[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UseNet, BBSs, etc.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Gnus-reading-news.png (281KB, 640x687px) Image search: [Google]
Gnus-reading-news.png
281KB, 640x687px
What's /g/'s stance on these old timey platforms for online discussion?
>>
>>59509599
>BBSs
JUST WHERE IN THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE.
>>
>>59509630
The specificity of "old timey" should clue the reader in to the subject being the traditional dial-in BBS rather than the modern web forum model.
>>
>>59509599
I'm feeling like we'll soon revert to that. And I'm serious.

Web technologies are now a fucking mess. There's security issues everywhere, you need a quadcore + 8GB RAM to run a web browser and view FUCKING INTERACTIVE DOCUMENTS, you need cloudflare for efficient DDoS protection...

There's a desire for simplicity and reliability, and old platforms are just that. In the end, we just want to communicate freely, and so far, "progress" led us to bloated platfoms that don't even do a tenth of what a BBS used to do.
>>
>>59509599
theres a imageboard that uses nntp
>>
>>59509977
The problem is that google already has its fingers in UseNet and its nature would make astroturfing so much easier than it is on places like Reddit.

Saying that however, I do notice a lot more people are using these technologies what with the spread of those low powered SBCs.

Would be nice to have a more suitable OS for them though that works well with this kind of online usability.
>>
>>59510668
>google already has its fingers in UseNet
You don't HAVE to connect your server to th global usenet, you can keep it isolated.
>>
>>59510708
True, but you can bet it would all spill over.
>>
>>59510668
There's RISC-OS Open, which is compatible with many old RISC-OS programs so I'm sure you could find a Newsreader on one of the Pi telnet boards that have sprung up, or try some RISC boards like arcade.demon.co.uk
>>
>>59510668
just run your own nntp server. it has nothing to do with google.
>>
>>59511010
>is connected to another computer in any way
>nothing to do with google

Oh, honey, you really believe that don't you?
>>
>>59509977
I've really gotten into Usenet, Telnet/SSH BBSs, Gopher, etc. since getting a 10 year old netbook from my brother and I've been loving it. All I really use any graphical stuff for now is the web, and even that has really gone down in my usages.

slrnpull and multimail are so fucking good considering how shite my internet connection is.
>>
File: lynx.png (15KB, 480x418px) Image search: [Google]
lynx.png
15KB, 480x418px
>>59509977
Not only that but the hosting and serving costs are an absolute fraction of multimedia systems. I know of several MUDs running on Raspberry Pis.

What's strange is that you never see environmentalists mentioning the massive draw on power that the high-definition web is.
>>
It does have a certain charm to it. Modern web is a huge mess.
>>
>>59512340
Modern computing in general is a huge mess. The complexity and the sheer power of the web has made start ups for OSs and hardware nearly impossible.

Not only that but it's totally unmanaged nature means that it's a race to the bottom as well as being a huge system draw. If it wasn't for the web I could probably use a 20 year old computer quite comfortably.
>>
Fun fact, if you press Ctrl-L (^L) in vim you can put in a page breaking character that will tell a printer (and some word processors like Writer) to start a new page. Helps make your text a little nicer on the formatting side of things should you expect it to be printable.
>>
>>59509977
>There's a desire for simplicity and reliability, and old platforms are just that. In the end, we just want to communicate freely, and so far, "progress" led us to bloated platfoms that don't even do a tenth of what a BBS used to do.

What are these features that BBSs can do but modern social media platforms can't?
>>
File: bbs100-windows-3.jpg (154KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
bbs100-windows-3.jpg
154KB, 1152x864px
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.