I don't actually run ubuntu so I can't jump into the neon.
>>
Enlightenment
>>
>>59522003
OK, it looks pretty good. I am currently running Arch, so it wouldn't be a huge leap. Maybe I'll give it a shot on my work computer.

I kind of want to check out KDE neon as well, but I don't know if it's worth the official support to be using a Ubuntu-based distro. I'm addicted to PKGBUILDs...
>>
imagine if all the effort spent building xfce, gnome and its infinity forks, and each of the standalone WMs was poured into KDE instead.
>>
>>59522045
The problem is that it wouldn't work. Everyone wants something a bit different and that's what they get.

If you want a more unified effort, you need a more unified vision. Nobody has that, but the best effort toward a 'vision' so far is probably elementaryOS. Too bad it was far from a unified vision.
>>
File: nothing personal.png (54KB, 192x262px) Image search: [Google]
nothing personal.png
54KB, 192x262px
>teleports behind you
>I only use xterminal and ratpoison window manager
>nothing personal kid but get on my level
>>
>>59521219
>At least GNOME has good HiDPI and Wayland support.
Where?
It's not in settings and the the hidpi in the real settings app only fucking doubles everything which is way too large. KDE 5 can also scale in floats instead of integers only.
But yeah, the crashes...
KDE is its own worst enemy.
>>
>>59519675
stfu
>>
i just use dwm without even a hint of irony
>>
i will use it when it becomes as stable as plasma 4
>>
>>59522272
It's already past the version where that would be possible. I'm still pissed that like 80% of the widgets didn't get translated AND there's no actual compatibility checking for KDE stuff. You go to get some task switcher and over half the stuff in KDE5's list is kde4 only.

The problem with KDE is the organization(s).
>>
>>59519494
Problems with KDE
>Duplicate menu entries in kickoff search [might be fixed by now since it's running krunner in the background]
>Startup very slow
>Arbitrary application windows are open at the start of each session

It's a good DE overall
>>
>>59519494
>why aren't you using KDE today?

it's botnet
>>
>>59523906
In what way?
>>
>>59521242
You've not presented anything to back up your factual assertions. Give it a try, because saying something is 'retarded' because you don't agree with it is a demonstration that you can't argue correctly.
>>
Window Maker is the patrician choice desu
>>
File: 1489824898578.png (171KB, 664x945px) Image search: [Google]
1489824898578.png
171KB, 664x945px
>>59519494
But I am.

>dolphin
>krunner
>incredibly customizable
>build on Qt
Everything else feels crippled in comparison.
>>
File: 10GlmEM.png (205KB, 1280x809px) Image search: [Google]
10GlmEM.png
205KB, 1280x809px
>>
>>59519494
Cinnamon > XFCE > KDE > LXDE/Qt > MATE > GNOME > Unity
KDE is alright. I keep coming back to Cinnamon though. It's just perfect.
XFCE is great because it is super stable and lightweight.
Honestly on a laptop, just use a tiling WM like i3/dwm/sway, seriously not having to use the touchpad on a laptop really makes it worth.
>>
>>59521343
i3 is really comfy on a laptop because touchpads are shit, so being able to do everything by keyboard makes the laptop experience more enjoyable and efficient
On a desktop I 100% agree with you, breaking the mouse breaks workflow
>>
File: 1487968483731.jpg (22KB, 552x539px) Image search: [Google]
1487968483731.jpg
22KB, 552x539px
>>59519675

Hey, honest question, I've been using older Ubuntu versions for a while, and I always liked it. I'm running 16.04 LTS in a VM now, and very often I get these "XYZ stopped working" messages. It's not like a program I used crashed, just some system stuff. Is this something to worry about?
>>
File: 1488562438184.jpg (110KB, 923x591px) Image search: [Google]
1488562438184.jpg
110KB, 923x591px
I miss KDE3 like hell

