[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mail Client

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 8

File: LTCGHKC.png (388KB, 635x417px) Image search: [Google]
LTCGHKC.png
388KB, 635x417px
What mail client do you use? What is the best, lightest, fastest mail client?

Stand-alone software or web-based interface?

Do you use your phone to read emails?
>>
>>59507122
>What mail client do you use?
Thunderbird
>What is the best, lightest, fastest mail client?
All mail clients are shit
>>
>>59507122
google web mail
>>
>>59507129
>All mail clients are shit
it's sad

i'm gonna give Opera Mail a try, I remember using the build-in client in <12
>>
k9 with gmail + PGP for phone and protonmail for desktop
>>
Thunderbird because I'm a normal person.

Though I do have alpine for my laptop, but that's more because of power draw control than capability. It's probably a placebo but it seems to make the battery last longer going X-less.
>>
File: question.jpg (79KB, 635x668px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
79KB, 635x668px
>>59507122

serious question: why would you need one?

I understood the benefit in the late 90s. When internet access was by the minute - grab your mails and get out.

But why now? For what purpose?
>>
>>59507122
mutt

it's fine
>>
>>59507703
Webmail interfaces are bloated as fuck and put you at risk.

There was recently a phishing attack that posed as an aspect of the gmail UI, but it was actually an external link to a nefarious site.

Not to mention that you can be tracked simply by loading invisible pixels.

Email is text. It makes more sense to display it as text in a terminal.
>>
>>59507122
mutt, thunderbird, rainloop
>>
>>59507122
>ywn sit in the an aesthetic computer room and listening to space sounds all night for a living
why live?
>>
>>59507122
Thunderbird, the one product Mozilla didn't yet manage to fuck up.

Sylpheed was pretty fucking great 10+ years ago on my toaster back then, but I don't know how it or Claws are today.
>>
>>59507122
claws-mail
>>
>>59507122
> What mail client do you use?
GMail for personal mail, Outlook at work.
> What is the best, lightest, fastest mail client?
GMail.
> Do you use your phone to read emails?
No.
>>
>>59507122
Default Mail App on Windows 10 and Gmail on my Android.
>>
>>59507824
enjoy being spied on everywhere
>>
At work I use Evolution (which has a cancerous search function) and for personal mail I use Aquamail on my phone.

Anybody know of a PIM like Evolution/Outlook (no KMail please) that has integrated calendar and can handle Outlook generated meeting invites with a search engine that actually works?
>>
>>59507829
see >>59507830
>>
>>59507122
I have always used Thunderbird, but after all these years, it is slow as fuck on my mailbox

I personally hate Evolution: I can't believe dated it looks

I currently use the windows mail client, because I don't give a fuck, I don't email that much these days, and I only send memes every other day to a friend
it lacks a lot of features, and it has plenty of bugs and annoyances... it is a bad client, desu, so I can't recommend for anything serious

The fastmail webclient is still the best client I have seen so far (way beyond Gmail)
>>
Outlook 2016. AMA
>>
>>59507196
>i'm gonna give Opera Mail a try
it's shit and I uninstalled it
>>
>>59507830
Well, it a matter of degree, unless you run your own mail server you run a risk of being spying on as well.
>>
>>59507876
I am running my own mail server.
>>
>>59507882
Good for you then.
>>
>>59507887
enjoy being spied on everywhere
>>
>>59507876
>>59507882
self hosted mail server is pain in the ass to set up and secure.
>>
>>59507893
I will, thank you.
>>
claws
claws
>>
>>59507901
yeah but once it's done it's done. Then you just need to maintain it.

Also, it's not so much a pain in the ass if you've done it before.

>>59507906
Pleasure
>>
>>59507911
I never done it before.
I tried to install one on my raspi, I'm stuck at half of the postfix configuration.
>>
>>59507901
I've set one up on a VPS but I neither have trust in the VPS nor in the server to not fuck up something. It's good for private stuff, it's not that good for work stuff, except you are a real pro. Do you understand all the options in Postfix/Exim/Dovecot/Procmail?
>>
>>59507991
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-configure-a-mail-server-using-postfix-dovecot-mysql-and-spamassassin
>>
>>59508008
See that is exactly what you shouldn't do.
Following some tutorial without understanding what you are even doing can get you in real trouble if you need reliable mail.
>>
>>59508027
just want to get this guy off the ground. He's gotta start somewhere.
>>
>>59508034
>trusting people on the internet
>>
Get back to clients
Can I use Roundcube as simple client without a self hosted mail server? and install it on a server like a CMS?
>>
>>59508042
fuck off you edgy cunt.
>>
>>59508008
thanks i'll try that

>>59508027
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>59508050
I'd recommend rainloop. I use it myself.
>>
>>59507228
Last time I tried K9 it didn't work with gmail since google uses a different authentication process. Did that change or are there workarounds?
>>
>>59508099
there is a setting somewhere on google to allow classic SMTP/IMAP auth, with a warning "blah blah blah less secure"
>>
would it be worthwhile to develop a mail client? maybe something electron based. the equivalent to chromium what thunderbird is to firefox.

