[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bash on Windows General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

What is /g/ using Bash on Windows for, anything useful? What has been your experience with it? I've just been playing with it for a couple of days and have mainly tested it with youtube-dl and navigating the file systems (was frustrated until i found Windows at /mnt/c in the Linux file system). I just got X programs to work with it (pic related), only tried gedit so far but it's proof of concept anyways but shows that it is much more powerful that Microsoft is letting on. It's mostly just a cool novelty but it really makes using Windows much more enjoyable. At the end of the day I will be back on my Linux partition for everything but games. It's cool but it's just not in me to move to a non free OS full time.
>>
cygwin is better
>>
>>59515404

It's a bad idea, just for the compatibility headaches. There's no good reason to use it in a dev environment for anything more than vim / ssh

just install Linux if you want to use Linux
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-03-22_15-57-32.png (541KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-22_15-57-32.png
541KB, 1360x768px
>>59515404
>696 packages
Kek, OP here from an Arch VM. This Arch install complete with a full DE only has 467 packages. That's outrageous tbqh.
>>
Embrace
Extend
Extinguish
>>
File: 2017-03-21-224025_717x349.png (61KB, 717x349px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-21-224025_717x349.png
61KB, 717x349px
>>59515562
Slackware > Arch
>>
File: disappointment.jpg (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
disappointment.jpg
30KB, 400x400px
>>59515404
I suggest you disconnect that from the internet and find a way to prevent it from accessing your other partitions that contain sensitive data.
>>
File: file.png (75KB, 753x148px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
75KB, 753x148px
>>59516473
>sensitive data
>>
>>59515404
I got a free download from my professor for Hamilton C Shell, so I don't need bash.
>>
>>59515404
I use it for backing up files to my external hard drive. Doing it via a BackupFiles.sh script is is significantly more effective and efficient than doing everything manually, especially when you have a lot of files to back up.
>>
>>59517175
Yeah but that could be easily accomplished with powershell so bash is unnecessary.
>>
>>59516065
do
ls /var/log/packages
please
>>
>>59517324
I did some retarded while loop with a rm instruction on the packages in that directory and "somehow" it deleted the whole folder. I had no Idea what I was doing. The only thing I could think of was copying the files that I had backed up into a newly created /var/log/packages directory. Those files are all the packages I had minus the base-install. I have no idea how to get the base-packages back and it will cause problems with updates. I guess I'm fried.
>>
>>59517994
Do a
cat /var/lib/slackpkg/PACKAGES.TXT | grep 'PACKAGE NAME' | wc -l

It will list all your packages. Take it from there.
>>
>>59518118
Thanks for the tip!
>>
Wasn't expecting to find a guake style drop down terminal for Windows. Pretty cool tbqh. Though it's not really cool since it's to be expected on Linux, just unexpected on Windows.
>>
>>59515404
i feel you senpai. i'm on my lignux install about 95% of the time, but do have a windows 7 install on my other hard drive, just for playing games really. though i do have cygwin on the windows install, i saw my roommate using bash on windows 10 and it blows cygwin out of the water. it's the only thing that would ever make me consider upgrading to win 10, but at the end of the day i won't (because of all that gross telemetry garbage, and the built-in in-your-face adware).
>>
>>59515404
>implying i'd ever install anything but 7 and/or Linux
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.