[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Online Computer Science Courses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: 1489818244741.jpg (142KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1489818244741.jpg
142KB, 600x400px
What does /g/ think of CS MOOCS? I have some experience in Visual Basic from high school and a little bit of time in R and Perl from college (studied plant biology), but I'm looking to actually learn computer science at this point.

Should I do MIT 6.00.1x, which is archived and thus I can't get the worthless certificate

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-mitx-6-00-1x-9#!

Or CS50x, which is ongoing but seems to be directed towards normies:
https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:HarvardX+CS50+X/info

or is there a /g/ approved option for self-taught computer science?
>>
>>59517692
CS50 is supposedly good, but it's a bit cringy (although that's no reason to drop it). The first assignment is in scratch (that retarded programming language), and I've seen people here criticize it for that, but that's just the first one, the rest are in C.
>>
>>59517953
Starting with scratch was one thing that turned me off of CS50. I'm not sure if it used to be just C, but now the course promises "Familiarity in a number of languages, including C, Python, SQL, and JavaScript plus CSS and HTML" which means really, it's going to superficially cover all those languages and give you nothing more than codeacademy level experience in any of them.

I'm leaning towards 6.00, but not being able to get the certificate tickles my autism. I'm also unemployed and bored out of my mind so I'll probably kill myself waiting for the next one to start
>>
File: 1474477828816.jpg (39KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
1474477828816.jpg
39KB, 620x349px
>>59517692
Complete waste of time. Also, don't be an idiot and spend money on "certificates".... theyr'e totally useless.

Few years ago, Coursera contacted people who scored the best of their MOOCs and people who took the biggest number of courses and finished them. They promised to help them find jobs and they acted as their recruiter for big SV companies.

After a bunch of interviews, you know how many of them got jobs? ZERO.
>>
>>59518008
https://x.cs50.net/2014/syllabus
The scratch thing shouldn't be a turn off because it's only there because the course tries to cater to people who never programmed anything in their lives. And if you look at the course, they teach you C in the first 8 weeks and then superficially cover webdev, so it's not that bad. If I were you I'd base my choice on whether I want to learn python or C.
>>
>>59518029
I don't really expect a programming MOOC to instantly make me a professional programmer, but I do feel like my ability to progress is limited by a total lack of formal computer science training.

What would you recommend then over a CS MOOC, good old book learning?

>>59518084
The thing is the course seems to be catered to people who've never programmed anything in their lives, while I have some rudimentary coding experience and TONS of non-programming computing experience. 6.00 seems less of a 'programming appreciation' course. That's only the impression I get from the videos.

If I get far enough, I'd like to use programming in research/grad school to tackle botany questions from a bioinformatics approach, which makes me think python experience would be more valuable
>>
>>59518138
Well yeah I would definitely go with the MIT MOOC then, unless you'd need to be able to write wicked fast programs for bioinformatics research (I guess you should look up what's better for your use case). You can always just do a MOOC first and then read a book to expand your knowledge afterwards.
>>
>>59518221
That sounds about right, I should just pick one and stick with it since they are both pretty similar and low commitment (probably 6.00 at this point)

In posting this I was hoping to hear that certificates are useless (they are), or if there was a better way to learn CS than MOOCs, but I'm pretty sure my attention span is too shredded by 4chan to self-learn CS from a textbook
>>
>>59518312
>I'm pretty sure my attention span is too shredded by 4chan to self-learn CS from a textbook
Actually I'm a lazy fuck, but I could learn programming and some basic CS like complexity and sorting algorithms, the things CS50x teaches you, because it's rewarding as fuck compared to maths.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.