(no I don't wanna use Trinity)
>>
>>59527426
who is this mammary mastodon?
>>
>>59519494
KDE lags when resizing windows. It's a minor thing but with a i5 4690k and gtx 1080 that should be unacceptable. It also lags on windows. Openbox is the only environment where I dont have any lag at all and i've modified it to work more like KDE (window edge snapping, etc).
>>
File: 002.jpg (273KB, 550x414px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
273KB, 550x414px
>>
>>59527454
werks for me, which window lags when you resize it?
t. i4690k gtx 960
>>
>>59527231
this
>>
>>59519494
not using KDE because im using EXWM
>a weird workflow
nailed it

though when im not programming at all, or writing anything, and wanting to NOT use the keyboard, Plasma 5 is pretty comfy and I like it more than the others as well
>>
>>59527481
All of them do. But to test it fairly, I used Thunar on both. Im also running on 4k resolution. There is a huge difference in redraw time between resizing the window when it' small (< 500x500) vs when resizing it when it's big (> 1500x900)
>>
File: Hipster_Fox.jpg (71KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hipster_Fox.jpg
71KB, 500x500px
>>59519494
I've been a long time unity/Ubuntu user. But after 16.04 lts unity just became a vram hog where my apps were lagging like fuck while resizing or moving the around.
>Inb4 shitty computer
I have a Lenovo yoga 2 pro with the hidpi screen and unity worked the best in terms of hidpi without too many glitches.

>KDE
I installed kde manjaro, wanted to give an arch derivative a try. Honestly I like manjaro and think I'll keep it but kde has way too many glitches where text rendering gets fucked up and things become unreadable on hidpi. Into the trash it goes for now. Don't get me wrong kde looks pretty nice but it needs a lot of rework.

>I3 am
I just installed i3 manjaro and I can say I like it a lot. Everything is just fast, no random bugs or crashes, and it even works on hidpi screen perfectly. Yea I know it has a learning curve but it's worth it with the performance you get.
>>
>>59527454
Does openbox work on hidpi?
>>
>>59527593
Yes, it is in fact one the easier environments to change dpi. You just add
Xft.dpi: 144
to ~/.Xresources file
>>
>>59527420
Uninstall the crash report tool to make those go away, it's called "apport" I believe.
Linux has stuff crashing under the hood all the time, but you only realize this if you're looking for it like apport does.
>>
>>59527630
I'll give it a shot, thanks Anon.
>>
>>59527375
The issue for me wasn't that I couldn't use the mouse; I was on a Dell laptop (atrocius trackpad). I just found that it was cumbersome to tile windows as I wanted and some software refused to cooperate with the WM. It also didn't run particularly well. My CPU was only running at 800MHz though, since that laptop's power brick is no longer recognized and the CPU's clock speed is locked to 800MHz as a result. Still, 20 seconds to open a command line is not great.
>>
>>59527454
>KDE lags when resizing windows
>GTX 1080
That's probably just your video card; it doesn't lag at all for me. Are you on Nvidia or Nouveau?
>>
>>59527454
You probly have a desktop effect on/misconfigured that purposely does stupid animations instead of resizing. KDE is legitimately the fastest by any count but comes with "rice" on by default.
>>
>>59519675
Unity is great, but GNOME is better.
>>
>>59527454
KDE does not work with nvidia cards.
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Nouveau-Tumbleweed-Bad
>>
>>59530041
Yes it does, Nouveau is shit though.
>>
>>59519675

/thread

I just wish Ubuntu becomes a rolling distro and it would finally be GOAT.
>>
I like Cinnamon
>>
File: 1405201619289.jpg (25KB, 500x316px) Image search: [Google]
1405201619289.jpg
25KB, 500x316px
>>59530041
>nouveau
>>
>>59519494
I only use cinnamon and KDE

KDE works, has thumbnails in file picker wew lad
cinnamon is great, works, is very new has bugs
xfce is great but never updated so I dropped it
mate haha garbage, fucking bugs all over
unity lol
gnome lol
i3 + etc lol
>>
>>59530041
This is just wrong.
Just install the proprietary drivers. (system76 if ubuntu based)
>>
File: Goedel3_small.jpg (110KB, 1024x663px) Image search: [Google]
Goedel3_small.jpg
110KB, 1024x663px
I've just booted into Chakra (pictured) on liveusb for the first time, and I've gotta say...

>wow
>comfy
>crisp
>neat
>smooth
>featured
>polished
>perfectish
>kde master race

Seriously, this is just about the nicest distro I've ever dipped into, feels like I just slipped into like the seat of what will become my favorite daily driver for years to come.

>so stoked during the reasonably quick boot when
"Press F12 for Yakuake"
>appears at the top of the screen for a second

Fuck yeah! Thank you, Chakra -- you've just made my life far less aggravating. I know I can just install it myself, but already having one of my favorite terminals ready instantly at a keypress is such a convenient feature.

A+
>>
>>59519494
they aren't using kde for the same reason as why they aren't using windows
>>
>>59530263
Yeah I ran chakra for a while myself before going to regular arch again
>>
>>59519494
KDE3 was great. SUSE give it some support and there is a fork, but i have to let it go.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.