[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving from Ubuntu standard to CentOS by the looks of things.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: centos-hay-ubuntu.jpg (17KB, 421x350px) Image search: [Google]
centos-hay-ubuntu.jpg
17KB, 421x350px
Moving from Ubuntu standard to CentOS by the looks of things.

Been on Linux for a few weeks only. Tried many distros [Fedora, Mint, Trisquel, Zorin, Solus, X/K/Lubuntu/Budgie, KDE Neon, Debian, Gecko] but Cent looks stable as fuck and I really won't have time to tinker soon [uni]. I really like Ubuntu but I like CentOS too and I want less botnet. Doesn't seem too hard in comparison to Ubuntu.

Thoughts?
>>
>>59516192
>I really won't have time to tinker
So why choose linux then?
>>
>>59516242

I dislike Apple and Win 8.1+

Ubuntu has been a great experience. Not that much tinkering necessary with it.
>>
>>59516331
Your reasons to use Linux seem kind of autistic

Either way, CentOS is pretty stable. I don't think it takes much time to set up for basic use.
>>
>>59516192
>CentOS on desktop
why
>>
>>59516331
>I dislike Apple
so you're a histrionic contrarian?
>>
>>59516192
>Cent looks stable as fuck
>Cent
Fuck you with a leaf blower. You think you can go around inventing cute fucking nicknames for distros you have never even used, just like that? Disgusting.
>Thoughts?
Errm, right. Where was I... You will be probably disappointed by how much smaller the repos are and how out of date they get. If you're new to Linux and want to try an enterprise flavor, openSUSE Leap is a much better choice. It is worth it for YaST alone.
https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:42.2
Once you've installed it, get additional packages with codecs and shit from http://opensuse-community.org/. It will add a repo that will keep them up to date.
>>
>>59516192
Honestly Linux doesn't take that much time to configure. I installed linux from scratch and only spent a weekend compiling, installing, and configuring it. Most distros you don't have to configure anything if you don't want to.
>>
>>59516192
Well.... for what it's worth, Cent is for servers. Using it as a desktop is an exercise in frustration. You hear people complain about using debian on the desktop? Cent is 1000X worse. If you want a non-botnet desktop, keep looking, cent isn't it. If you want a server, it's not bad. Pretty nice in fact.

When it comes to servers, ubuntu-server isn't botnet. The botnet is in its desktop packages. Also, for servers debian is often nicer than ubuntu, but ubuntu is standard in "the cloud"
>>
>>59516772
>Fuck you with a leaf blower

>Fuck you with a leaf blower

Inventive!

Thanks for your thoughts, and your imaginative suggestion for penetrative instruments. I'll take on board what you say about openSUSE. You think I may find the Cent[OS] repos restrictive, eh? YaST is like Synaptic, from what I gather?
>>
>>59516192
Debian
>>
>>59516827
who uses *nix on desktop? Clearly not the best desktop solution. If you disagree you're an idiot.
Best server solution but not desktop.
>>
>>59516192
>moving from a desktop OS to a server OS
why? just use Ubuntu if you like it. Or KDE Neon if you want KDE. CentOS will be a pain in the ass to use.
>>
File: dodo.jpg (19KB, 490x325px) Image search: [Google]
dodo.jpg
19KB, 490x325px
>>59516861
>who uses *nix on desktop?
Almost every one I know.

Where I work, windows makes up maybe 5% of the desktop OSes. Maybe.

Now that 99% of what people do at work is on the web anyway, windows is going the way of the dodo.
>>
>>59516192
>CentOS
>based or Red Hat
>less botnet
sure kid
>>
>>59516831
>Thanks for your thoughts, and your imaginative suggestion for penetrative instruments.
Always welcome, anon.
>YaST is like Synaptic, from what I gather?
It's more like the Windows Control Panel from back when it was just one Control Panel and not a split-brain archipelago of partially overlapping idiocy. Unlike the Control Panel, however, YaST reads and writes standard plain text config files. So you can look at a config file, change something in YaST, look at the same config file again, and learn from it. It's good for beginners that way.
>>
>>59517001

Good advice. I may well give openSUSE a shot. That download is a bitch though. 4.7 GB or something. Still, why not. You're one of the most helpful anons on /g/ and you clearly know your onions. No Tor-related pun intended.
>>
>>59517055
That's because it includes multiple DEs on the image (KDE+GNOME, I think). It also boots slower than most distros because some default settings are shit and you should disable all server/enterprise bullshit which launches on startup. So it's kinda bloated like windows ultimate/enterprise. But it's still in my personal top 5 distributions.
I haven't used it in over a year so maybe this is all fixed. There's also GeckoLinux which supposedly has a "better" preconfigured system, based on openSUSE. I'm not sure what the differences are desu.
>>
>>59517055
>You're one of the most helpful anons on /g/ and you clearly know your onions.
Why, thank you. I am fucking flattered.

Speaking of lame puns and network protocols that start with 'Tor', you should try to torrent that ISO. There is a .torrent file sitting right next to it. Not only will it save our German friends some network traffic, but it will also be a whole lot faster. Or at least it is like that for me. I don't know where the fuck you're located, so maybe no one's seeding it near your Fortress of Solitude.
>>
>>59516861
Linux runs my games now, why would I use Windows 10 instead of Linux
>>
>>59517331

Yes, I'll torrent it. Thank you. As someone who has been using 4chan on and off since 2006 [it's been an interesting ride, to be brief], I can tell someone who knows their stuff from someone who just wants to appear knowledgeable and cool. Sleep well knowing you've helped someone. Thank you.
>>
>>59517487
Why would you not share all your data and personal information with Microsoft? Do you have something to hide from the US government? Do you think you should have a right for privacy and own personality? Just be a good sheep and install windows 10.
>>
>>59516331
You are going to use CentOS as a personal operating system? I use it as a server for my code, but seems awful as a personal OS.
>>
>>59517567
I want a desktop environment that looks like windows 3.1 mixed with osx. Not the op btw but that's what's drawing me to red hat enterprise 7. Msft can go fuck themselves
>>
Red hat enterprise 7 with gnome 3 looks so plus i fooled around with the first iteration of red hat as a kid so it'd be cool to use it again
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.