thoughts?
>>
>>59508136
please don't write javascript code unless you're trying to animate an element on a website.
>>
>>59508083
looks neat
>>
>>59508162
fair enough, js is a pile of shit, I can agree
>>
>>59508182
but yeah, why not. Open Source it, through it on github and we'll contribute.
>>
i have all relevant emails synced to my phone since its always near me and i switch between my laptop and desktop a lot every day along with dual booting on both so i dont feel like setting up a mail client for 4 different OSs

other than that ill log into gmail when i need to do work on whatever system im using atm
>>
GNUS.
>>
File: 1489221665473.gif (2MB, 250x140px) Image search: [Google]
1489221665473.gif
2MB, 250x140px
>>59508127
That doesn't seem like a good solution. I'll wait until they finally fix it I guess.
>bug report from 22 may 2015
https://github.com/k9mail/k-9/issues/655
>>
>>59507122
Thunderbird
None, they've all decided to become office suites that also check mail.
>Stand-alone software or web-based interface?
I don't care, sorry
>Do you use your phone to read emails?
Yeah
>>
>>59507122
Thunderbird
>What is the best
i´d say Thunderbird
>lightest, fastest mail client?
i´d guess Mutt though it´s quite some time since i used it
Stand alone software i have never seen a web based interface that worked as well as a normal one
phones are cancer and should only be used for calling people
>>
File: 2017-03-21-122457_387941668.png (127KB, 1218x542px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-21-122457_387941668.png
127KB, 1218x542px
>>59507122
mutt

using email suddenly was no longer insufferable like with the hotmail web client
>>
I am also a mutt user, at least on my laptop.
>>
Outlook 16
>What is the best
Outlook just werks. Thunderbird is okay if you don't mind a garbage calendar
>lightest, fastest mail client?
Something that runs in your terminal
Sometimes forced to use webmail but standalone software is much better
Rarely
>>
>>59507122
>What mail client do you use? What is the best, lightest, fastest mail client?
>>59507815
>>59507909
These are the correct answers to all facets of those questions.

Personal & professional mail: stand-alone software.
Throwaways, junk addresses, signup addresses, etc: web client.

No.
>>
>>59507993
>I've set one up on a VPS

What is the point of that, though? With gmail, you're trusting Google, who will undoubtedly give the entire contents of your email to any government agency that asks. With a VPS, you're trusting the VPS provider, who will also undoubtedly give the entire contents of your email to any government agency that asks.

Don't even say you encrypt the stuff on the VPS. Even if you did, they could still log every email that comes in and goes out. Or they could log your encryption password. Or whatever.

So why bother with a VPS which costs money when it provides no benefit at all to your personal privacy?
>>
Been in a Unix environment since the mid 1990's and I still use a MH implementation called mmh, and use fetchmail and msmtp for retrieving and sending mail to my smarthost (self hosted sendmail on Ubuntu vps)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MH_Message_Handling_System
it was the subject of the very first book published on the internet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MH_&_xmh:_Email_for_Users_&_Programmers
Here is a link to mmh. http://marmaro.de/prog/mmh/
Its also available in Debian sid.
>>
>>59509221
actually plenty of VPS operate outside the US and its allies which is where most of one's spying concerns would come from

why would i care if the FSB or whatever has my email data if im not living in russia nor ever plan to

the real trouble with a VPS is its really on you to secure your server while with gmail google handles it and at worst its just governments spying on data and not someone who could actively use it right then and there to blackmail you for something petty
>>
I use the default Win 10 mail client at work because it's just used to send and receive invoices, quotes and orders mainly no fucks given i use the default Gmail app on my phone for my personal email addresses (a Gmail and a startmail) and on my main machine and laptop i don't use a client because i don't see a reason to.
>>
>>59509221
There are no gag orders from agencies where I live. They would need a letter from a judge to get to my VPS.
But yeah you have to trust your VPS provider. Like you have to trust your ISP, DNS-server, VPN-provider, search machine, web shop, etc, etc to not fuck around with your data. There is no transparency, which would make the law most important - there is only trust.
>>
>>59510319
What VPS provider do you use?
>>
>>59507122
Thunderbird, for a decade now. It isn't available on Android, otherwise I'd use it on Android as well.
I use Thunderbird for mail, RSS and calendars. Put TT DeepDark and it looks lovely.
>>
>>59507703
How are you going to read your old emails when the internet is down of Google just decides to close down Gmail because it's still in beta.
>>
>>59507703

What if you have more than one email address?
>>
>>59507122
Eudora
>>
>>59507122
trojita, geary and thunderbird are all fine pieces of software famalam. standalone or bust.
>>
File: Ashlands_02_zps995d5151.jpg (71KB, 1024x646px) Image search: [Google]
Ashlands_02_zps995d5151.jpg
71KB, 1024x646px
>>59512819
Why would google close down its greatest data miner? It has absorbed everyone into its botnet.
>>
File: 1484139201904.jpg (17KB, 249x243px) Image search: [Google]
1484139201904.jpg
17KB, 249x243px
FossaMail, of course

Anyone arguing different is a faggot
>>
I use claws-mail, but I wonder how many of you faggots use (or remember, since it's been around since the 90's) The Bat? Windows-only and non-free in both senses, but hands down the most comfy and feature-rich fucking MUA ever created. I'd gladly pay for a Linux port if there was one.
>>
File: bat.png (143KB, 516x411px) Image search: [Google]
bat.png
143KB, 516x411px
>>59515827
>The Bat
My nigga. I used it for about 10 years until migrating to Thunderbird 2 years ago. It was good, fast, and comfy.

I got full version for free bundled with some shitty magazine. I actually still have it installed and kind of in use because it's part of a certain daily scheduled task I have set. I never felt like figuring out the command line for Thunderbird since The Bat just werks.
>>
>>59507799

Sylpheed is still just fine.

I use it and gmail web interface.
>>
>>59507122
Opera Mail on desktop, BlackBerry Hub on my phone.
Standalone
Quite often.
>>
File: frodo.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>be me
>first email was aol
>never used it
>next had msn
>never used it much
>a friend gave me an invite to gmail alpha
>using it ever since
>every time I open up a desktop email client tons of scary shit pops up asking me to port this and do that, so I close it
>just opened evolution
>it set up with a few clicks of buttons
>I think i'll use this now
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.